Has Universal Lost Its Way? | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Has Universal Lost Sight Of Its Vision?

• Yes

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 77.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I complain about the parking fee, but my AP does not give me overnight parking...I think my issue is that my AP gives me a perk that I do not get any use out of, but, if the hotel prices get bag, I will start using the perk again.

I do like that it is only applied to guest with cars...I bet I could find off site airport parking and an Uber or something if I bothered.

I think I got tired of Disney’s rates a bit because I did not need any of the ‘free’ or included stuff....Magic Express, theme park parking....
I looked last year for a remote lot to stash my car and there is nothing that comes close. Maybe downtown or the airport but not within a 30 minute Uber. I guess I could leave it at a Disney hotel and ride to UOR for two weeks? I wonder if they would notice??? :bonk:

Reactions: Frank Drackman
I looked last year for a remote lot to stash my car and there is nothing that comes close. Maybe downtown or the airport but not within a 30 minute Uber. I guess I could leave it at a Disney hotel and ride to UOR for two weeks? I wonder if they would notice??? :bonk:

I wonder if there is guest parking in that apartment complex behind Diagon Alley?

I do think they lack a certain visionary leader. Too often it seems like their attraction development consists of throwing more and more of what worked before without someone consciously looking at what the park needs.

Honestly, it's pretty much Fallon/F&F and unfortunately the swath of different attractions they removed, which reveals that no one really had a 'vision'.

I just don't understand the direction of the Studios park primarily.

What are they honestly doing with their one really big Animation franchise? Why is it limited to an overlay of an overlay of a simulator? Why is their mega $$$ franchise limited to a copy of a copy of a tram tour... when that clearly doesn't make sense. What on earth are they doing fumbling around with their re-breakout franchise from 2015? Talk about Disney mishandling Marvel in their parks... but why have Universal (who have been aggressively investing and looking aggressively for opportunities) completely ignored their access to the golden goose?

While I look forward to Potter, it still remains to be seen if they will create more than a new attraction in ride vehicle only for either of the two proposed attractions. Gets back into them just defaulting to 'what works'. Hogwarts Express is the different type of attraction I'm referring to. Tonally, storyboarding, experiential difference (screens have absolutely nothing to do with the 'problem' with their vision, or lack thereof).

Hogwarts Express was visionary!

Last edited:
I do think they lack a certain visionary leader. Too often it seems like their attraction development consists of throwing more and more of what worked before without someone consciously looking at what the park needs.

Honestly, it's pretty much Fallon/F&F and unfortunately the swath of different attractions they removed, which reveals that no one really had a 'vision'.

I just don't understand the direction of the Studios park primarily.

What are they honestly doing with their one really big Animation franchise? Why is it limited to an overlay of an overlay of a simulator? Why is their mega $$$ franchise limited to a copy of a copy of a tram tour... when that clearly doesn't make sense. What on earth are they doing fumbling around with their re-breakout franchise from 2015? Talk about Disney mishandling Marvel in their parks... but why have Universal (who have been aggressively investing and looking aggressively for opportunities) completely ignored their access to the golden goose?

While I look forward to Potter, it still remains to be seen if they will create more than a new attraction in ride vehicle only for either of the two proposed attractions. Gets back into them just defaulting to 'what works'. Hogwarts Express is the different type of attraction I'm referring to. Tonally, storyboarding, experiential difference (screens have absolutely nothing to do with the 'problem' with their vision, or lack thereof).

Hogwarts Express was visionary!
More Potter and Nintendo is the vision. Lets wait a few years and see what comes about.
In the meantime I like what I have, a moderate drinking park with a cutting edge land, cool pop culture spots and a coaster I don't want to ride and one I do.
Maybe they will throw some anime at the screenz while they are at it or some AAs that tickle the FB's fancy, either way they are moving forward and I don't see attractions being delivered down the street anytime soon.

More Potter and Nintendo is the vision. Lets wait a few years and see what comes about.
In the meantime I like what I have, a moderate drinking park with a cutting edge land, cool pop culture spots and a coaster I don't want to ride and one I do.
Maybe they will throw some anime at the screenz while they are at it or some AAs that tickle the FB's fancy, either way they are moving forward and I don't see attractions being delivered down the street anytime soon.

To be fair, this is strictly an assessment of 2014/2015 era decisions, as that's all I personally know. I'm hopeful for the future, but the rumours fly fast and free.

