Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ICON Park

Maybe that's what they were going for to add an extra level of thrill factor on top of already being 425 feet in the air :lol:

It will probably be scarier being the spectator below as it's just dawned on me that it could be raining pennies and cellphones from the riders. I don't agree with all the metal detectors at Universal for the most part but if any ride needs it, it's this one.

It will probably be scarier being the spectator below as it's just dawned on me that it could be raining pennies and cellphones from the riders. I don't agree with all the metal detectors at Universal for the most part but if any ride needs it, it's this one.

They have a 400 foot version of this at Six Flags Over Texas they installed back in 2012- it's pretty tall. And the scary part isn't the height as much as the wind at that level that moves you.

That said- first time I rode it with my oldest kid- I thought "this would be nice to take a selfie up here with her"- well, I got up there and thought "what if I drop my phone". I mean, it could kill someone.

There isn't even a net at the bottom. Needless to say, I'm shocked something hasn't happened at one of those before.

They have a 400 foot version of this at Six Flags Over Texas they installed back in 2012- it's pretty tall. And the scary part isn't the height as much as the wind at that level that moves you.

That said- first time I rode it with my oldest kid- I thought "this would be nice to take a selfie up here with her"- well, I got up there and thought "what if I drop my phone". I mean, it could kill someone.

There isn't even a net at the bottom. Needless to say, I'm shocked something hasn't happened at one of those before.
It's been a really long time since I've ridden one of these things because they terrify me. But, don't the restraints stop you from getting at your pockets? I didn't think people could do much at the top of the ride (other than drop their glasses perhaps?)

It's been a really long time since I've ridden one of these things because they terrify me. But, don't the restraints stop you from getting at your pockets? I didn't think people could do much at the top of the ride (other than drop their glasses perhaps?)

I can only speak for the particular skyrider I was on- if anything, it just makes it difficult to get into your pockets- but you certainly could. The difficulty would make it even more prone to slippage one would think. It was essentially a seat-belt restraint.

In my case, I had the phone in my lap when we took off- where it stayed. I didnt have the guts to take my hands off the chains once that wind picked up and was whipping us. Too scared you say? Yup. :)

I've been on the one at SF Over Texas as well. Something else to think about is that it's often much, much colder that high up. In addition to the winds.

I did like on my ride they said, "enjoy your view of Subway". There's a pretty easily spotted Subway sandwich shop just beyond the main gate that's pretty obvious from the ride. :)