Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

Then I really can't wait to see how Disney attempts to justify the ride supposedly fitting into the spirit of Epcot, as they've repeatedly said it will. There will be some incredible PR spinning going on if that's how it ends up happening.

I think it's supposed to be intentional though.. Today's generations, however, values IPs far more than original ideas. I mean, Disney already has the Frozen Ride at Epcot when ideologically, it's supposed to fit in Magic Kingdom. It's probably because they care about shooting up attendance and tries to have it equal among 4 parks, than the theming of it. For some reason, it's not a problem for Universal Orlando Resort when it comes to theming, although Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Florida, a theme park dedicated to entertainment and film industry, seems to have bother some people.

I think it's supposed to be intentional though.. Today's generations, however, values IPs far more than original ideas. I mean, Disney already has the Frozen Ride at Epcot when ideologically, it's supposed to fit in Magic Kingdom. It's probably because they care about shooting up attendance and tries to have it equal among 4 parks, than the theming of it. For some reason, it's not a problem for Universal Orlando Resort when it comes to theming, although Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Florida, a theme park dedicated to entertainment and film industry, seems to have bother some people.

I think Disney knows, however, that there's a very skeptical, vocal subset of the fan community that is worried about what's happening in Epcot. They've gone to pains whenever they've talked publicly about Guardians to address those concerns (in a very superficial, surface way so far, but still).

That leads me to believe that, whatever the content of the GOTG ride ends up being, they're going to be in full court press mode trying to convince people that it "belongs" in Epcot, and I will be interested in what their argument is.

Epcot's core attendance group (fan base, for lack of a better term) is not just vocal but also influential and what every economic metric would consider a "good" guest to have.

They spend money. The best way I could think to compare them is to take a Disneyland AP and then add a lot of spending.

We talk about how DL APs are vocal and influential and such... but they don't spend a lot. WDW tourists in general may spend more, but they don't tend to be as vocal, not influencing each other in lock step as much.

Epcot fans are the hybrid of those two which is vocal, influential, and statistically spends more. Long story short, making them angry is not something Disney wants to do.

Epcot fans are the hybrid of those two which is vocal, influential, and statistically spends more. Long story short, making them angry is not something Disney wants to do.

As I've said, it's going to be very interesting to see how Disney spins all the changes (announced and unannounced) coming to Epcot, in light of its fanbase.

As I've said, it's going to be very interesting to see how Disney spins all the changes (announced and unannounced) coming to Epcot, in light of its fanbase.

Epcot's "portfolio" (the whole design/planning/WDI group sort of as a whole) is tasked with redoing the park's core and expanding World Showcase as an underutilized asset. It's staffed with people who liked EPCOT Center, on purpose.

The Guardians "team" wasnt really part of this purpose made group, though of course there's some overlap. To get final approval they have to get past the highest person on this particular team, as that person "controls" Epcot aesthetically/thematically by being the portfolio holder.

So it's very likely Guardians came up as an IP-driven fix for Energy and is now being made to work in Epcot because the powers-that-be want Epcot to be cohesive again. It will probably be a bit wonky, but its better than if no one had even tried.

Epcot's "portfolio" (the whole design/planning/WDI group sort of as a whole) is tasked with redoing the park's core and expanding World Showcase as an underutilized asset. It's staffed with people who liked EPCOT Center, on purpose.

The Guardians "team" wasnt really part of this purpose made group, though of course there's some overlap. To get final approval they have to get past the highest person on this particular team, as that person "controls" Epcot aesthetically/thematically by being the portfolio holder.

So it's very likely Guardians came up as an IP-driven fix for Energy and is now being made to work in Epcot because the powers-that-be want Epcot to be cohesive again. It will probably be a bit wonky, but its better than if no one had even tried.

Interesting. Thanks for painting the picture of the inside team.

I don’t think it’s down to guests but the money people. If you have two rides that have identical reviews from the public but one is original and one is an IP, the IP one will win because it will sell more merchandise.

The irony of course is that the original story rides are now becoming an IP in their own right as people become nostalgic and begin to shift a ton of merchandise.