IDK. I'm there 20 to 25 days a year and I've never yet had one negative experience. Quite the opposite. Cordial friendly staff that went out of their way numerous times to give us a special experience, food lines way shorter than WDW, shorter than WDW stand by & single ride lines for the times we don't have a deluxe hotel (Express Pass) booking. . In fact, we've received special over the top individual treatment that's prompted me to write congratulatory thank you letters to Bill Davis. I must be going to a different park I guess.:)
I think you're right that we must be going to a different park because I find Universal's Ops to typically be on power trips, which generally results in bad guest interaction. It goes back to Comcast too because they want to get shifts over as quick as possible, so if you are there at the end of HHN for example, they will start yelling at you to go instead of being kind and providing good guest service while also letting you know it's time to leave.

Or for another example, at HRRR and Hulk, once the park closes, the TMs start clearing out the lockers almost immediately and sending things to lost and found. Happened to me recently where I rode Hulk at close and went to the bathroom after I got off. I then went to go get my stuff... but it wasn't there. So instead of just keeping TMs on the clock for an extra 30 mins or so, they are choosing to give less hours and do things that are providing a bad guest experience.

My objective opinion is that Magical Moments are great when a TM/CM is genuine and forced magical moments are corporate BS, which I've said like multiple times here, which is why my objective opinion is they shouldn't be mandatory corporate BS.
I mean... most people don't do them nowaday's anyways when they come up in the system at Disney. Getting that is something people love getting because it's pretty much a 15 minute break. Most people either hang out backstage or linger onstage.

The mandated ones never happen... almost all are actually genuine.

Last edited:
At Islands, there are always only two TMs in Guest Services and a line out the door. I was in line to get a birthday pin for my cousin. A manager came out to help one of the TMs and I told her "I just need a pin". She helped me and asked others in the line if anyone else needed pins. About half of those people raised their hands. At Animal Kingdom, there's at least 5 cast members in guest services and one outside with an IPad asking guests what is it that they needed.

Also, the guest services at Universal are out in the sun while Disney attempts to provide some shade with umbrellas. Its that "Disney Difference"

THIS. Hell to me is a Universal Guest Services line.. or God forbid you need to go to a ticket window which are always staffed half or less of what they actually have. Both Disney AND SeaWorld win on this front.

Well it depends.

All things equal (drawing power, global IP strength, local IP strength), you'd want to use a Universal IP over another company's IP.

But there are some IPs with much greater drawing power than any average IP: Harry Potter and the Nintendo IPs fall into that category. So those are definitely worth using across the parks because they have drawing power that Universal needs. But this really only applies to live action IPs now. Other future examples include LOTR/Middle Earth as well as Star Trek (both have uniquely large fanbases and drawing power that could increase attendance versus other IPs).

With respect to animated IPs I feel like Universal should never use another company's animated IP ever again; Universal is now producing up to 3-4 major animated movies a year as well as a lot of animated tv shows (and that doesn't include all of the other characters that they own rights to), so in terms of promoting IPs, animated IPs should only be from Universal IPs.

Correct in regarding to Universal's own animated IPs. No movie studio apart from Disney is more successful in animation than Universal is, since Universal acquired DreamWorks Animation in 2016. However, even so, I haven't seen Universal made proper use of its own IPs. Universal does still have its own distinct identity after all and it feels off for whatever Universal make use of the external properties.

Love the optimism Joe. But all we can do is judge them on their current and recent merits- not on rumors.
They haven’t gone wrong with potter yet, only exceeding our expectations. And Nintendo seems like it’d almost be impossible to screw up. But I agree with Brian below.

I'm hopeful for the future, but the rumours fly fast and free.

But seriously guys this is getting pedantic.
What do you want Joe? I mean- one person isn’t dominating any conversation, there are dozens of posters in this thread all articulating their opinions in a discussion forum where everyone is being respectful.

It’s about as ideal a thread as a moderator could want. Outside of universal not being showered in praise, of course.

Lets play a game.

Match the the official descriptions with the themepark.

1. You're the star here and you'll disappear into one jaw-dropping adventure after another. Dodge evil villains. Defend the earth. Face a fire-breathing dragon. In this theme park, you do way more than ride the movies—you make them come to life.

2. Discover worlds of wonder around the globe, under the sea… and beyond!

3. Encounter the magic of nature with animal adventures and entertainment.

4. Prepare for a place where super heroes, beasts and magical creatures stand before you. You’re entering lands where everything is real. Let the adventures begin.

5. Take center stage in the worlds of movies, television, music and theater.

6. Explore Lands of Endless Enchantment, Where Your Fantasy Becomes a Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.