Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 218 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a leap to take me saying plenty of people will care about being tracked all day to suggesting it will put them out of business don't you think?
Not the point.

You said something about tracking you throughout your day. Disney already does that and next to no one cares.

Just look at what the Facebook app has access too. There was widespread criticism, fear of rights violations, and paranoia (probably justified) - and look how many people actually deleted Facebook. People will complain, but still go with it because of convenience. I'm concerned about what this can do on a global scale...but even I'm excited about the parks. It's the problem with modern technology, we're not gonna know how badly we screwed up til it's too late.

Not the point.

You said something about tracking you throughout your day. Disney already does that and next to no one cares.

Did you even read the article? It specifically talks about how the Magic bands don't track you all day.

And this is monumentally different than wearing a band that you have to choose to wear and activate. This is going to track you through the entire park and record everything you do. Even if you opt out, it's still going to record that random guest123438u734y went to the bathroom 4 times today.

Like I said, I personally don't care. If this leads to Spiderman sending me a free express pass for my next visit, sign me up.

Yeah... I don't want my face scanned. I'm no recluse but the idea of being facially scanned at a theme park... I'm not a fan.

I don't have an issue with my face being scanned (I live in the UK, CCTV capital of the world) but I think the vision that they have just isn't feasible.

It also seems like this will remove the human touch from the parks. There's been a saying that when Universal would use a sign, Disney would use a cast member, this is just extending that idea.

I don't understand the fascination theme parks have had with changing their entry process. Maybe for a water park it works, but having a credit card sized pass has never been a problem while having an annoying watch I have to worry about frustrates me to no end.

Last edited:
I don't understand the fascination theme parks have had with changing their entry processes/process. Maybe for a water park it works, but having a credit card sized pass has never been a problem while having an annoying watch I have to worry about frustrates me to no end.

All about guest spending. The faster you are inside, the faster you start spending.

Facial recognition software is behind a lot of security camera systems in airports, subways and other public places. It contains software that scans for criminals. The fact is it's scanning every face. The same goes for a growing amount of digital advertising signs where a camera and software checks if and how many people are watching it.

Using biometric info like fingerprints (iphone, entrance to a theme park, airports) is common business. But young and older people have problems with these systems due to their skin. A face is like a fingerprint. There are rules and regulations what can be used from personal information. I worked at a bank and had insight in all financial information from customers at the bank. But the system logged every single thing I did when I dove into that information. There always needed to be a good reason to do that.

I for one am excited for this system. Sitting in a wheelchair the whole fingering myself into a park is a difficult situation. Just scan my face from a distance when I'm wheeling in and I'm fine. All the extra's behind it are great as long as I can tell the system what I want and don't want.

Facial recognition software is behind a lot of security camera systems in airports, subways and other public places. It contains software that scans for criminals. The fact is it's scanning every face. The same goes for a growing amount of digital advertising signs where a camera and software checks if and how many people are watching it.

Using biometric info like fingerprints (iphone, entrance to a theme park, airports) is common business. But young and older people have problems with these systems due to their skin. A face is like a fingerprint. There are rules and regulations what can be used from personal information. I worked at a bank and had insight in all financial information from customers at the bank. But the system logged every single thing I did when I dove into that information. There always needed to be a good reason to do that.

I for one am excited for this system. Sitting in a wheelchair the whole fingering myself into a park is a difficult situation. Just scan my face from a distance when I'm wheeling in and I'm fine. All the extra's behind it are great as long as I can tell the system what I want and don't want.

I don't think this is comparable to a security system. A security system is scanning everybody's face and comparing it to a couple of thousand faces in a database to see who matches. This system is talking about scanning 50 thousand people a day (With large surges in crowds in the morning) and expecting every face to have a match in it's database of 10 million+ people.

I just got back from Shanghai Disneyland and they actually take photos of you without you knowing at the turnstile. I didn't see it until I used the 2nd day of my ticket, which I'm sure they implemented to deter ticket reselling, but I was surprised to see such a shitty picture from a bad angle. I was like when the hell did I take that? :lol:

I just got back from Shanghai Disneyland and they actually take photos of you without you knowing at the turnstile. I didn't see it until I used the 2nd day of my ticket, which I'm sure they implemented to deter ticket reselling, but I was surprised to see such a shitty picture from a bad angle. I was like when the hell did I take that? :lol:

They’ve been doing the same as DL I assume they’ve been doing the same at WDW. Something I did find out was when you go to a restaurant in the parks, the person at front of house will write a description about you when you check in if they can’t seat you straight away.

Reactions: tankart150
Status
Not open for further replies.