HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017 | Page 178 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
(Note: I also posted the gist of this in the Orlando forum, though I did add a few additional thoughts here.)

I just visited Orlando's HHN for my first time after years of attending Hollywood's. It was interesting to compare.

I do like their themes better. It's so great to see original houses. And some of the production value is incredible, especially Dead Waters and AHS. I like that they have a variety of scares and moods. It's nice that their mazes are all relatively close together, unlike Hollywood where you have to walk great, long distances between mazes.

What I didn't like: the lack of a compelling facade as you enter the maze/building. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled in Southern California, but nearly every maze (in a variety of parks: Universal, Knott's, and even Magic Mountain) all have major facades right as you enter. I was truly surprised to be entering just a plain office door with often a plain empty room before getting to the main facade. Is that typical? The only exceptions were Blumhouse and Scarecrow. It really threw me off. I guess that's the equivalent of the "black hallways" we often complain about in Hollywood, but it really bugged me.

I also think our scareactors are a little more on point. Definitely more aggressive. That may be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view, but I prefer them aggressive. For that reason, I also generally found the scare zones a bit disappointing from an experience point of view (though visually, they were cool).

As for Bill and Ted... I enjoyed it, but as an outsider, it never really caught on with me. I did see all the Bill & Ted show in Hollywood when they had their short run, and it never really jibbed here. Our crowd never really participated, as we didn't have that long history behind it. That said, the energy from the locals there does add a tremendous value, even when the writing isn't really that great. (For that matter, I've also always thought The Hanging is very overrated.) And as a gay man, I wished there had been a bit more man candy, haha. But I also figure this year had to be especially tough, as it had to keep to it's true nature as well as have a certain sentimentality as a farewell show. Not an easy balance to hit.

I will say, while I liked their Shining, which was more abstract and interpretive, I think ours is better. It really immerses you in the movie. I did really like their AHS... it was cool to see Asylum and Coven (though it's much more Asylum). Some of the set pieces are quite amazing. But in general, I think our mazes do a much better job at "putting you in the movie". Oh, and I also thought our Blumhouse was much better. Over there, Sinister and Purge are literally two rooms each, with the remainder of the maze being Insidious. Feels super off balance.

Last edited:
I always understood that due to physical limitations, Orlando surpassed us in their maze sets and how large theirs were, but I feel our make-up and costumes are more superior. I understood that people felt The Shining Jack silicone masks our actors had were odd to look directly at, but IMO they were easier on the eyes than those prosthetic forehead appliances the Orlando actors wore.

I agree about the make up and costumes being superior. Although it goes both ways. The "Jack" masks in Hollywood are a bit surreal, and can take me out of the moment a bit. The forehead effect in Orlando also comes across a bit fake, but it's also more intense to get the actors full face and facial expressions. Which, at the same time, can work against them if you start thinking, "that guy doesn't look anything at all like Jack Nicholson". So it's a bit of a lose-lose no matter which route you go.

In general, I do feel our Sinister section was better. If nothing else, it was longer. Over there, it was the intial set up wall that read "Sinister", the one bloody hallway with maybe one Bagul, and one additional generic looking hallway with a "kid" actor. Although the kid actor was holding a flashlight, and the lights would sometimes go out in that hallway, causing it to be only illuminated by his single flashlight for a moment. That was a simple, but very cool effect. But that was literally all that I can recall... after that, it was straight to the Purge (for literally two small rooms). It was very odd pacing... it was 15% Sinister, 10% Purge, and 75% Insidious. Really, if you ask me, at that point, just make the entire maze Insidious.

Last edited:
IMG_1178.jpg
PHOTO ABOVE IS NOT MINE!

I noticed that I've been really inactive on this forum review wise.
So last night was my 7th night of HHN this year; I know this year is a "bad" year but I'm doing a 17 night streak, it's hell:clap:

Even then, this year isn't that bad, it's being right after one of the best years of HHN that makes it bad. On top of that Orlando is having one of their BEST years and kicking our ass. That's my opinion on the matter at least.
The actors in SAW, AHS, HOB and Insidious I've found are the only actors who have nailed down their roles. (Timing their scares with audio and with each other perfectly) The Shining, ASH, and TOT actors are all in a good amount of trouble with show control due to "goofing off", Ash especially. That maze is already on the bottom of the list for some people but it is now doing worse due to actors being lazy and missing scares. TOT actors wave, dance, dab, whip, etc. I love when actors have fun but to a certain extent. Chop-Top has been whipping while I've passed him the past few nights. This is not a rant on the actors because I love all of them! They're some of the nicest people to be around but hopefully this on-going issue gets fixed. I believe this happens every year. This is a rant mainly on the actors for TOT and Ash because The Shining actors only do it to friends and are still interactive with the guests to the point where the experience is good.

