Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

A whole Spongebob land (while structure of Toon Lagoon may be perfect for it) would probably be overkill in that the character, and his world, is pretty one note.

Honestly, I think a Spongebob re-theme of ET would be spectacular. The ride system is perfect for that sort of character.
That has been brought up a couple times when they were building the store, ironically

They could honestly turn Comic Strip Cafe into the Krusty Krab
Blondies could be the Chum Bucket
The main stretch could be Bikini Bottom
Popeye becomes a raft ride with the Flying Dutchman, obviously the boat would be re-skined
Dudley becomes a ride through the famous locations (Glove World, Jellyfish fields, Rock Bottom) trying to stop Plankton after he steals the Krabby Patty formula

You could even make the TL theater a Boating School family coaster

Just musing

Underused*. Whoops.
Haha I was just checking, made a point for it being underutilized

has spongebob even been good past the earlier seasons?
No, but neither has The Simpsons...I think merely based on the strength of the earlier stuff (I mean, I still quote it as an adult) and it being still zany and weird for today's kids, it still has a strong appeal...I'm sure we'd see Buzzfeed post something to the likes of "Disneyland is getting a Spongebob theme park and here are 10 reasons we are freaking out"...Huge success

has spongebob even been good past the earlier seasons?
The most recent seasons, 9 and 10, got one of the original showrunners back and there's been a very noticeable upgrade in quality. The show is very watchable again, and the characters definitely aren't as flanderized and as obnoxious as they were in Seasons 5-8. If you're a fan of the first 3 seasons I'd recommend checking out a few of the more recent episodes, some of them such as Mimic Madness are very good.

Fair point, but I don't know, to the Simpsons credit I never think of it as a "cartoon." It seems too adult for that (not that SpongeBob isn't capable of smart, adult humor on occasion).

But the Simpsons were meant to be an adult show (prime time) much as the Flinstones were made as an adult toon of the Honeymooners.

To me, the difference is that Sponge Bob (at least in the early years) was a kids cartoon that adults could enjoy.

I think Popeye is still a classic, Dudley and the surrounding look and feel of the area needs to change...I always though Illumination Island would be fun...Either that, or have Marvel take half of TL and Skull Island/JP take the other half

It really is a fun and creative land, just irrelevant haha

I could totally see those little bastard minions soaking us instead of Popeye.

I could totally see those little bastard minions soaking us instead of Popeye.

man, for some reason that reminds me...on more than one occasion when we have ridden Popeye on a Sunday morning...we have had the same dude sitting on Me Ship squirting us...man, reading what I just types, I wonder if IoA needs a minimum age limit??

:cool:

Listening to the Spongebob Broadway soundtrack (again), Universal would be smart to put a Spongebob show in Toon Lagoon Theater. I don’t want to say an abridged version of the show. I would think the smart thing to do is come up with an original story that leverages some of the songs. Specifically Bikini Bottom Day, BFF, Bikini Bottom Boogie, (maybe) Chop to the Top, and end with Best Day Ever. Keep the Broadway aesthetics, add some audience participation, and Uni could have a good, synergetic show.

Listening to the Spongebob Broadway soundtrack (again), Universal would be smart to put a Spongebob show in Toon Lagoon Theater. I don’t want to say an abridged version of the show. I would think the smart thing to do is come up with an original story that leverages some of the songs. Specifically Bikini Bottom Day, BFF, Bikini Bottom Boogie, (maybe) Chop to the Top, and end with Best Day Ever. Keep the Broadway aesthetics, add some audience participation, and Uni could have a good, synergetic show.

They need to do SOMETHING with that theater. It's such a baffling empty space. They don't even use it for cheerleading competitions anymore. Bring SpongeBob the Musical, Shrek the Musical, Wicked, ANYTHING

They need to do SOMETHING with that theater. It's such a baffling empty space. They don't even use it for cheerleading competitions anymore. Bring SpongeBob the Musical, Shrek the Musical, Wicked, ANYTHING
Especially with Fear Factor and T2 leaving, that leaves Sinbad and HMU as the only real “live” shows.

Spongebob strikes me as something that could compete with Disney’s better shows just because the songs are so fun. Considering the Broadway has a legit shot at a couple of Tony nominations, it could literally be marketed as “Featuring music from the Tony-nominated/winning Broadway show.” The costumes and set are designed. It’s choreographed.

And, it fits perfectly in Toon Lagoon. The only shows that fit the space better are Annie and Lil’ Abner because comic strips.

Especially with Fear Factor and T2 leaving, that leaves Sinbad and HMU as the only real “live” shows.

Spongebob strikes me as something that could compete with Disney’s better shows just because the songs are so fun. Considering the Broadway has a legit shot at a couple of Tony nominations, it could literally be marketed as “Featuring music from the Tony-nominated/winning Broadway show.” The costumes and set are designed. It’s choreographed.

And, it fits perfectly in Toon Lagoon. The only shows that fit the space better are Annie and Lil’ Abner because comic strips.

they more than likely would do Doonesbury the musical because 1. They own it and its based on a comic strip.