Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 (UO): Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Had the best run through of Blumhouse last night. That house is officially the G.O.A.T. The pinch scare with the Lipstick demons got me so good I fell on my face and scraped my hands and knees. And while I was still down on the floor one of the demons stayed in my face and backed me into a wall. The ops person then picked me up and told me to Keep going lol. Scarecrow was also extremely scary last night.
I feel like other than Blumhouse, Dead Waters, and Scarecrow, the rest of the houses are fighting to be the worst XD. They all are getting so bad and their casts are so lazy. A cast of Fallen is one of the worst casts I've ever seen at HHN. Same with both casts of Ash.

Buzz about Blumhouse seems to be getting way more positive. I'm def going in it next week. Scarecrow and Dead Waters seem to be the consensus top two. DW and Fallen are about tied for me. Not sure which one I like better. DW has gorgeous sets, Fallen has the wonderful bungee effects (I also liked the coughing room).

Last edited:
+1 Bumhouse buzz. I've had consistently great run throughs over and over since Wednesday. The first few rooms feel like a warmup and then it just gets crazy. I hope they learn from this house and the way they did some of the scares for future years. So much fun to walk through.

My current rankings:
  1. Scarecrow
  2. Dead waters
  3. Shining
  4. Blum
  5. AHS
  6. Hive
  7. Fallen
  8. Ash
  9. Saw

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
Welp, another HHN trip is in the books, and this was an overall strong year for the event.

Houses

From top to bottom this may be the strongest lineup of houses I've ever seen, rivaled by HHN 21. Only two houses were duds, and even one of them (Ash) I thought was fun. The following is my rankings/reviews.

1) Scarecrow: The Reaping - Welcome to my new favorite HHN house of all time. I've never gone through a house with multiple, true scares so consistently. This one felt like there was a scareactor every 2 feet, and they were all on top of their game. I loved the costumes, I loved the façade, and I loved the theme. Basically my perfect house.

2) Dead Waters - What a gorgeous house. Absolutely beautiful with some great scares to back it up. Only negatives are it's pretty short, and doesn't have a proper ending, IMO.

3) The Shining - They did a great job adapting this one to a house. Some great effects, some great scares, and gorgeous from beginning to end.

4) Hive - For being a replacement house, they really did good with this one. I got a lot of great scares, and they did a great job making it really feel like you were in a dilapidated old house. Some great uses of stiltwalkers too.

5) Blumhouse - My first run of this was one of the worst run-throughs I've ever had at HHN. Every one after that was great, though. Lots of good scares from an energetic cast, but the house design itself leaves a lot to be desired.

6) American Horror Story - Talk about a let down. After how good last year's house was, this was a big drop off. Long stretches with few scares, nonsensical for those of us who don't watch the show, and just not up to the greatness of last year's house.

7) Fallen - Easily the biggest disappointment of the event. A beautiful house let down by a general lack of actors. The first two nights I was there, it was as if the cast didn't care at all. The final night had some more solid run-throughs, but there is still just too much wasted space here. The bungee guys are cool, but so infrequent.

8) Ash vs Evil Dead - Some fun scenes here, but overall it's pretty lame

9) Saw - Oof. One of the worst houses I've been through.

Streets

Overall, the streets are pretty lackluster this year. There's no driving force, no connective tissue, and it shows. This lack of central push keeps 27 from jumping 21 or 25 as my favorite years.

1) Trick R Treat - The only street that seemed to have any love behind it this year, and easily one of my favorite zones ever. Absolutely beautiful, and managed to get some scares for me. Not to mention I loved how they recreated scenes from the film.

2) Invasion - Some fun costumes and the crashed ship was awesome.

3) The Purge - I am so sick of the Purge.

4) Festival - I don't get this one at all. It feels to me like this was meant to be the theme of the entire event before marketing got involved. As-is, it's a confused, half-baked idea that makes no sense. If it's a festival, why is the music so plodding? What is all this stuff supposed to be?

5) Alters of Horror - LOL

Shows

Only watched Bill and Ted, which was honestly the perfect send off. The perfect mix of irreverent, funny, and heartfelt.

Overall

HHN27 was one hell of an event. While it's sad to see B&T go, it's clear there's still plenty of creative power behind the HHN team. This year could have been my absolute favorite, but it was missing a central focus. To me it seemed like creative had plans for an icon or overarching theme that got nixed at a time that was too late to correct. This left the streets feeling listless and the event without the party atmosphere it usually has.

Hopefully we can get that central focus back for 28, along with the superb house design of 27

I find the spread of this year pretty interesting. It has 2 of the scariest houses of all time. And one of the worst of all time... You can definitely tell where they put their effort this year.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about. I'm still missing Blumhouse, Scarecrow, and AHS from my list of houses, but I've really enjoyed the ones that I've been in so far (including Saw).

