Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

I like the lava looking color, but not the blue-pink-etc.. coloring. It should just stay the look of lava, since it's a volcano.
I think it's supposed to represent water being overrun with lava. They might be better off switching the blue out for white light, or at least a much lighter blue.

I like what they're going for, but it needs some more tweaking.

Really? I'd be in there in a heartbeat. As much as I moan about the lack of detailing, I still think it would be a great day out.

If you were there on holiday tomorrow, would you visit?

I wasn't very specific but I meant more that I would not specifically make a trip to visit volcano bay if I lived in the US or closer in general. Obviously I would visit if I was on vacation doing theme parks etc in the area anyway as it would be stupid not too. My main reason is because after watching all of the construction etc seeing what has not been finished I think the park still offers a lot more potential and would rather spend my money and make a specific trip to see the place when its really running efficiently and things are pretty much finished out side of planned expansions etc just so I know I can maximise my time there and get the full potential out of the park. I think the entire experience can only get better as staff and systems become more efficient through experience and time, also I think the tapu tapu can become much smoother in operation.

Obviously I have not been and I am not saying I wouldn't enjoy it because I 100% would love it but even if I lived a few hundred mile away I wouldn't visit for a while until things are sorted out or at least to a level where I think they should have been before opening. At the end of the day most of us don't buy a product and expect it to be unfinished or pay for a service and expect half a service and it should be no different for a theme park and for me personally after paying such close attention to the park through this forum and reviews etc I would not be willing to hand over my money right now for something I think should have been further along inc completion to ask for peoples hard earned money. It is evident for all to see now they opened too early and there was more left to be done than I think many anticipated and I don't think that is fare on the paying customers having to miss out on some features or areas no matter how big or small that in reality should have been open when the park opened.

With all that said I am determined to visit once I can save enough money to cross over the large pond between me and Florida, without having heaps of spare cash I kind of pays in my favour considering it will be a couple years yet before I can afford it. IF I had lived closer yeah I would visit just not yet :)

Side note - Just catching up on OrlanDaves video update and at 15mins it is the first time I have seen the waves working at the exit of the volcano and they look exactly what I was expecting from the fearless river! The river is looking much better I just think it looks a little slower than I had anticipated but then again there is a certain amount of safety that needs to be considered otherwise the thing would be lined entirely by lifeguards, now they just need to sort that volcano pass through visually :lol:.

A quick thought on Tapu Tapu. Does anyone else alss think that it has way more potential than what it is currently programmed to do in terms of ride scheduling between guests. I feel like a device for this purpose in the future could potentially be programmed with way more accuracy in terms of ride scheduling and give more options for reserving multiple rides but also for cancelling rides and then giving the next customers more options to use the slide sooner or later.

For example. You book 4-5 slides, It orders them in terms of current wait time but if someone doesn't turn up for their slot or cancels it figures out who was next to book and offers them an earlier time or you can hold on to your original expected time and then if there are delays for whatever reason give you the opportunity to hold spot or cancel that ride and wait for the next one or even pause your current slide reservation because you are maybe eating longer than expected so it reschedules and again offers someone else next in line the earlier opportunity, like you could be walking around and it pops up and says ride now - yes or no? as you maybe close and not doing anything whilst waiting. I have probably described exactly how it works anyway :lol: but I have no experience from it so from the basics I have read it is just that at the moment, very basic in functionality. I think because the system is new they really only let you do two rides currently at once and once this thing becomes more refined and they have loads of park data to analyse in terms or slide patterns for guests and which ones are more popular they should be able to intelligently program tapu tapu with more features and more options, at the end of they day it is simply software and can be written to display whatever and figure out whatever it needs to.

Last edited:
The only thing with doing that is you've then got 4/5 more bookings for the system to deal with, there are plenty of features that Tapu Tapu can do and most have them have already been implemented ie push notifications and payments

I think it's supposed to represent water being overrun with lava. They might be better off switching the blue out for white light, or at least a much lighter blue.

I like what they're going for, but it needs some more tweaking.

I figured they would have done some slick projection mapping to show the volcanic spill taking over the cascading water, but alas... and just like those "temporary" string lights, I think what you're seeing is what you're gonna get. Doesn't look like much to hang around for as I'm sure families who have time for Volcano Bay on their vacations will have already prearranged dinners etc.

