Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anyone know which one is more intense? I only did the green one. I'm 205 and wonder if anyone would let me sneak in

Anyone know which one is more intense? I only did the green one. I'm 205 and wonder if anyone would let me sneak in
I'm 205 as well and wasn't able to do it on Saturday. I don't even think the person at the scale can see your weight. Pretty sure it just tells them if you're in the green or not.

Reactions: Yung1522
Why didn't they just make them with a regular run-off instead of an exit pool?

Looking at what they've done here I wouldn't be surprised if they changed them going forward. Seems they are concerned that heavier people coming down with more force could get hurt as the hit the water, or the bottom of the pool :shrug:.

Reactions: anihilnation
Looking at what they did...

I get the feeling there might be some bumping around in the tube resulting in distress or unconsciousness when a rider reaches the pool.

I think 200lbs has less to do with the slide itself and more to do with what the lifeguards can haul up from the bottom of that pool.

^This

If you've ever ridden Ihu's Breakaway Falls at Aquatica, it's the same thing. It's surprising how much those slides can beat you up because you lose complete control over everything.

Reactions: Andysol
It's a major blunder by Proslide and/or Universal. The opening of this park seems to be a comedy of errors They cut some theming corners on the the Stairs because I'm sure they were up against the clock. They had to butcher the symetrical look of the wave slide with that last minute fiberglass work. The issue with the drop tube slides. The action river that is rather actionless. (Sorry, being a vet of Schlitterbahn's wave rivers, I'm disapoint), the virtual queue system issues,capacity issues and the let down of the volcano show has me really second guessing our choice of staying at Universal for 4 nights before our Spring Break Cruise. I suppose our strategy will be to hit Volcano Bay up for all but one morning(potter) and single out the major slides each day and leave back to the hotel and then hit up IOA and Studios. I had planned for a whole day at Volcano Bay with a Cabana rental but the wave pool isn't even on par with Typhoon Lagoon's. They need to adding the phase two right now before another summer of hidious waits harms the reputation of this park even further.

This park has so much potential but.........

If I was Universal, I'd be on a second water park ASAP.

I'm going to compare and contrast this with how Europa Park handles their new water park roll out.

^This

If you've ever ridden Ihu's Breakaway Falls at Aquatica, it's the same thing. It's surprising how much those slides can beat you up because you lose complete control over everything.

You would think more weight and the effects of centrifucal force would help with that. I think the clear issue is the force of which one hits the splash pool. It's evident they went with that instead of a long, flat zero entry landing due to space restraints. Although it seems like they have the room. I'd enclose that area in a rock grotto

The typical end of a Proslide Skybox slide
custom-complex-superloop-skybox-freefall-olympia-russia-black-red-front.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: anihilnation
It's a major blunder by Proslide and/or Universal. The opening of this park seems to be a comedy of errors They cut some theming corners on the the Stairs because I'm sure they were up against the clock. They had to butcher the symetrical look of the wave slide with that last minute fiberglass work. The issue with the drop tube slides. The action river that is rather actionless. (Sorry, being a vet of Schlitterbahn's wave rivers, I'm disapoint), the virtual queue system issues,capacity issues and the let down of the volcano show has me really second guessing our choice of staying at Universal for 4 nights before our Spring Break Cruise. I suppose our strategy will be to hit Volcano Bay up for all but one morning(potter) and single out the major slides each day and leave back to the hotel and then hit up IOA and Studios. I had planned for a whole day at Volcano Bay with a Cabana rental but the wave pool isn't even on par with Typhoon Lagoon's. They need to adding the phase two right now before another summer of hidious waits harms the reputation of this park even further.

This park has so much potential but.........

If I was Universal, I'd be on a second water park ASAP.

I'm going to compare and contrast this with how Europa Park handles their new water park roll out.

I just wanted to comment on the action river. First, let me admit that VB's is the only one I have been on. Anyway, the days we were there, the action varied often. I finally saw what that thing is capable of when my daughter was still out on the river. It became time to clear/close the pools and such...they cranked that thing up to push folks to the exit.

I later talked to someone and the explanation I got was that they have to slow things down when:

It is too crowded
Someone is not in a tube
Lifeguards are collecting lost tapas from the river
Someone is waiting by the big wave generator

So, to me, it seems it is usually toned down in the name of being overly safe (which I imagine is a good thing).

I just wanted to comment on the action river. First, let me admit that VB's is the only one I have been on. Anyway, the days we were there, the action varied often. I finally saw what that thing is capable of when my daughter was still out on the river. It became time to clear/close the pools and such...they cranked that thing up to push folks to the exit.

I later talked to someone and the explanation I got was that they have to slow things down when:

It is too crowded
Someone is not in a tube
Lifeguards are collecting lost tapas from the river
Someone is waiting by the big wave generator

So, to me, it seems it is usually toned down in the name of being overly safe (which I imagine is a good thing).

Not one of the Torrent Rivers at any Schlitterbahn has these restrictions on wave size. I've yet to see then have any major trouble from them either.

I've seen them more crowded than this and everyone were still having a blast

And what happened at Schlitterbahn due to lax safety???

I don't think that is the best example to hold up.

Thanks. I think, as a parent, I really appreciate that UNI seems to err on the side of safety. I was going to comment about the sad irony of the example.

Schlitterbahn was to build a park down here. I thought I heard someone was still going to build a park at the site, but I do not think it is them anymore.

But hey, at least in this part of FL, I also know that rides are inspected by the state before the fair opens....carnies are dressed up in uniforms...

But yes, they are the last water park designer/operator I would site as an example...but I use to visit Pirates world as a kid (back in the days when anything goes)

Reactions: Coasted
And what happened at Schlitterbahn due to lax safety???

I don't think that is the best example to hold up.

Outside of that one incident on that freak slide, name one horror storyfrom a Torrent River without scouring Google for a bad trip advisor review from a parent that scared little Johnny gets touched by, gasp, another human. There's lifeguards all up and down the Torrent Rivers.

Reactions: Andysol
If you want my honest opinion. I think that it is terrible that these slides are such a low weight limit. I couldn't ride them anyways, because I am just too big, and I am not normal size. But I would say that the average adult weighs close to 200 LBs. This alienates a lot of people, and I think that Universal should have thought of this way before putting those slides in. I mean, shouldn't engineers know this kind of stuff. Especially with the kind of technology that we have today.

Idk, just my thoughts. It just drives me nuts when things get rushed because of corporate deadlines. Then this kind of stuff happens, and the only people to suffer for it are the on location staff and the guests. If corporate had to deal with this stuff on a daily basis, then they might consider dropping the unrealistic deadlines, and actual care about their employees and guests. But instead, the bottom line is all they see.

But I suppose that is just business, and that is why corporate hires people to deal with this kind of stuff. You would think that a multi billion dollar company could get things together better than this though. Just goes to show what rushing projects does.

~Corey Mathery

My sentiments are the same as everyone else.

If it makes anyone feel any better- I personally preferred Ko Okiri more- the straight drop. It was smooth, you were weightless, and you can breathe during it. The other two slides are like water boarding. You don’t know what the hell is going on because there’s NO way you can open your eyes. If you did- I think they would split open from the fire hose amount and pressure of water smashing into your face. Then- when it’s all over- and you look at your back, it’ll look like Freddy just attacked you.

Is it fun? Id use a different descriptor- it’s exhilarating. But only because it kicks your ass and you survived somehow.
But I’ll still do them again when I go back :lol: