2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Interestingly enough, Journey was only doing a 20min wait from what I saw on the app. I'm not sure if the show is congesting the area so much that people can't get to the ride, or they are just there for the show and rode earlier, or what. It certainly doesnt have less people as 20mins is the lowest time they tend to post and leave it there even when it goes to a walk on, but you' think with all the people in the area focused on the castle they'd have more in the castle.

Only thing I can really think of is that unlike the morning crush, the ride is operating at full capacity. In the morning it comes online slowly - starting with vehicles as guests make it to the platform (the actual walk, lockers, grouping, etc.. hence the 20min minimum posted), then once it has any sort of standing line it's every 4th vehicle (so 1/4 of the intended daily operational number) and then it wont start bringing the other vehicles online until the line gets to the greenhouse. That certainly adds to the morning wait, but it's usually switched over within 30mins, less on busy days, worst case scenario an hour on a super slow day.

I’m guessing they are Christie 4K RGB laser projectors similar to the ones USH put in their Citywalk IMAX. Wish I knew for sure.

This is an interesting question. The RGB Christies have a projection head and external laser modules. Would all of this fit in the towers? I don't know how far you can run the fiber optics but you could theoretically locate the laser racks under the towers or something. There are also some wacky requirements for safety signage on laser systems, so it should be easy to spot something of the sort somewhere.

Reactions: Skubersky
Just checked out the standby line times for Sunday morning (10:30 AM). The Sunday morning before Thanksgiving is usually fairly slow. But the standby times at IOA and Studios are presently pretty busy. FJ, Kong, Spider Man, Gringotts, Rocket, Transformers all apx. 1 hour stand by, Despicable Me 90 minutes. Don't see those kinds of time on any Sunday morning at Universal very often.

Reactions: Teebin
Universal should keep the park open at least until 10pm on the weekends. The parks almost always closes early.

For most of the month of December the parks close before or at 9pm.
IMO, a world class theme park like Universal should never close before 9pm unless there's a hard ticket event like HHN. The fact that Universal closes so damn early for 90% of the year is my least favorite part of the resort.

IMO, a world class theme park like Universal should never close before 9pm unless there's a hard ticket event like HHN. The fact that Universal closes so damn early for 90% of the year is my least favorite part of the resort.

I agree with this and I know others who do too. My only logical reasoning is that they want to drive us into City Walk where we will still spend and Uni wont have the overheads of running the parks late. Surly this has to change in the future.

Over at Disney I have stayed in MK til 3am before and had a blast, saying that though even Disney doesnt open that late anymore.

I agree with this and I know others who do too. My only logical reasoning is that they want to drive us into City Walk where we will still spend and Uni wont have the overheads of running the parks late. Surly this has to change in the future.

Over at Disney I have stayed in MK til 3am before and had a blast, saying that though even Disney doesnt open that late anymore.
Yes, Disney certainly has cut their closing hours the past couple of years, especially MK. I used to really enjoy the real late hours at MK. They're kind of sparse now....I think one of the main issues with Universal staying open late in the past was the small amount of on site hotel rooms. That is no longer a valid excuse, and they need to develop the quality night shows to keep those on site guests in the parks until later....Evening shows is the one area that Disney still stands heads above Universal. Universal needs to close that gap to show they're a true equal to Disney. It seems that they are at the beginning stages of doing that.

Reactions: captainmoch
So what are the seasonal food items besides the usual hot butterbeer?
Family Holiday Feast (for 4) at both Theee Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron with turkey and all the fixins. And a butternut squash soup is also available for the season.

I asked. These were the only other seasonal offerings I could find.

Looks good with the crowd present. If I was watching the parade though, I'd line up on the streets of NY for the NYC ambiance & immersion, plus , by then, it would be darkness for the entire parade, except just the end. Looks best with the lights.

@Andy and @Brian G. were at the park's yesterday, over at New York Street. I would not be surprised if we see a video a bit later this week.

Reactions: UK-Trigg
Looks good with the crowd present. If I was watching the parade though, I'd line up on the streets of NY for the NYC ambiance & immersion, plus , by then, it would be darkness for the entire parade, except just the end. Looks best with the lights.

Was thinking the same after watching the preview vids, the NY facades would add the perfect backdrop.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I see IOA already starting some of the 6pm closures next month to 7pm. :lol: Still not gonna cut it considering they're selling a nighttime experience that as of right now everyone will have... what... an hour and a half to witness?

I see IOA already starting some of the 6pm closures next month to 7pm. :lol: Still not gonna cut it considering they're selling a nighttime experience that as of right now everyone will have... what... an hour and a half to witness?
Check out April 2018. IOA closing at 9 & 10 most nights except for Grad nights. Even end of the month, long after Easter & Spring Break.

Hot Takes:
  • Hogwarts projection show is amazing. Best use of the technology I've seen. Hopefully a 6-minute show every 20 minutes helps with crowd control. AP preview went smoothly.
  • Really enjoyed Celestina Warbeck Christmas show. Songs may not be quite as catchy as the originals, but choreography and vocals are top-notch. Decor in Diagon and London fits the atmosphere, very believable.
  • Blues Brothers Christmas Show hasn't changed in a decade, but why mess with perfection? My favorite holiday experience in Orlando.
  • Macy's Parade looks great. I like the new balloons and the floats. That soundtrack is basically Muzak tho. Soft classical interpretations of Christmas standards don't fit the park or the IPs represented, give the dancers nothing to dance to. Really need to add some songs with a pulse. Also, not sure if an opening night glitch, but Santa stopped and the tree just sort of turned on--no countdown, no fanfare, no Rockettes.The pieces for a great parade are in place, just need to tweek it.