I don't think the blue looks too bad, but maybe would make more sense of the volcano was some kind of temple or something. Me thinks the big rumbling volcano should play to its strengths and keep things orange and red.

I wasn't very specific but I meant more that I would not specifically make a trip to visit volcano bay if I lived in the US or closer in general. Obviously I would visit if I was on vacation doing theme parks etc in the area anyway as it would be stupid not too. My main reason is because after watching all of the construction etc seeing what has not been finished I think the park still offers a lot more potential and would rather spend my money and make a specific trip to see the place when its really running efficiently and things are pretty much finished out side of planned expansions etc just so I know I can maximise my time there and get the full potential out of the park. I think the entire experience can only get better as staff and systems become more efficient through experience and time, also I think the tapu tapu can become much smoother in operation.

Obviously I have not been and I am not saying I wouldn't enjoy it because I 100% would love it but even if I lived a few hundred mile away I wouldn't visit for a while until things are sorted out or at least to a level where I think they should have been before opening. At the end of the day most of us don't buy a product and expect it to be unfinished or pay for a service and expect half a service and it should be no different for a theme park and for me personally after paying such close attention to the park through this forum and reviews etc I would not be willing to hand over my money right now for something I think should have been further along inc completion to ask for peoples hard earned money. It is evident for all to see now they opened too early and there was more left to be done than I think many anticipated and I don't think that is fare on the paying customers having to miss out on some features or areas no matter how big or small that in reality should have been open when the park opened.

With all that said I am determined to visit once I can save enough money to cross over the large pond between me and Florida, without having heaps of spare cash I kind of pays in my favour considering it will be a couple years yet before I can afford it. IF I had lived closer yeah I would visit just not yet :)

Side note - Just catching up on OrlanDaves video update and at 15mins it is the first time I have seen the waves working at the exit of the volcano and they look exactly what I was expecting from the fearless river! The river is looking much better I just think it looks a little slower than I had anticipated but then again there is a certain amount of safety that needs to be considered otherwise the thing would be lined entirely by lifeguards, now they just need to sort that volcano pass through visually :lol:.

A quick thought on Tapu Tapu. Does anyone else alss think that it has way more potential than what it is currently programmed to do in terms of ride scheduling between guests. I feel like a device for this purpose in the future could potentially be programmed with way more accuracy in terms of ride scheduling and give more options for reserving multiple rides but also for cancelling rides and then giving the next customers more options to use the slide sooner or later.

For example. You book 4-5 slides, It orders them in terms of current wait time but if someone doesn't turn up for their slot or cancels it figures out who was next to book and offers them an earlier time or you can hold on to your original expected time and then if there are delays for whatever reason give you the opportunity to hold spot or cancel that ride and wait for the next one or even pause your current slide reservation because you are maybe eating longer than expected so it reschedules and again offers someone else next in line the earlier opportunity, like you could be walking around and it pops up and says ride now - yes or no? as you maybe close and not doing anything whilst waiting. I have probably described exactly how it works anyway :lol: but I have no experience from it so from the basics I have read it is just that at the moment, very basic in functionality. I think because the system is new they really only let you do two rides currently at once and once this thing becomes more refined and they have loads of park data to analyse in terms or slide patterns for guests and which ones are more popular they should be able to intelligently program tapu tapu with more features and more options, at the end of they day it is simply software and can be written to display whatever and figure out whatever it needs to.
This water park wasn't built to attraction people from around the world, the big parks do that..This park will benefit from the resort guests and locals, like me

I can see where you're coming from. I'm not saying you care more than everybody else here because that's a crazy thing to say but you were certainly one of the top posters in this thread for about a year before the park opened and I think it's completely understandable to want that great first impression. Hopefully, you'll get a trip booked soon.

I think if I lived in the area, I'd probably still go and I'd be curious to see the progress on each new trip. I do have thoughts about how often I would go to the parks if I lived in Orlando and had an AP.

I can see where you're coming from. I'm not saying you care more than everybody else here because that's a crazy thing to say but you were certainly one of the top posters in this thread for about a year before the park opened and I think it's completely understandable to want that great first impression. Hopefully, you'll get a trip booked soon.

