Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Does TWD need an exclusive makeover for HHN or should it stay as it is during the season? I personally think it should get something special for the season, maybe not an IP but an expansion of the maze itself with """new sets""" and new characters. Before you bring up that Murdy said it's too early for it, House of Horrors opened in 2007 and got its first HHN makeover (Chucky's Funhouse) in 2009. Walking Dead opened in 2016 and of course next year would be it's second year running which is the same amount of time that took House of Horrors to get something for HHN.

TWDA did test out a new scare for HHN but it did not work out due to the amount of actors. In between the two trucks in the Del Arno scene they tested out a new hoard effect

Does TWD need an exclusive makeover for HHN or should it stay as it is during the season? I personally think it should get something special for the season, maybe not an IP but an expansion of the maze itself with """new sets""" and new characters. Before you bring up that Murdy said it's too early for it, House of Horrors opened in 2007 and got its first HHN makeover (Chucky's Funhouse) in 2009. Walking Dead opened in 2016 and of course next year would be it's second year running which is the same amount of time that took House of Horrors to get something for HHN.
They really do need to do something to make it “new”. No appeal to anyone who has done it at regular hours, why would we go through an experience with “more zombies and sets” and disregard all new mazes, that are probably better?

TWDA did test out a new scare for HHN but it did not work out due to the amount of actors. In between the two trucks in the Del Arno scene they tested out a new hoard effect

Really? I missed that one. What was it?

I thought when the permanent TWD attraction first opened, I believe Murdy said the final 1/3 could be switched out, to keep the maze fresh. As far as I know, they've never done that... but that said, the final 1/3 is (for the most part) probably the most effective part of that maze, so there's not much incentive to change it.

I thought when the permanent TWD attraction first opened, I believe Murdy said the final 1/3 could be switched out, to keep the maze fresh. As far as I know, they've never done that... but that said, the final 1/3 is (for the most part) probably the most effective part of that maze, so there's not much incentive to change it.

They only tested the effects for a few hours.

On opening night, I did TWDA with my group before 8pm, which was our dinner reservation time, and there were only 11 actors in it overall. Apparently they added more as the event went on, but I feel like that attraction really needs more life, no pun intended.

Essentially, as guests passed by the trucks, around 4 or 5 walkers would approach from in between clumped together as a "horde". The only real trouble with it was that once they were out from in between the trucks they didn't really seem to know what to do scare wise. It was a very cool effect while it lasted though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ush.hacker
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of a Blumhouse Volume 2. Especially with how successful the Maze was this year with it being the 2nd highest rated maze this year. But my quick thoughts on what I think will happen for HHN2018.

AHS Cult - New Season. Been seeing a lot of requests from people for this one. It has content and I wouldn't mind it. It's a great season. If Orlando does it this year and Hollywood does it then we can easily promote without suffering from the whole Orlando does 3 Seasons while we do one of those seasons.

Blumhouse V2 - While I disliked Blumhouse a lot it was very popular on multiple nights and was very highly rated. The Purge, Get Out, Truth or Dare. The Purge we have seen and there is a new Movie coming out. Easy to promote and they can do the Gaunlet again. Get Out extremely successful movie this year. It has some content and is a great movie. Truth or Dare is a Movie coming up in April about a College Student being haunted by a Supernatural Spirit. Would not be surprised to see Blumhouse again.

Halloween - Speaking of Blumhouse we all know there is a New Halloween Movie coming out in 2018 and it's being made by Blumhouse. Very highly requested from what I have. Halloween both 2015 and 2016 were very well received. Michael Myers is too big of a character IMO to be thrown into Blumhouse. So I would imagine they would want to give him a Solo Maze again.

Trick 'r Treat - Orlando did a Scare Zone this year and was the Highest Rated Scare Zone. It's very well requested and has content. I would imagine they would want to do TRT finally.

The Strangers - Was done back as a House of Horrors Overlay in 2008. The First film was made by Universal and there is a New Film coming out this March. I have seen a decent amount of Fan Requests for it. So I would think it is possible.

Poltergeist - The trend of every year being that every year we get a Classic Movie as a Maze. '14 AWIL, '15 Halloween, '16 Exorcist, and '17 Shining. It has some fan requests and I'm sure people would recognize it very much. It has content and I could see it happening.

Original Maze - I don't what to say if Universal doesn't know that we want a Original Maze. A lot of requests for La Llorona to come back which I don't see happening. I could see another Folklore maze happening. Legends like Chupacabra, Japanese legends like Shuten Dõji, Kuchisake-onna, or Native American Legends like Yee Naaldloooshi, Skudakumooch, Teihiihan, Wendigo, etc.