If I had to rank them I'd probably say:
1. Dead Waters
2. Fallen
3. Shining
4. Ash vs. Evil Dead
5. Saw
6. Hive

I love reading everyone's reviews and recounting them against what I experienced. I need better tips on how to get fully immersed into HHN while there, because I feel like I missed so much. We were visiting from out of town, so it was a one-and-done trip, also had express passes in hand, but still, I feel like I didn't quite see everything like the locals and repeat visitors did.

Houses
#9: Hive - I totally blame having this ranked last purely on the family directly in front of my wife, who kept on purposely stopping every 10 feet, and also the teenagers directly behind me who kept running up on my side every 10 feet :fist:. I got ZERO scares triggered because of this and saw nothing cool happen because I was so frustrated. My eyes rolled completely to the back of my head during the entire walkthrough. One of the worst experiences I've had at either HHN, Hollywood and Orlando. Sorry Hive fans. Please continue to detail how great this one was and I'll gladly relive it through those details.

#8: Ash vs. Evil Dead - I'm usually a big fan of IP houses for the simple fact of it transporting you from that show/film/game and putting you in the middle of it all. I was familiar with the Starz show and even watched the first episode in preparation, but I still didn't fully enjoy it much. It seemed like I was just watching each Ash scareactor perform a 5-second skit, shoot his boomstick at something, then move forward. It was decent for the given material, but I had no desire to want to see more.

#7: Saw - This happened to be the last one we visited that night, so at that point, my feet were hurting so bad and it was raining pretty hard, just wanted to be over and done with. As much as I wanted to stop and stare, I missed every single trap get set off and didn't notice anything about any interactive traps because the security dudes kept telling us to "hurry up and move forward". The pig men were good, but like the Saw films, this just seemed like a torturous museum of death traps that we would view each exhibit, say "mmhmm" and move on. Requires a lot of undivided attention.

#6: The Fallen - This was ranked here based on my conga line experience and I believe we went through during a cast change. The guys in the front of us kept pointing and looking "up" thus, giving away the potential scares from above. The big S&M looking guy got me good.

#5: The Shining - I was really excited for this one because I literally just watched the film less than 24 hours before arriving to HHN, so everything was real fresh in my head. Loved the feel of the hedge maze and hearing the "Danny boy!" We just missed the axe to the door scare. The blood elevator left a bit to be desired, but hopefully they'll incorporate huge video screens as scare elements in future mazes. Room 237 was an awesome effect. Overall, this was a beautiful maze. I wasn't expecting terrifying scares because the film isn't on that level. So it did it's due diligence really well.

#4: American Horror Story - Another fun one. My wife and I are fans and have watched every season (although it's jumped the shark recently). However, I don't re-watch shows ever, so being that Asylum aired over 5 years ago and Coven was 4 years ago, I didn't recognize a whole lot from memory, but they were still fun scenes. The bloody face part with all the asylum cell doors was a good scare. I like the use of the mirror with the Santa scare. The Roanoke parts were all intense and that crawling chick on the wall got me. Overall, it was really long but the scenes were hitting all the way up.

#3: Horrors of Blumhouse - I'm a big fan of all the Blumhouse films and I was keeping up with all the rumors during the off season of this one (So glad they didn't include "Get Out"). Love the Sinister section with the Baghuul's, but wish it was longer. The Purge section was over in a blink of an eye, meh. Then all the Insidious parts were non-stop fun. I couldn't help but sing "Ooooo.. tip toe, through the window..." the whole time we around the lipstick demon. We loved the Insidious house from HHN 25 and this was almost as fun (would've loved to have the dark hallway with all the hands touching you). I hope they bring this back and incorporate Paranormal Activity and more Sinister scenes.

#2: Scareacrow The Reaping - I have to admit, I was so scared of what was to come, I had my hands on the shoulders of my wife as she lead on this one, and I kinda focused on the back of her head and screamed when she did. Lol. This was a very, very loud maze with tight, dark corners, not a lot of space around us and scareactors in your face every few seconds. Every time they popped out in front of us and on the sides, they gave a deep, longing stare and slowly retreated backward. Wish I could do this one again (or at least someone video that dang thing after the event is over to share). Awesome maze.

#1: Dead Waters - I didn't even know this maze had started, wanted to snap a pic of the awesome riverboat facade before entering, but then some "thing" jumped out at us and I dropped the phone. So good. Walking through this experience, it truly felt like we were no longer in Orlando and were in the swampy bayou. So immersive, lots of detail, the room with the Voodoo priestess was amazing, and just non-stop scares. I didn't even realize it was short until I read other reviews regarding so. This was what I pay the hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to go to HHN for, just purely amazing.

Scarezones
As for the scarezones, we walked through Trick r' Treat while it was still daylight and never made it back a second time, so didn't get the full "awe" of it. While approaching Invasion, I got a phone call, looked down to see the number, swiped to ignore the call then looked back up and we were out of the scare zone already :blank:. By time we were near the Purge, it was raining so hard, we ran through it in order to get a poncho. So not a lot was going on. And the other 2 I don't even recall.