I think if I lived in the area, I'd probably still go and I'd be curious to see the progress on each new trip. I do have thoughts about how often I would go to the parks if I lived in Orlando and had an AP.
I've been mulling over whether to do a three park pass when I reup my AP in the Fall. One of the prominent insiders even asked me if I thought it was worth including VB. Now, I'm an old head that doesn't do many water slides due to bad knees from decades of soccer,so I just do the raft ones. But both rivers, the Wave Pool and the park's ambiance look great to me, even though it still needs finishing touches. So, I'm close to 100% sure I'll do the three park AP since there's no doubt I'll spend portions of quite a few days of my vacations at VB. Just can't pass up the convenience of it being right next to the hotels. I like Disney's two water parks, but rarely go to them since it's a pain to travel the long distances from Disney on site hotels. Next door to hotels parks at Universal is a genius move & just adds to the relaxation/leisure factor of a Universal vacation.

Last edited:
I've been mulling over whether to do a three park pass when I reup my AP in the Fall. One of the prominent insiders even asked me if I thought it was worth including VB. Now, I'm an old head that doesn't do many water slides due to bad knees from decades of soccer,so I just do the raft ones. But both rivers, the Wave Pool and the park's ambiance look great to me, even though it still needs finishing touches. So, I'm close to 100% sure I'll do the three park AP since there's no doubt I'll spend portions of quite a few days of my vacations at VB. Just can't pass up the convenience of it being right next to the hotels. I like Disney's two water parks, but rarely go to them since it's a pain to travel the long distances from Disney on site hotels. Next door to hotels parks at Universal is a genius move & just adds to the relaxation/leisure factor of a Universal vacation.

The close proximity at UOR is a blessing and a curse. I wish they had more room to expand but I love how close everything is. You have to wonder if VB changed the hotel design for Aventura or if it even made it possible. Every hotel had a good sized pool before VB but does Aventura need one with VB just across the road?

The close proximity at UOR is a blessing and a curse. I wish they had more room to expand but I love how close everything is. You have to wonder if VB changed the hotel design for Aventura or if it even made it possible. Every hotel had a good sized pool before VB but does Aventura need one with VB just across the road?
Sure. Every resort hotel needs a pool. Lot's of people don't bother with water parks, even if they're close.

Sure. Every resort hotel needs a pool. Lot's of people don't bother with water parks, even if they're close.

I've never really thought about going to a water park as an option but then again, I've never been to a hotel that close to one. In the past 20 years, the only place this has been possible was a select few hotels next to WnW.

I think VB would be a nice place to go for a 'pool day'.

The only thing that would be a hindrance would be trying to find a bed and the lack of a refillable cup that's already paid for at the hotel.

I cut this down a little, but w/ the Tapu Tapu, I do not know if this is infrastructure (say guest WiFi or maybe mobile payments devices that servers carry)...but it could (I would think) just as easily be used to get an idea of how many Tapu's pass by...I have no clue and I am sort of asking as well, but the tech side of me thinks a device like this can be many things.

35338521050_1e6afa1319_c.jpg

I cut this down a little, but w/ the Tapu Tapu, I do not know if this is infrastructure (say guest WiFi or maybe mobile payments devices that servers carry)...but it could (I would think) just as easily be used to get an idea of how many Tapu's pass by...I have no clue and I am sort of asking as well, but the tech side of me thinks a device like this can be many things.

35338521050_1e6afa1319_c.jpg
Saw those near the top of Oyah and Ohno, too! Probably can count how many pass by and/or trigger a message. I bet it activates the message to tell you to return your TapuTapu near the park exit or erases the "Enjoy Ohno" message once you reach the end of the line.

The fiber optic thing is just broken, not enhanced and broken. The way fiber optics work is just a light shining on one end to the installed patterns on the other end. An LED light that mixes diodes broke and so the red and green are showing.

Saw those near the top of Oyah and Ohno, too! Probably can count how many pass by and/or trigger a message. I bet it activates the message to tell you to return your TapuTapu near the park exit or erases the "Enjoy Ohno" message once you reach the end of the line.

I completely forgot that TapuTapu vibrates and reminds you to return it as you approach the exit.