Now here is what I don't see happening.

IT - While easily the most Fan Requested I don't see it happening until 2019 or 2020. For the New Movie to come out.

The Conjuring - I would imagine they would want to wait until the Lawsuit is over (Also depanding on if Warner Bros wins) and when/and if a Conjuring 3 happens.

Stranger Things - Depands on if Netflix allows it. It has enough content to be a Maze but I wouldn't get too excited for it.

^ I actually enjoyed Blumhouse, but I'd prefer if they waited Blumhouse V. 2. Sure, it has good audience ratings, but how much of that was due to it having a property that people liked in it? The Purge appeals to GA, HDD had alot of hype from teenagers, and Sinister appeals to us haunt fanatics. I think they should wait a year or two and see if some other movies with a good amount of variety between them (Spooky Jack, Unfriended 2, etc.) come along.

When people are wanting Poltergeist on social media, they're talking about the original right? Not the recent remake? This is a valid question considering how HHN can sometimes work and the dreaded possibility of if the creative team intends for the original, but copyright reasons result in changing it to the remake.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the possibility of a Blumhouse Volume 2. Especially with how successful the Maze was this year with it being the 2nd highest rated maze this year. But my quick thoughts on what I think will happen for HHN2018.

AHS Cult - New Season. Been seeing a lot of requests from people for this one. It has content and I wouldn't mind it. It's a great season. If Orlando does it this year and Hollywood does it then we can easily promote without suffering from the whole Orlando does 3 Seasons while we do one of those seasons.

The Strangers - Was done back as a House of Horrors Overlay in 2008. The First film was made by Universal and there is a New Film coming out this March. I have seen a decent amount of Fan Requests for it. So I would think it is possible.

I wouldn’t count on the Strangers and Cult in the same year. They are too similar, with the smiley face from Cult being in the trailer for The Strangers; in general it would essentially be the same house with different characters. Strangers comes out in March, and the rights aren’t owned by Universal anymore. If the movie bombs, it would be like if The Mummy were to come last year; just a general “Why is that here?” Plus, with Cult I really don’t see Hollywood wanting to mess with the political season of AHS when they could just do Coven or Asylum instead. I’d be fine if one or the other came; preferably Strangers if it means we could hear “I Think Were Alone Now” in a Haunt

Last edited:
Reactions: MacMillian Crew
After seeing the teaser for A Quiet Place, I'm interested in watching it; perhaps there might be content in it so that it can be brought to the event if it performs well enough and thus have a new IP maze from a recent horror movie at the event.

Just a question on Poltergeist; if it comes as a maze what would pop out for scares?
Besides from the “Theyre Here” Scene and maybe the clown and closet I can’t think of much maze content

Just a question on Poltergeist; if it comes as a maze what would pop out for scares?
Besides from the “Theyre Here” Scene and maybe the clown and closet I can’t think of much maze content

Skeletons and a guy with hamburger meat for a face, probably. To be honest, they're probably going to have to Exorcist this maze and make them go inside the closet or something in order to make this maze work.

I wouldn’t count on the Strangers and Cult in the same year. They are too similar, with the smiley face from Cult being in the trailer for The Strangers; in general it would essentially be the same house with different characters. Strangers comes out in March, and the rights aren’t owned by Universal anymore. If the movie bombs, it would be like if The Mummy were to come last year; just a general “Why is that here?” Plus, with Cult I really don’t see Hollywood wanting to mess with the political season of AHS when they could just do Coven or Asylum instead. I’d be fine if one or the other came; preferably Strangers if it means we could “I Think Were Alone Now” in a Haunt
1. We practically had 2 different mazes this year with the same type of character being used either a lot or the only thing for Pop Scares. Aka the Pig Man for both Saw and AHS. So I don't think they care about the simiarities.

2. Cult isn't too political. It's not too hard to avoid the Political moments as the horror and Political moments are completely seperate. If they were considered about Political Issues then they probably wouldn't do Asylum in fear of what happened to 2016's Asylum VR Experience.

I also wouldn't doubt the use of screens for some of the advanced paranormal stuff like floating objects in Carol Anne's bedroom or Carol Anne being sucked into her closet. If they included elements from the last 2 movies in there, they may have more to go off of.

If if the Comcast/20th Century Fox deal is successful, think of all of Fox's IP and properties Universal could select from. American Horror Story would now be officially NBCUniversal's IPs. A stand-alone Alien movie based in 1979 or 1986 would be adopted (assuming Disney decided not to renew the Alien theme park contract). The Fly would also be a good addition to the HHN. That way, Universal would license fewer properties and it would make Universal less more selective with the IPs.