Solo: A Star Wars Story | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ron Howard is a really uninspired choice. Most of the Star Wars movies have had great director choices so far. I'll even give Treverrow (sp?) the benefit of the doubt because I loved Safety Not Guaranteed.

Ron Howard is just boring. He's very hit or miss and his more recent movies don't feel particularly special

Variety and THR are reported they didn't leave, they were 100% fired.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s reputation for writing irreverent, poppy films such as “21 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie” helped the white-hot writing and directing duo land one of the most coveted gigs in Hollywood — a chance to call the shots on a “Star Wars” film.

But their chance to put their stamp on a galaxy far, far away collapsed on Tuesday with the stunning announcement that the pair would be departing the still untitled Han Solo spin-off movie in the midst of production. Their exit comes after months of conflict with producer Kathleen Kennedy, others from her LucasFilm team, and co-writer and executive producer Lawrence Kasdan, and the two directors hired to infuse the “Star Wars” universe with a tongue-in-cheek sensibility.

Miller and Lord were stunned to find that they were not being granted freedom to run the production in the manner that they were accustomed to. They balked at Kennedy’s tight control on the set.

‘Star Wars’: Lucasfilm Chief Previews ‘Rogue One’ and Han Solo Spinoff

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right.

“It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

The source said that while Lord and Miller were supposedly hired for their vision and distinctive brand of filmmaking when it came to the “Star Wars” production, Kennedy did not approve of their shooting style and process of interacting with actors and crew. “They weren’t given the leeway to do what they had to do,” the source said.

The duo also clashed with Kasdan, who has been an integral creative part of several “Star Wars” movies, dating back the the 1980 “The Empire Strikes Back.” Like Kennedy, he questioned many of the pair’s directing choices.

“Kathy, her team and Larry Kasdan have been doing it their way for a very long time. They know how the cheese is made and that’s how they want it made,” said the source. “It became a very polarizing set.”

‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Spinoff: Why Kathy Kennedy Fired the Directors | Variety

It also is rumoured they are in shock as they weren't expecting to be fired.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I've always trusted Kathleen Kennedy with Star Wars, but at the same time, there was only three weeks left. Unless they plan to do a lot of reshoots with a new director and push this thing way back, you'd think it would've just been better to gut it out for a few more weeks and let production finish.

If they were fired, I would expect a tell-all interview any day now. The two of them will want to distance themselves from the movie so they don't get blamed if its sucks.

From what I have been reading part of the reason they were fired was because they were trying to make it too much like a comedy and after repeated warnings from Lucasfilm that that wasn't what the movie direction should be boom out the door. Humour always has its place in SW but not to the extent that they were going with.

From what I have been reading part of the reason they were fired was because they were trying to make it too much like a comedy and after repeated warnings from Lucasfilm that that wasn't what the movie direction should be boom out the door. Humour always has its place in SW but not to the extent that they were going with.

You don't hire the two sought after comedy directors and expect them to make a serious film. That is like expecting Seth Rogen to make a serious period romance film.

You don't hire the two sought after comedy directors and expect them to make a serious film. That is like expecting Seth Rogen to make a serious period romance film.

Seth Rogen did 50/50 and while it has funny moments it's definitely a pretty serious film that has some intense dramatic moments in it. From what I've heard, Lord and Miller were improving way too much and Kasdan (the screenwriter) wanted them to stick to the script more, which I can understand since this is his last Star Wars film.

Seth Rogen did 50/50 and while it has funny moments it's definitely a pretty serious film that has some intense dramatic moments in it. From what I've heard, Lord and Miller were improving way too much and Kasdan (the screenwriter) wanted them to stick to the script more, which I can understand since this is his last Star Wars film.

The reason lines get improvised though isn't because they just like lets find funny lines but because the dialogue in the script may not have been working so well. Even if serious films some improvised lines are essential. Mind you he also wrote the screenplay for TFA and it wasn't like he was Aaron Sorkin with the level of dialogue in that film.

I know I'm not saying improv is bad. But sources from the set have been saying that they had been going way overboard with the improv and it was upsetting LucasFilm. And apparently the actors they chose aren't exactly the best at improv so it was weakening their performances by not using the given script.

Lucasfilm 'Unsatisfied' With Alden Ehrenreich's Performance as Han Solo (Report)
Seems like someone may have saved their own butt to cover up the fact they can't act well
This seems like it goes back to the issue of Lord & Miller improvising too much. If you have an actor who can't act, how can you expect him to improvise? It's no wonder LucasFilm was so adamant about sticking to the script.

Either way, my expectations for this film are so low at this point. Is it too late to replace Alden with David Duchoveny? :lol:

Reactions: awhen
Alden Ehrenreich was a lot of fun in Hail Caesar, but the Coen Brothers have a distinct tone in their films because of their dialogue. Lord and Miller improvise a lot, which is their style. Ehreneich either wasn't fit for the role, didn't mesh well with the directors, or a combo of both.

Alden Ehrenreich was a lot of fun in Hail Caesar, but the Coen Brothers have a distinct tone in their films because of their dialogue. Lord and Miller improvise a lot, which is their style. Ehreneich either wasn't fit for the role, didn't mesh well with the directors, or a combo of both.
I think it was a poor choice of directors for a start. They should've known their directing style and what they were getting themselves into.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Too many cooks in this kitchen. After they announced them as directors and the fact that it was a young Han Solo movie... who let's face it is essentially Star Lord... I figured they were going for something more comedic and sarcastic in tone like Guardians.

Too many cooks in this kitchen. After they announced them as directors and the fact that it was a young Han Solo movie... who let's face it is essentially Star Lord... I figured they were going for something more comedic and sarcastic in tone like Guardians.
I feel like Kasden is really protective over this movie seeing that it will be his last film of his career, which could also be causing issues.

I feel like Kasden is really protective over this movie seeing that it will be his last film of his career, which could also be causing issues.

Yes, but that's the risk every screenwriter takes on every movie ever. If Kasdan and Kennedy want it to be their vision so badly, they should just direct it themselves.