Shows
Loved Bill & Ted, fun and preditcable show. I wish they stuck around Hollywood HHN longer, looking forward to how they get replaced, hopefully another type of fun pop culture recap variety show. We missed the Academy of Villians because by time we circled back, all we had left was the Saw maze and we were soooooo tired by then, definitely didn't want to stand in one place for 10 minutes, or however long the show is.

Again, wish I could have circled back and did some of the other mazes a second time for a better experience. Maybe I'll have to do a longer trip next time and break it all up, don't want to have to buy multiple express passes though. After using them in Hollywood and Orlando for all these years, I can't fathom ever going to HHN without it.

Last edited:
Mid-Event Checkpoint: haven't been quite as much as I had expected, and not much has really shifted, but a few follow-ups to my initial review:
  • Finally did AHS--it's just sort of there. No throughline, like last year, and less interesting scenery to me as a non-fan. Can't help but notice crowds not overwhelming this one like last year. Get a sense it may be a two and done.
  • Fallen has, pardon the pun, fallen pretty hard. From somewhere in the top to struggling to stay in the middle. Long resets hurt this house--when you're bored, too much time to look around and see there's "no there" there. Hell, Dracula Untold had better sets. Other than blacksmiths, cast has been lackluster as well.
  • On the flip side, Hive most improved. A couple runs give me more of a sense of the house's backstory, and cast has been getting better at scaring. Gone from below average to slightly above average.
  • Trick r Treat and Clowns remain the only SZs worth a damn, which is sad. Was really hoping Invasion and Festival would improve post-Irma.
  • Couple thoughts on B&T I'll post in that shows's thread.

Mid-Event Checkpoint: haven't been quite as much as I had expected, and not much has really shifted, but a few follow-ups to my initial review:
  • Finally did AHS--it's just sort of there. No throughline, like last year, and less interesting scenery to me as a non-fan. Can't help but notice crowds not overwhelming this one like last year. Get a sense it may be a two and done.
  • Fallen has, pardon the pun, fallen pretty hard. From somewhere in the top to struggling to stay in the middle. Long resets hurt this house--when you're bored, too much time to look around and see there's "no there" there. Hell, Dracula Untold had better sets. Other than blacksmiths, cast has been lackluster as well.
  • On the flip side, Hive most improved. A couple runs give me more of a sense of the house's backstory, and cast has been getting better at scaring. Gone from below average to slightly above average.
  • Trick r Treat and Clowns remain the only SZs worth a damn, which is sad. Was really hoping Invasion and Festival would improve post-Irma.
  • Couple thoughts on B&T I'll post in that shows's thread.

Agreed completely on AHS. It's not a terrible house, but it's a listless one.

Don't know what Hive was like at the start of the event, but I came away really liking it. Not one of my favorites of all time, but a good, scary original with a fun concept.

As I mentioned, the Zones are all really weak save for Trick R Treat. Personally don't consider the Clowns a Zone, but they are good at getting scares. The zones really drag the event down this year. Could have been one of the best events I've been to, but Hollywood having such a lame zone really leaves a hole in the event you didn't have with Vamp 55 or the Icons.

The law of averages is starting to rear its head.

Updated list so far:

1. Scarecrow - Great cast continues to keep up the scares.
2. Blumhouse - This house is held up by the fantastic cast and haven't had a bad run since Week 1.
3. Dead Waters - Higher than Hive due to the incredible themeing but can have hit or miss runs from the cast; leans towards the good runs though.
4. Hive - Another house held up by the effort of the cast.
5. AHS - Solid runs but still remains middle of the pack due to the other Top 4 houses.
6. Fallen - Cast has taken a big hit; with some scares now missing, and some remaining cast seem to not care. Can have an occasional good run though (like tonight).
7. The Shining - This house is hampered by Cast B which I feel is awful. Cast A runs are great 100%
8. Saw - Meh, at least I don't get bored it like....
9. Ash v. Evil Dead - .I've been bored the past few times going through it. I like the show but... IDK what's going on here.

IMG_5201.JPG IMG_5449.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5761.JPG IMG_5902.JPG IMG_6132.JPG

My midway ranks. These are just opinion. Not necessarily the BEST, but my favorites.

1. Blumhouse
2. Scarecrow
3. Hive
4. Shining
5. Dead Waters
6. AHS
7. Fallen
8. Saw
9. Ash vs. Evil Dead

Zones
1. Trick R Treat
2. Invasion
3. Festival of the Deadliest
4. Purge
5. Altars of Horrah

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Did Hive really get that much better? I feel like I never get a good run through it. Never had a bad run through Scarecrow or Blum though.

Reactions: SeventyOne