Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

Toon Lagoon was dated upon its conception, but back in the day it was in a charming, throwback way. But now? Most kids nowadays have never even touched a newspaper. Everything about the comic strip alley doesn't appeal to anyone under the age of 20.

That's why I'd say, for a Toon Lagoon update, keep the general idea of the land, and the small peninsula with Popeye and Me Ship, The Olive, but remove Dudley, the Comic Strip Alley, and the Toon Lagoon theater. Replace Dudley with a SpongeBob submarine dark ride and have an accompanying Krusty Krab quick service spot. Change the Comic Strip Alley into a more general "Cartoon Alley" that throws together a lot of cartoon characters and colorful facades. Replace the Toon Lagoon theater with... whatever random DreamWorks property they want, although Madagascar would probably fit most if they're fitting into Toon Lagoon IMO.
I think Popeye is still a classic, Dudley and the surrounding look and feel of the area needs to change...I always though Illumination Island would be fun...Either that, or have Marvel take half of TL and Skull Island/JP take the other half

It really is a fun and creative land, just irrelevant haha

I think Popeye is still a classic, Dudley and the surrounding look and feel of the area needs to change...I always though Illumination Island would be fun...Either that, or have Marvel take half of TL and Skull Island/JP take the other half

It really is a fun and creative land, just irrelevant haha
It's nicely themed for what it is. But what it's themed off couldn't be more irrelevant. Keep the toon theme, but change Dudley and Comic Strip Alley to newer themes.

Personally I would just change Toon Lagoon into something else entirely and call it a day.
Unfortunately with the fourth park they have to place their chips in the correct way...I feel it for them a bit, "do we do this here or there?"...I'm sure they have a grand plan for it..Just seems like Jenga a bit haha

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

It should just get shifted to Cartoon [Network] Lagoon. Convert Dudley into an Adventure Time attraction. Convert Popeye into a "catch-all" with multiple characters featured (including classics like Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, and Courage), turn Me Ship, The Olive into friggin Uncle Grandpa or Clarence, and toss a Steven Universe concert into the theater.

The only shows that likely couldn't get featured are the DC Comics shows.

I know that won't happen though.

It should just get shifted to Cartoon [Network] Lagoon. Convert Dudley into an Adventure Time attraction. Convert Popeye into a "catch-all" with multiple characters featured (including classics like Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Johnny Bravo, and Courage), turn Me Ship, The Olive into friggin Uncle Grandpa or Clarence, and toss a Steven Universe concert into the theater.

I think Nick deserves a land before Cartoon Network...It is deeply rooted in Universal's original DNA

I think Nick deserves a land before Cartoon Network...It is deeply rooted in Universal's original DNA
There’s an argument for Nick, but I don’t know how well it’s current programming fits into “millennial relevance.” I don’t watch Nick at all, while Cartoon Network is on in my house 4-5 hours a day. Not counting Adult Swim.

And we don’t have kids.

I think its more likely that they convert it to South Park.

And theres only about a 1% chance of that happening.

There’s an argument for Nick, but I don’t know how well it’s current programming fits into “millennial relevance.” I don’t watch Nick at all, while Cartoon Network is on in my house 4-5 hours a day. Not counting Adult Swim.

And we don’t have kids.
Adventure Time would certainly be fun

I think Spongebob owns the relevance category for Nick, not sure if they'd gamble on an entire Spongebob land..Although it would be fun IMO

Either way, I think this land will remain until they solidify what's going on with the third gate..Although I'd love for them to beautify it up and theme it all towards ancient China and tack on Kung Fu Panda, I believe Dreamworks will be saved for the next gate...Perhaps there is something I'm forgetting IP wise

I've always thought a Bikini Bottom would go over really well, SpongeBob is still quite popular. Not sure about the rest of Nick though, but I see SB merch all over the place. I also saw a post about Scooby Doo, now that's a winner in my book! With 80's nostalgia so strong right now, what kid didn't watch it growing up! Seems like whenever the Mystery Machine is out, the gang is always swamped with picture takers.

A whole Spongebob land (while structure of Toon Lagoon may be perfect for it) would probably be overkill in that the character, and his world, is pretty one note.

Honestly, I think a Spongebob re-theme of ET would be spectacular. The ride system is perfect for that sort of character.

Honestly, I feel like a SpongeBob attraction would be a decent hit. The show is still popular and known by kids today, plus SpongeBob is on a significant amount of the marketing for the resort... just for a parade float and a store. I say, replace Dudley with a SpongeBob dark ride through Bikini Bottom and add a real life Krusty Krab right next to it. I can guarantee a real life version of the Krusty Krab would be just as popular as Fast Food Boulevard.

Also, on the topic of Nick IPs, there's the recent cartoon the Loud House. It's not exactly iconic yet but it's extremely well-received, has good ratings, and is getting a theatrical film in a few years. So IF the theatrical film is a success, that is another option.

I don't think Toon Lagoon was ever meant to be "relevent", even back in 1999. It was always meant to be a fun throwback to cartoons/newspaper strips of yesteryear.

I'd say leave the land as is. I'm sure Dreamworks will get plenty of love in the 3rd gate.
They can add more dreamworks to replace the vacant Toon Lagoon theater space. As for other cartoons, back in the early 2000's, Garfield and Peanuts would've made excellent additions :)

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Garfield is nowhere to be seen in Comic Strip Alley. I'd imagine he's probably the most well known comic strip character, and definitely the most merchandised.

For awhile, I always wondered why Calvin and Hobbes were also absent from the land...that was, until I read more about its author, Bill Watterson and his views on merchandising toons.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm kind of surprised Garfield is nowhere to be seen in Comic Strip Alley. I'd imagine he's probably the most well known comic strip character, and definitely the most merchandised.

For awhile, I always wondered why Calvin and Hobbes were also absent from the land...that was, until I read more about its author, Bill Watterson and his views on merchandising toons.
I believe Parque has the Garfield rights....There's a Garfield attraction at Kennywood that replaced the Old Mill attraction.

Outside of Disney/Pixar movies, SpongeBob is probably the only evergreen animated character created since the 1960s.
latest