Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 162 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't see IPs ever disappearing. Murdy has said as much on the west coast.

This is a "Universal" theme park and the event relies on casual one/two day attendees. Virtually everything in the park is IP based. Crowds generate revenues that help build great original houses.

.... and just because there are legal/contractual problems doesn't mean it's not worth it. It's not like we are the ones negotiating LOL. Both Aiello and Murdy have commented on this process - it's part of the business model.

I could give two craps if the complexities of these IPs results in the odd house that gets scrapped or, god forbid, a delay in an announcement. I'm just glad they usually get it right ... FAR MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

Besides, I was a huge fan of 4 IP houses last year and am glad they are part of the event.

Perspective - can't wait for the event. It will kick ass as always. Maybe a house or two will suck. Oh well. Have another pumpkin beer, some poutine and cheer up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah IPs are going nowhere. They still have plenty of horro movies to pull from and more coming out every year. Still waiting on a Gremlins house and with a new one supposedly in the works, hope it happens soon.

Reactions: merlin0402
This is my fourth HHN in a row and first time going without a gf. She usually held on to me and since we broke up, now it's just me and my best buddy going. Should be a lot more scarier for me this time.

Yeah IPs are going nowhere. They still have plenty of horro movies to pull from and more coming out every year. Still waiting on a Gremlins house and with a new one supposedly in the works, hope it happens soon.

Gremlins would be very cool. Would also be a challenge for them. Would love to see them try.

I have no problem with them re-using IPs either. I mean we dont want to see the same stuff year after year but this idea they can't recycle an IP is ridiculous.

This is my fourth HHN in a row and first time going without a gf. She usually held on to me and since we broke up, now it's just me and my best buddy going. Should be a lot more scarier for me this time.

Ha! My wife won't go anywhere near it. Have went solo - different experience but still fun.

Reactions: snayberry
Oh, the classic IP vs Original debate.

Let's review history:

The first IP maze was "People Under the Stairs" featured in 1992 (the second year of the event). Their third event had that house, and Psycho Path (2 IPs). 1995 and 1996 had an IP "icon" in the Cryptkeeper. If we don't include the mazes that featured the Classic Monsters (Museum of Horrors, Horrors in Wax, DIE In, etc), there are only EIGHT years with no IPs (three if you include them - '91, '05, '10). If you include houses INSPIRED or basically ripping off IPs, you get 1 year with no IP influences... 1991.

But all the advertising for that year featured the Universal Monsters.

It's not a question of IPs "not going anywhere." They were always there. People tend to forget Fear Factor, Doomsday, and The Mummy 2 got houses.

Ha! My wife won't go anywhere near it. Have went solo - different experience but still fun.
My girlfriend was like that during 25. Wasn't super into it but for some reason last year she got waayy more into it and is excited for this year.

I did my first HHN solo trip last year. Started out fine, was cranking through houses. Did Halloween 2 all by myself (scary). By the time 9-9:30 hit it was kinda boring and lonely. I doubt I'll go solo again.

Remember the good old days of HHN when everyone would be discussing clues, going over the website and the full website update was literally an event. Now it's a vanilla site with anti-climatic updates and a few people who have "info" and love to tell you that they have it but can't say anything.

I doubt IP's will go anywhere, logistically. I do think with Blumhouse and Conjuring proving a double-case of problems; that Orlando is going to raise the original count to 5 and the IP count to 4. And that I wouldn't be surprised that they are just going through to lock certain IPs right now to ensure no legal issues occur (like how TiTE was for Hollywood in development).

Reactions: ChaseTuff
It's obvious IP's will never go away. Some of the favorite or well-liked years, even in fan's eyes, have been with heavy IP usage. It's more of how do they handle it for future years.

1. They will be out of big name IP's soon. Conjuring, an outright Alien house, maybe Poltergeist or Paranormal Activity? I'm also obligated to remind everyone Hellraiser :). Other than that, not much left.

I've seen @JungleSkip suggest Game IP's as the next logical step and I agree, but even still - that well isn't deep.

2. The headaches the IP/studio/marketing can cause. It may not be wise to make the event as IP heavy where changes have to be made last minute or well into development that can severely impact the planning of the event - whether it be for marketing or creative.

3. The success of 25 & 26 shows they don't need to overly rely on the IP, just utilize it wisely. Grow from there, especially as the well dries up. 3-4 IP's for houses, with 1-2 being the BIG names. Even if they are repeats that bear repeating. You can do more with Freddy, Jason X could be fun, they always have interpretations of the Classic Monsters. Obviously, I'd hope there would be some time that elapses.

I could give two craps if the complexities of these IPs results in the odd house that gets scrapped or, god forbid, a delay in an announcement. I'm just glad they usually get it right ... FAR MORE OFTEN THAN NOT.

They don't get it right.

Silent Hill was an AWiL replacement and that was bad. Purge was a Scream replacement and that was bad. 23's scarezones were supposed to be varied but we got the Walking Dead-everywhere theme - and that was bad.

We'll see how the changes effect this year, but so far it seems like 3 things were affected by IP/Studio interference.

That would still need IP holder approval and final say most likely. :lol:

Indeed, but that I would wager it could happen.

If they take it on the level of how Blood Brothers was for Hollywood last year; creating an original story that ties somewhere into an IP, it's very possible that I could see them do it.

There are variables that would have to come around, and if the maze stays true to the merits of what made the IP great to begin with; for a way that makes it more immersive and enjoyable.

I've seen @JungleSkip suggest Game IP's as the next logical step and I agree, but even still - that well isn't deep.
My body has been ready for a The Last of Us house for 4+ years. TLoU2 is coming out next year I believe... if we are going to see it, the coming years are where it would be the best timing.

Of course I don't even know if they've ever even considered the IP so i'll just keep on dreaming :lol:

My body has been ready for a The Last of Us house for 4+ years. TLoU2 is coming out next year I believe... if we are going to see it, the coming years are where it would be the best timing.

Of course I don't even know if they've ever even considered the IP so i'll just keep on dreaming :lol:

Glad to see I am not the only one wanting a TLoU maze desperately on the forums. ;):tongue:

Reactions: Nick
I would stress that there should be at least 3 years between repeating things. AWiL didn't work as well the second time around just 2 years later. I expect Saw to be a smash hit after an 8 year hiatus. Freddy vs. Jason was about 6 years after the last Freddy and Jason houses.
I agree about the gap but the second AWiL got unnecessary flack. It was the same house as before with better puppets. When it was announced everyone was super happy, then disappointed when it was relatively the same house.

Howl-O-Scream gets a pass with their repeat houses.

The IP discussion every year.....zZzzZz :sleep:

Last edited:
Reactions: EllTee
To say this, I also agree with @Brian G. and @JungleSkip on the idea of video game IPs potentially coming, although even those having limits.

It would have to be a very selective group of Video Game IPs that would be considered, as some of them may be too complex for either Orlando or Hollywood to tackle (I'm looking at you DS and Bioshock), but that I think there is potential. It just depends on how they would execute it.

I agree about the gap but the second AWiL get unnecessary flack. It was the same house as before with better puppets. When it was announced everyone was super happy, then disappointed when it was relatively the same house.

Howl-O-Scream gets a pass with their repeat houses.

The IP discussion every year.....zZzzZz :sleep:
Howl-O-Scream doesn't have the budget to do 100% new houses every year. UOR does.

HOS is incredibly cash strapped for the event compared to what HHN has to play with. It's sort of like comparing a community theatre to Broadway.