Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I may be in the minority of people who were happy to see AWIL at 25. HHN 23 was my first year and AWIL was the only house i missed (being that for some reason I only went one night). Now having seen it at 25, it's arguably my favorite house i've been through.

Howl-O-Scream doesn't have the budget to do 100% new houses every year. UOR does.

HOS is incredibly cash strapped for the event compared to what HHN has to play with.
I knew this response was coming. I'm simply saying with a repeat in general no one should be surprised if its pretty much the same thing.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
They don't get it right.

Silent Hill was an AWiL replacement and that was bad. Purge was a Scream replacement and that was bad. 23's scarezones were supposed to be varied but we got the Walking Dead-everywhere theme - and that was bad.

We'll see how the changes effect this year, but so far it seems like 3 things were affected by IP/Studio interference.

Those are examples of where they didn't get it right.

I am saying they get it right far more often than not when it comes to IPs. Last year alone Exorcist, Halloween 2, TCM, and AHS were all houses I loved.

More often than not they get it right. Yup, where there is a dispute over an IP it causes problems - oh well.

1. They will be out of big name IP's soon. Conjuring, an outright Alien house, maybe Poltergeist or Paranormal Activity? I'm also obligated to remind everyone Hellraiser :). Other than that, not much left.

Man would I love to see Hellraiser. There is a ton of material to pull from and a new film on the way

Those are examples of where they didn't get it right.

I am saying they get it right far more often than not when it comes to IPs. Last year alone Exorcist, Halloween 2, TCM, and AHS were all houses I loved.

More often than not they get it right. Yup, where there is a dispute over an IP it causes problems - oh well.

Well yea, but those houses didn't have issues with the OK from the studios.

there already was a dead space house and they done it two times, it was called the thing

The Thing was a house based on The Thing, based each on the 1982 and 2011 films, respectively.

Remember the good old days of HHN when everyone would be discussing clues, going over the website and the full website update was literally an event. Now it's a vanilla site with anti-climatic updates and a few people who have "info" and love to tell you that they have it but can't say anything.

Yeah i started going in 2004 and remember going on the site everyday after work and looking at each house while listening to the creepy music that came with it. And I used to just leave it on and get so immersed (2004, 2005 and 2006 were my favorites). Its not like that at all anymore and I miss it so much.

Reactions: RogueAntilles
I wonder if we could get an Annabelle or Nun house before a Conjuring house. I don't know exactly what the IP holdup is with getting The Conjuring to this event, but maybe a deal could be worked out for the spinoffs and pave the way for the main series.

Two other possibilities I could see next year are horror films coming out over the next two months: It, mother!, and Happy Death Day. HDD looks easy enough to translate into a house (Hollywood supposedly has it in their Blumhouse) and Universal has the rights to it, but the former two have big ifs associated with them. We know Stephen King hates lending his stories to horror events, but Warner Brothers just set up a limited time promo haunt for the movie in Los Angeles that is drawing huge crowds. Maybe King has lightened up a little bit? mother! is a much bigger question mark. The film would have to be a decent enough box office hit/awards player AND have enough material that can be translated into a house, which is hard to say given how little is being revealed about the movie.

There's still a lot of other Blumhouse IPs that can be used too. Ouija has enough material for a house, and they might have the props depending how far the scrapped Blumhouse scenes got. Paranormal Activity is another one, but Universal doesn't have the rights to it and would the public even care about it now? Then there's stuff like Get Out, Split, and The Visit that would work in a mashup house but maaaaaaaybe not a full-fledged house.

I wonder if we could get an Annabelle or Nun house before a Conjuring house. I don't know exactly what the IP holdup is with getting The Conjuring to this event, but maybe a deal could be worked out for the spinoffs and pave the way for the main series.

Two other possibilities I could see next year are horror films coming out over the next two months: It, mother!, and Happy Death Day. HDD looks easy enough to translate into a house (Hollywood supposedly has it in their Blumhouse) and Universal has the rights to it, but the former two have big ifs associated with them. We know Stephen King hates lending his stories to horror events, but Warner Brothers just set up a limited time promo haunt for the movie in Los Angeles that is drawing huge crowds. Maybe King has lightened up a little bit? mother! is a much bigger question mark. The film would have to be a decent enough box office hit/awards player AND have enough material that can be translated into a house, which is hard to say given how little is being revealed about the movie.

There's still a lot of other Blumhouse IPs that can be used too. Ouija has enough material for a house, and they might have the props depending how far the scrapped Blumhouse scenes got. Paranormal Activity is another one, but Universal doesn't have the rights to it and would the public even care about it now? Then there's stuff like Get Out, Split, and The Visit that would work in a mashup house but maaaaaaaybe not a full-fledged house.

It's not that there aren't IP's for Universal to use, it's marquee IP's. Besides Conjuring franchise, IT would be only one that could draw hype - but like you said... King is a PITA with rights.

If Lights Out was used this year or last year, I imagine that would have drawn in a lot of crowds, but I don't think it has the steam to stay ingrained in pop culture.

Reactions: MattA
Going back on that Rick and Morty; I don't see a house.

When you look at something similar in the sense that they did with Penn and Teller, where that isn't really horror; it wasn't exactly good.

I think if R&M have a presence for the parks, it'd be a show to replace Bill and Ted.

It could work, and that they wouldn't exactly have to use people and celebrities to make it work.

I have to think, if Orlando was serious with TrT, they would've done the house this year as opposed to a scarezone.

I don't think it'll return, and it isn't as big of an IP that they could do. It'd be on the levels of CiTW in my eyes.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Going back on that Rick and Morty; I don't see a house.

When you look at something similar in the sense that they did with Penn and Teller, where that isn't really horror; it wasn't exactly good.

I think if R&M have a presence for the parks, it'd be a show to replace Bill and Ted.

It could work, and that they wouldn't exactly have to use people and celebrities to make it work.
Good point. I remember I was so into P&T at the time in 2012 and I was so disappointed by the house. I'm interested in maybe a Shamaylan mashup house. You could have Signs, The Visit, The Village, Split, and even Sixth Sense. Now THAT would be an awesome house.

To be blunt, and I am meaning this nicely.

I think IP's like Hellraiser, Killer Clownz, or House of 1000 Corpses aren't as possible to me. They seem more like fan dreams, and that logistically; it doesn't make really any sense to bring those IP's to the event. For the fans? Maybe, but there are probably reasons to why those and others aren't making it anytime soon.

I've heard good things about Hive from Legacy. So maybe it's the exception in the "unexpected changes" category?

^^ Don't forget Mark E Mark talking to plastic plants! Seriously though it's good to know that M Night is kind of having a bounce back (even if I love Happening--though not for the reason he intended. :dance:)