Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I mean when I see this every summer it's a little hard to be impressed in Orlando. ;)

Co3gv2IWIAAu1nG.jpg
I spent many a day traveling across that narrow spit of land to enjoy those coasters on that beautiful island on Lake Erie. But with age came way more enjoyment of the well themed attractions at Universal and Disney. Frankly, unthemed coasters bore me now. And I rode all of those good coasters at Cedar Point, King's Island, King's Dominion, Hershey Park, Geauga Lake, Canada's Wonderland and BGW multitudes of times. The only unthemed coasters that really interest me much now are the three classic woodies at Kennywood that seem to have more substance than any of the behemoth steel monsters. :)

Well I mean when I see this every summer it's a little hard to be impressed in Orlando. ;)

Co3gv2IWIAAu1nG.jpg

Wait until that horizon features the hyper Steel Vengeance. Ahhhhh. Best view anywhere. Major steel makes a park better without question. I am curious to find out more about what all the DD replacement will entail.

When IOA opened with Dueling Dragons and The Incredible Hulk, Universal established itself as a Hybrid park with Disney style immersive theming AND big steel. That is what set them apart from Disney.

They seem to be backing off the big steel part of that. Sad.

I personally like big steel in my theme parks. I've played "Who can spot the coasters first" game driving to the parks since the '70s.
Big steel does not mix well with Disney style theming.

Good riddance DC, please let the door hit you many times on your way out :D

When IOA opened with Dueling Dragons and The Incredible Hulk, Universal established itself as a Hybrid park with Disney style immersive theming AND big steel. That is what set them apart from Disney.

They seem to be backing off the big steel part of that. Sad.

I personally like big steel in my theme parks. I've played "Who can spot the coasters first" game driving to the parks since the '70s.
I would argue that they worked the big steel into the park design rather well...Hulk fits because it is in an industrial looking island...Dragons is largely unintrusive to the rest of the park and the intertwined nature is - dare I say it - artistic looking

I will miss it, but I believe this move will only further flesh out and make IOA a much more rounded out park

New Pottah coaster project >> Dragons Challenge

I don't want anymore Pottah but it will be an impressive and fun attraction

And make bank, which brings more attractions, hotels and parks.

God bless Harry Potter.

I know a few that think we have hit potter overload, but with the new park and new attractions potter will keep getting diluted and will be a smaller percentage of the offerings once we get more and more additions coming online.

And make bank, which brings more attractions, hotels and parks.

God bless Harry Potter.

I know a few that think we have hit potter overload, but with the new park and new attractions potter will keep getting diluted and will be a smaller percentage of the offerings once we get more and more additions coming online.

Exactly. Forbidden Forest and MoM will completely flesh out HP as the largest, most elaborate and immersive theme park land in the entire world (as if it wasn't there already). It would only be missing the black lake and Great Hall- both of which could be added in the future as it is unlikely the entire DC plot will be used here.

I would argue that they worked the big steel into the park design rather well...Hulk fits because it is in an industrial looking island...Dragons is largely unintrusive to the rest of the park and the intertwined nature is - dare I say it - artistic looking

I will miss it, but I believe this move will only further flesh out and make IOA a much more rounded out park
It's intrusive on Hogsmeade.

I too am concerned that Universal is going away from the contrast it has had with Disney (this is why HHN is so important!). Yet, their attendance has been rising (only parks in FL to report an attendance increase last year--given how bad last year was for Orlando, that is extraordinary), and the SW parks, which probably offer the most contrast with Disney, seem to be in a tailspin.

It's funny reading the contrast in generally positive opinions this forum (and forums like DIS and WDWMagic, along with most other theme park sites) has about Harry Potter, with the unrelenting hatred Theme Park Review has for HP. I used to frequent that site but it's become such a hivemind (DAE ROWLING IZ SATAN?!) that I can't stand it anymore.

I too am concerned that Universal is going away from the contrast it has had with Disney (this is why HHN is so important!). Yet, their attendance has been rising (only parks in FL to report an attendance increase last year--given how bad last year was for Orlando, that is extraordinary), and the SW parks, which probably offer the most contrast with Disney, seem to be in a tailspin.

It's funny reading the contrast in generally positive opinions this forum (and forums like DIS and WDWMagic, along with most other theme park sites) has about Harry Potter, with the unrelenting hatred Theme Park Review has for HP. I used to frequent that site but it's become such a hivemind (DAE ROWLING IZ SATAN?!) that I can't stand it anymore.

Yep, we are a friendly forum and generally everyone gets on despite differing opinion on a manner a subjects.

Naturally we have our moments but on the whole discussion here is on a level where people can discuss and take onboard those differing opinions which leads to intellectual conversation from many areas of life.

Welcome aboard fellow themepark friend :wave:

It's kind of typical that the major theme park sites, which are primarily Disney oriented sites, and the general internet You Tube crowd that watches videos but doesn't really experience attractions physically, trashes all things Universal. Usually Universal's new attractions (Potter included), even though they're generally the best new theme park attractions, get trashed on the internet when they debut. That's why I never pay attention to posts where people say a new Universal attraction is getting bad reviews, since the truth of the matter is that the pro Disney internet crowd always trashes Universal's new offerings. Even attractions like FJ, Gringotts & HE were mostly given negative reviews. So many people just can't accept the reality that the little upstart Universal can produce as good, if not better, attractions than Disney at a lower cost. I like Disney too, but I'm not very enamored of their hard core fans that can't accept the competition's competency, or the fact that Disney is not on a island by itself anymore. :) ...and as UK Trigg stated so well, welcome to our Forum, which is fairer and more friendly (with a couple of exceptions) than most of the other's out there. :):thumbsup::cheers:

^Love FJ and HE, not a big fan of EFG (aside from the mind blower of a queue).