Unimonsters an account dedicated to the Universal Monsters got TOT maze tour with Murdy last week. There was not much to report since everything in that maze is out in the open or reused. There isn't much else to report that I've noticed "easter egg" wise. I mean the theory that "The entire HOB is The Purge" but that's a bit of a stretch, fried oreos are the bomb diggity, and the grilled cheese of the backlot recipe was changed. The Shining and TOT are by far my favorite mazes of this year with AHS closely following. I strongly dislike SAW, it's not my type of maze and the same can be said about ASH. But both of them are still killer mazes.IMG_7541.jpgIMG_7480.jpgIMG_7243.jpgIMG_7173.jpgIMG_7330.jpg

I know there's a thing called opinions, but Shining below TWDA and Blumhouse as number one is just silly lol

Oh, that sounds new, can't wait to see how that plays instead of the original ending. I'm assuming it's not a well designed part of the maze because it originally was just the Big Daddy purger gunning people down and they swapped it for that. Unless it's always been there and I didn't see it in my run-through or in the videos.

Sorry, I meant the finale of the HDD part.

A few updates:
  • It seems if they're not sold out, they're selling FOL passes for $59 after 11pm.
  • They have upped the number of live walkers in TWD, done a bit of relighting for the bicycle girl, and have the feeding walker in the truck animatronic working again, and (new?) animatronics at the end cages. There were 4 walkers (live actors) in the truck scene alone! We went through that maze with some non-regular HHN guests, and they actually had that as one of their favorite mazes. It also got up to a 120 minute line, the longest I saw all night of all the mazes.
  • They are now doing a Beer & Wine Garden at the Studio Cafe in the lower lot until midnight.
  • The Plaza Grill is now selling a Cheeseburger Burrito, and Parmesan Garlic Fries (which I believe are also both available during the day).
  • New "Bates Motel" sign shirt being sold in main gift shop.
See my twitter account at rideguy70 for a few pics.

On a side note, I've also found that the tables by Mel's Diner allow for some fun viewing of the small scare area as guests enter the Blumhouse Theater. Fun way to pass the time. :)

Reactions: Timberfellingrobot
If you go on a nice cheap day, say for $59, and get those FOL passes for $59, that's $118, which sounds like a steal. And you could easily do every maze and ride within 3 hours before closing. Last time, I finished all the mazes by 10:30, so that'd basically just be a repeat ticket. The only thing would be if the line is low and if they'd be done processing your tix by 11:15 or 11:45 before the Terror Tram closes.

However, KSF has a Skip the Line wheel for 5 bucks that gets you into a random maze for 2 people, and I reckon even doing that 3 times would be worth it if you happen to get Trick Or Treat, Infected, and Red Barn for 15 bucks.

I posted about this on my Twitter yesterday but I recall hearing Slaughterhouses' theme from Knott's Scary Farm in the Metro Sets. It really did fit the atmosphere but it was so strange to hear another park's music being played somewhere else, wouldn't doubt that it's a freeware song that anyone can use.
You guys might have heard it too but paid no mind to it.

Reactions: KreepyKarpy
View attachment 5612
PHOTO ABOVE IS NOT MINE!
I don't know if anyone on this forum has pointed it out yet, but I find it interesting that they used the miniseries version of the Bathtub Lady as the mask rather than the Kubrick version (or at least a mix of the two. It looks more like the miniseries than the original).
33daca4b542329ca2fc9b893ac1ea4f1.jpg

Stellar photos, by the way!

I had my suspicion when I went in the second time that the lady looked different. Sure enough the next day when I re-watched the movie and then googled the mini-series, I felt something was up. I guess since the mini-series one looks more non-human, it served as a better scare.

I forgot where I heard/read it but is it true Murdy wants to do a BoH Volume 2? I thought I heard it somewhere and I’m hoping it’s not true.

I forgot where I heard/read it but is it true Murdy wants to do a BoH Volume 2? I thought I heard it somewhere and I’m hoping it’s not true.

I think it was just speculated here. In all honesty though, being that HoB was the "science experiment", I'm hoping it'll show the creative team maybe it's not best to cram properties in one maze. Even though I loved it, I wouldn't be too keen on having a new mash-up next year.

I think it was just speculated here. In all honesty though, being that HoB was the "science experiment", I'm hoping it'll show the creative team maybe it's not best to cram properties in one maze. Even though I loved it, I wouldn't be too keen on having a new mash-up next year.

Yeah same. I loved seeing the properties used for BoH in a house, but I wouldn’t want it to return(Purge especially!).

Yeah same. I loved seeing the properties used for BoH in a house, but I wouldn’t want it to return(Purge especially!).

If, God forbid, they bring another Blumhouse mashup next year, they should kill off the mini gauntlet before the movie house, since that caused the largest maze back-up I've seen in all my years of going.