The simple truth is that IPs are an easier sell.

I don’t think it’s down to guests but the money people. If you have two rides that have identical reviews from the public but one is original and one is an IP, the IP one will win because it will sell more merchandise.

The irony of course is that the original story rides are now becoming an IP in their own right as people become nostalgic and begin to shift a ton of merchandise.

The simple truth is that IPs are an easier sell.
This is the strange thing about Disney now...The original content is becoming IP content (i.e. Pirates, Mansion, and Jungle Cruise)...Unfortunately all of those are in MK

I honestly think Guardians will open a door to allow for correct expansion of Future World (Figment redux, Perhaps a proper Nemo dark ride)...World Showcase gets rides based on the real world counterpart, but still holds true to its realistic values

I think Guardians is a stepping stone to allowing conversations to open about bringing Epcot back up to par...Unfortunately tourists only speak the language of IPs at the moment

Then I really can't wait to see how Disney attempts to justify the ride supposedly fitting into the spirit of Epcot, as they've repeatedly said it will. There will be some incredible PR spinning going on if that's how it ends up happening.

To further clarify: I think people are expecting RnR bit Epcot call backs instead of LA. I don’t think it’ll be that. I literally think it’ll be “we have to save young Peter in old Epcot” and it’s a backwards launch into the past. I do expect they could have gone “PETER VISITED ANIMAL KINGDOM” and the same plot (along with the usuals saying how it’s a totally fitting attraction for the park).

I don’t believe this at all.

Epcot's core attendance group (fan base, for lack of a better term) is not just vocal but also influential and what every economic metric would consider a "good" guest to have.

They spend money. The best way I could think to compare them is to take a Disneyland AP and then add a lot of spending.

We talk about how DL APs are vocal and influential and such... but they don't spend a lot. WDW tourists in general may spend more, but they don't tend to be as vocal, not influencing each other in lock step as much.

Is this partially derived from sales of classic EPCOT Center merchandise? All those retro t-shirts and things they put out in MouseGear? The optimist in me has always said, "hey, maybe that's a metric Disney uses to help guide the direction of the park" but the cynic in me has increasingly thought they are literally just shamelessly cashing in on their history without really "getting it." It'd be interesting to learn that purchasing stuff like that has actually been helping to make something of a statement instead of, you know, just kind of being a sucker for Disney's greed. :lol::look:

0EF52887-F6EB-4429-8233-8F7EC25A3E15.jpeg
Not sure if this concept art was posted but this gives the look of the entrance. Also notice the multiple characters doing a M&G.

Guardians of the Future World?
Groot and the gang will make their mark in Future World with a brand-new E-ticket attraction based on the hilarious, action-packed films. Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord) paid a visit to Epcot as a kid, so the park will make a perfect home for this unexpected group of friends when the attraction debuts in 2021.

It seems we have a title for the attraction as well as opening date with some of the backstory.

Not quite - that's just D23's word play.

I do think it's interesting the way the fountain building is hollowed out. Those blue panels behind it are the two entry doors.

That building is hollow for the most part - but it is hiding the pump system for the fountain, which it looks like they intend to keep. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

As of yet, they haven't taken the mirrors off the building. That's pretty much step 1 for any exterior work as they're very fragile and prone to falling off in like sections as they exist now.

There's no way this RNRC ripoff is costing nearly $1B. I don't care if the most trusted insider said it, there's simply no way.

I said the same thing. Unless it’s a larger “project” cost for more but I was told that number in confidence.

Hell, you could build 2 Diagon Alleys, 2 Gringotts and 2 Hogwart's Express for that. Even with Disney's inflated cost structure, there's no way that could be true.:doh: That Insider must have spent too much time testing the new wine bar on Grand Ave. ;)

I said the same thing. Unless it’s a larger “project” cost for more but I was told that number in confidence.
I could believe the whole Future World revive project is $900M, but this would be the most expensive singular ride in theme park history and not by a small amount. It would be by HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS.

I think some wires must have been crossed when this person got their numbers.