^^ Thanks! I've been a member of HNN for a while.

Last edited:
It's kind of typical that the major theme park sites, which are primarily Disney oriented sites, and the general internet You Tube crowd that watches videos but doesn't really experience attractions physically, trashes all things Universal. Usually Universal's new attractions (Potter included), even though they're generally the best new theme park attractions, get trashed on the internet when they debut. That's why I never pay attention to posts where people say a new Universal attraction is getting bad reviews, since the truth of the matter is that the pro Disney internet crowd always trashes Universal's new offerings. Even attractions like FJ, Gringotts & HE were mostly given negative reviews. So many people just can't accept the reality that the little upstart Universal can produce as good, if not better, attractions than Disney at a lower cost. I like Disney too, but I'm not very enamored of their hard core fans that can't accept the competition's competency, or the fact that Disney is not on a island by itself anymore. :) ...and as UK Trigg stated so well, welcome to our Forum, which is fairer and more friendly (with a couple of exceptions) than most of the other's out there. :):thumbsup::cheers:

See I never understood why people just don't generally like nice things regardless of what company made it?

I used to frequent DIS and magic, a lot more than here, and went to Disney a lot more often, however I am not going to sit here and poo poo a competitor for lighting a fire under the caboose of the mouse to put out some quality entertainment again!

Uni has earned my families money the last 3 trips now, because I wanna invest in a theme park that has my best interests at heart, and who is trying to get better every quarter and every year. That's important to us. Just because Aladdin isn't popping out from the wall to greet me, doesn't mean I have to hate it! Competition breeds greatness, and makes the consumers the all out recipient of a good time!

See I never understood why people just don't generally like nice things regardless of what company made it?

I used to frequent DIS and magic, a lot more than here, and went to Disney a lot more often, however I am not going to sit here and poo poo a competitor for lighting a fire under the caboose of the mouse to put out some quality entertainment again!

Uni has earned my families money the last 3 trips now, because I wanna invest in a theme park that has my best interests at heart, and who is trying to get better every quarter and every year. That's important to us. Just because Aladdin isn't popping out from the wall to greet me, doesn't mean I have to hate it! Competition breeds greatness, and makes the consumers the all out recipient of a good time!
Oh yes. I agree with you. I enjoy Disney too, and think most people on IU like & appreciate both Universal & Disney. The Forums here are very fair to both companies....But the reverse doesn't seem to be true. There's just so much hate & disdain directed towards Universal on most of the Disney oriented Forums (which is really the whole internet except for IU and Orlando Informer).

So I guess this thread can be used as a Dragon Challenge rememberance too? I got my last rides in over the last week and I'll miss the ride(s) for sure. I was able to get front row on both a couple of times. I'd argue that it's the most thrilling of the entire resort.

With that said, I see where people are coming from when they say they're afraid Universal is going away from the thrilling aspect of the park. I guess it's because they have the technology now to create these highly technological, state of the art thrill rides rather than just a steel coaster. I'm hoping it's more thrilling than say Gringotts or even the Mummy.

Any chance we can see details on it shortly after DC officially closes?

So I guess this thread can be used as a Dragon Challenge rememberance too? I got my last rides in over the last week and I'll miss the ride(s) for sure. I was able to get front row on both a couple of times. I'd argue that it's the most thrilling of the entire resort.

With that said, I see where people are coming from when they say they're afraid Universal is going away from the thrilling aspect of the park. I guess it's because they have the technology now to create these highly technological, state of the art thrill rides rather than just a steel coaster. I'm hoping it's more thrilling than say Gringotts or even the Mummy.

Doubtful. It'l probably be late 2018 before we hear any more officially.

I would actually think Celebration is the better bet for Forbidden Forest details (if the coaster is likely themed to that), and if FFL is going; perhaps MoM being announced with little information.

While possible only as an add on to a MOM announcement, but I'm still betting on a random Tuesday morning blog post.

While possible only as an add on to a MOM announcement, but I'm still betting on a random Tuesday morning blog post.

To be honest, I believe what I said due to that outside of Fantastic Beasts 2 for next year, there is nothing else major for Potter.

And that considering of Warner Brothers London just having an expansion of their exhibit, I would imagine they will take a break for the meantime. And that, you could make a major splash in February, a month to where nothing will happen; nor would it really impact the Summer 2018 crowd too much IMO.

Star Wars alone is probably going to make 2018 a slower year for Disney, and it wouldn't be a shock if Potter is the same for Universal.

My primary exposure to Dueling Dragons (I refuse to use the DC name) was in 1999. Rode it in September and it was so fun and different. Head choppers, dueling, and two different rides were so much fun. I know that most say that it became more rough or didn't fit the theme. So, the replacement is really intriguing. Especially with so little information about it. Sadly, I don't go to UNI/IOA as much as my wife loves Disney more and the rides are easier on her (car ride caused some back/neck issues). Still, I don't think Disney has anything in Orlando that tops the entrance to IOA and the theming of the various islands. Maybe Pandora but I don't know. I'll find out in a month.

TPR became Disney-centric, which is fine (I expect that they get Mommy Blogger Treatments as payback). They also like coaster-driven parks which is also fine. Magic is Disney first which is understandable. Its title is WDWMagic. Websites are what they are. Outside of a few malcontents, the forums on InsideUniversal are definitely more friendly. I believe that the staff does an excellent job of moderating and addressing people who get out of line.

Frankly, unthemed coasters bore me now.

I don't know. Knocking Cedar Point? You're losing cool points, man. I would condemn you to 20 straight rides on Mean Streak but that punishment has been eliminated (violated cruel and unusual stipulations).

Status
Not open for further replies.