2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It is way to early for those that are visiting this week, but I understand that it actually takes them several weeks to get all the decorations up.

The Christmas lights on Cinderella Castle started going up over a month ago.

Unfortunately it can't all go up in a day like I do at my house.

And it's not even like they go from one spot to the next at a time - these are multiple crews of people getting as many areas at once as humanly possible.

When Main Street USA is being done you literally cannot fit any more lift or crane equipment down the entire length of the street.

Universal does have "less" to do than Disney, but they also have to quickly remove all of HHN as well.

If you ever look where you know holiday decor goes in the non-holiday period, look for eye hook in various facades. Those mark where the wreaths, garlands, etc.. go. Those are all done before the night of install.

So the locations of pieces are planned - like two 6ft wreaths, twelve 8ft garlands, etc.. for a building and for months prior people go out and verify mounting equipment is in place and functional, or they install it as needed. Meanwhile others are actually fabricating and repairing pieces.

MK and Epcot both actually get 2 nights of install. MK is pretty much Main Street, entry, toll booths, etc.. on one night and then the rest of the park on the other. Epcot is all about the countries - some can be done in a night, others take both nights. The crews stay in their assigned country until finished and then move to the next one to help out.

Resorts each get one night - but they can be doing like 5 resorts in a single night.

Nearly everything has some go-back time to fix things that broke, didnt fit properly, etc..

And it's not even like they go from one spot to the next at a time - these are multiple crews of people getting as many areas at once as humanly possible.

When Main Street USA is being done you literally cannot fit any more lift or crane equipment down the entire length of the street.

Universal does have "less" to do than Disney, but they also have to quickly remove all of HHN as well.

If you ever look where you know holiday decor goes in the non-holiday period, look for eye hook in various facades. Those mark where the wreaths, garlands, etc.. go. Those are all done before the night of install.

So the locations of pieces are planned - like two 6ft wreaths, twelve 8ft garlands, etc.. for a building and for months prior people go out and verify mounting equipment is in place and functional, or they install it as needed. Meanwhile others are actually fabricating and repairing pieces.

MK and Epcot both actually get 2 nights of install. MK is pretty much Main Street, entry, toll booths, etc.. on one night and then the rest of the park on the other. Epcot is all about the countries - some can be done in a night, others take both nights. The crews stay in their assigned country until finished and then move to the next one to help out.

Resorts each get one night - but they can be doing like 5 resorts in a single night.

Nearly everything has some go-back time to fix things that broke, didnt fit properly, etc..
And here I leave xmas lights hooks stapled to my outside walls all year. Super easy. I'm lazy.

I am sort of happy, I've seldom done holidays at UNI due to its limited window.

This year, I think I am going at the start of the event coinciding with my daughter’s school schedule...get in and get out b4 the holiday...so we can see the park stuff, I think we may mis some of the resort stuff, but we’ve liked the Macy’s parade and I am happy we will see the new take on it, plus see what the Wizard lands do....

Reactions: Andysol
I’m hyped. I booked a trip just for this when it was announced a few months ago- added 2 days to my first Disney trip (outside of free DVC events) in nearly two years.

Reactions: Jones14
From the Sentinel, “Even Hollywood Studios, where there’s so much construction … that’s not stopping people,” she said. “People who are going at Christmas do their research.”

My thought is, if they did their research, they wouldn’t be going at Christmas...

The article which includes Universal too:
Theme parks selling experiences for holidays - Orlando Sentinel

Happy to read the part about self propelled w/ on board audio...I just recall from Cinematic that their park BGM system did not seem able to handle a moving parade....but I guess they always do that for things like Mardi Gras...so maybe it was just a nothing statement?

Happy to read the part about self propelled w/ on board audio...I just recall from Cinematic that their park BGM system did not seem able to handle a moving parade....but I guess they always do that for things like Mardi Gras...so maybe it was just a nothing statement?
No I agree. Their park audio system doesn’t ‘section’ very well... if that makes any sense. MK does this the best with their parade route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drackman
Love how Universal is putting up a ton of Christmas decorations. I will be making a trip just to check it out. Will they be adding a Christmas tree to the Hogwarts courtyard? Or will that just be a projection?

Last edited:
Anyone else think that "Macy's Parade - Superstar Character Edition" is an immensely boring decision?
It's actually not the Macy's parade. It's the Universal Holiday Parade and it will be big. The balloons they're using they will actually own now. That way they don't have to wait until after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to open their Holiday offerings. The balloons we're a big hit on survey's that's why they're still in the parade but everything else is completely different than what they have done in the past. This should be recognized as the start of a complete shift in Universal's Holiday offerings and the plans are to expand in this new direction every year.

It's actually not the Macy's parade. It's the Universal Holiday Parade and it will be big. The balloons they're using they will actually own now. That way they don't have to wait until after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade to open their Holiday offerings. The balloons we're a big hit on survey's that's why they're still in the parade but everything else is completely different than what they have done in the past. This should be recognized as the start of a complete shift in Universal's Holiday offerings and the plans are to expand in this new direction every year.
It actually is the Macy's parade. The actual full name of the actual parade actually is "Universal's Holiday Parade Featuring Macy's." But you're actually missing my actual point. My actual opinion is that it actually looks lame. Actually doing another variation of the actual Macy's parade but actually adding actual characters to it actually doesn't hold any actual appeal to me.

Semantics aside, I'm excited that they're finally starting to beef up their holiday offerings. The Wizarding World stuff should be quite lovely. But essentially doing a mash-up of the Macy's parade and the Superstar Character Parade is an incredibly uncreative decision and is a huge downgrade in my eyes. I'm super whatever about Minions, Shrek, and Madagascar, so this lands as a big fart noise to me. They could have done something like, say, for example, a nighttime Christmas light parade and that would've been amazing.

It actually is the Macy's parade. The actual full name of the actual parade actually is "Universal's Holiday Parade Featuring Macy's." But you're actually missing my actual point. My actual opinion is that it actually looks lame. Actually doing another variation of the actual Macy's parade but actually adding actual characters to it actually doesn't hold any actual appeal to me.

Semantics aside, I'm excited that they're finally starting to beef up their holiday offerings. The Wizarding World stuff should be quite lovely. But essentially doing a mash-up of the Macy's parade and the Superstar Character Parade is an incredibly uncreative decision and is a huge downgrade in my eyes. I'm super whatever about Minions, Shrek, and Madagascar, so this lands as a big fart noise to me. They could have done something like, say, for example, a nighttime Christmas light parade and that would've been amazing.
They were also surveying a Holiday night parade as a replacement for the Macy's Parade. Guess it didn't make the cut, or didn't get the right results.

Reactions: SeventyOne