Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This pisses me off...
Edit: After looking at the menus... what a joke. :mad:

You've got to be kidding me.

We've been in a theme park food golden age. Disney and Universal have been killing it with unique, delicious food.

And then Universal pulls this kind of nonsense. Forgive me, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that Universal had issues selling Tacos. Moreover, who wants chili dogs and bacon cheeseburgers over tacos and seafood?

I pray this is temporary. I hope this doesn't encourage Universal to start dumbing down their menus elsewhere in the resort.

We've been in a theme park food golden age. Disney and Universal have been killing it with unique, delicious food.

And then Universal pulls this kind of nonsense. Forgive me, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that Universal had issues selling Tacos. Moreover, who wants chili dogs and bacon cheeseburgers over tacos and seafood?

I pray this is temporary. I hope this doesn't encourage Universal to start dumbing down their menus elsewhere in the resort.
I swear to god if they do...... Universal has the best food of any of the theme parks year-round (not counting festivals)

Or ya' know it might just be things like:

The tacos were often poorly reviewed, mostly due to soggy shells...

Seafood has a shorter shelf life, and while the Poke bowls were well reviewed, they may not have been purchased enough to be cost effective to continue to offer...

And speaking of cost effective, if they're not selling enough specialty burgers (which made up a large part of the cuts list) then it's not cost effective to carry multiple types of meats,(or in one case, vegetarian fake meat,) for so many types of burgers, especially if one type of burger is selling more than all the other types combined.

It's been long enough to see what sells well and what doesn't. They've had a chance to watch how long things sit before being sold. And I'm sure they've been calculating how to save money by bulk ordering only the more popular things, and dropping the ones that sell less often, (even if they were well received.)

I for one am glad they at least kept some of the healthier/lighter options like salads and even sushi.

I gotta believe if the fancy stuff was selling, it would still be on the menu. This menu revamp sounds like a simple case of supply & demand to me.

But it also could be that the "good" food was more difficult and time-consuming to prepare and that was causing the long food lines that we've been hearing about?

Or ya' know it might just be things like:

The tacos were often poorly reviewed, mostly due to soggy shells...

Seafood has a shorter shelf life, and while the Poke bowls were well reviewed, they may not have been purchased enough to be cost effective to continue to offer...

And speaking of cost effective, if they're not selling enough specialty burgers (which made up a large part of the cuts list) then it's not cost effective to carry multiple types of meats,(or in one case, vegetarian fake meat,) for so many types of burgers, especially if one type of burger is selling more than all the other types combined.

It's been long enough to see what sells well and what doesn't. They've had a chance to watch how long things sit before being sold. And I'm sure they've been calculating how to save money by bulk ordering only the more popular things, and dropping the ones that sell less often, (even if they were well received.)

I for one am glad they at least kept some of the healthier/lighter options like salads and even sushi.

But they completely neutered the specialty burgers. It's just bacon cheeseburgers now. I understand condensing the menus to cut some corners, but I don't see how BBQ Chicken Pizza can get the boot but Seafood Mac & Cheese can survive in a water park restaurant.

My god. UNIVERSAL WHY?!?

If I was to throw a guess out there, I'd say the negative early reviews are playing a role here.

If enough people complain, some items might return.

I'm a little confused by it though as I thought the general consensus was that the food was all good.

Maybe @Brian G. can chime on if there's anything he's going to miss that's going as he's probably tried more than anybody else here.

I gotta believe if the fancy stuff was selling, it would still be on the menu. This menu revamp sounds like a simple case of supply & demand to me.

But it also could be that the "good" food was more difficult and time-consuming to prepare and that was causing the long food lines that we've been hearing about?
I can totally buy the long food lines idea. That seems reasonable. Honestly, I don't know who I'm frustrated at the most: Universal or park guests. I do have to give Universal some credit for trying to push the envelope with food. I just hope that Universal keeps trying to do better food and that the public responds favorably to it.

Hmm I really liked the Bambu burger, but it did take pretty long to make. With the food lines being one of the largest complaints, prep time probably had a large hand in this one. Although I really was hoping there would have been a table service restaurant in VB, the early concept art kinda gave that impression.

Like everyone else, I am also disappointed by the menu changes. I loved that VB had unique food. I hope the same doesn't happen at Satu'li, but I'm afraid it could.

Different topic, but still VB: there was a line to get into TeAwa Fearless River this afternoon. I've never seen that before. I'm not talking about a little crowd - at one part of the day, the line went past The Feasting Frog! Sheesh.

Last edited:
This is horrible. :lol: One of the elements of the park that was supposed to make it unique has already been neutered. I'm sure this has all to do with their inability to get these items out at a decent pace and less to do with their sales.

Reactions: 12th Man
I didn't look at the new menu. I did have a fish sandwich the times I ate lunch there and I loved having that, but, I'm a passholder. I was not there to see the park in a day when I was there.

Anyway, if we are coming into the slower season, does the park start closing at 5 PM? Is the park even opening for dinner? Maybe it's only worth serving lunch, and with that, do you just dumb down the menu to be more lunch like and less dinner like?

Goodness, the new menu is looking like something that you would find at Adventure Island in Tampa...

This is off topic, but I was wondering if there was any chance of too much water pressure pulling down my swim suit on Ko'okiri Body Plunge, Kaia & Tai Nui, and Ohyah and Ohno. I know that sounds like an immature question but I really wanted to know because if I can avoid being embarrassed that would be great.

This is off topic, but I was wondering if there was any chance of too much water pressure pulling down my swim suit on Ko'okiri Body Plunge, Kaia & Tai Nui, and Ohyah and Ohno. I know that sounds like an immature question but I really wanted to know because if I can avoid being embarrassed that would be great.

No issues.

Reactions: Joel
A little off topic, but what's your ideal water park?

Varied tube slides (as in, you're in a tube) with multiple paths and route and such, through mostly natural looking landscape or highly themed areas (no blatant plastic slides).

So, lots of this (multi-routes, at end of each bit you choose from 2-3 options for next segment)..

But a little more of this aesthetic for the "natural" flumes:

But with Atlantis or higher level theming and stuff to explore.

But I'd like some of this too..