Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 249 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the key analysis: UCPM III and FQP control about 100-120 acres of prime buildable land near/around the Universal 575 acres.

This bankruptcy proceeding would remove 65 acres from that, i.e. more than half.

The reason this is important is that it makes it easier for Universal to bargain for the rest.

Why? Because this 65 acres is among the most at risk of being sold to others (like the OEP lands being sold off to Andretti/TopGolf/Ripleys/Trammell Crow).

So this bankruptcy proceeding may open up an easier settlement negotiation for the lawsuit between Stan Thomas and Universal.

Once this 65 acres is gone, there aren't many large parcels that can be sold to outsiders other than that parcel near the convention center.

I really do not want to start a new thread, it probably needs one...anyway, they really are testing facial recognition with Express users.

I guess I did not think they were this far along, I mean VB has their system and Fallon has its one, I know folks dislike the turnstiles and all....not sure what I am saying nor what I think about it (maybe I should shuffle our keys around, have a little fun with their test data?)

Anyway, to me, it really looks like UNI is working on some system that would have magic band type functionality and it appears they are testing if facial recognition is an option.

I really do not want to start a new thread, it probably needs one...anyway, they really are testing facial recognition with Express users.

I guess I did not think they were this far along, I mean VB has their system and Fallon has its one, I know folks dislike the turnstiles and all....not sure what I am saying nor what I think about it (maybe I should shuffle our keys around, have a little fun with their test data?)

Anyway, to me, it really looks like UNI is working on some system that would have magic band type functionality and it appears they are testing if facial recognition is an option.

Funny enough, I brought that up thanks in part by a Theme Park University Article that went into detail to a lot of it, so if it's continuing; then that may be a good sign that they may not be wanting to slow down on having that become a reality.

Universal/Disney in why they pick the IPs they do and how they then design parks based off it. May be informative in what to expect for future parks and expansions

Funny enough, when I recorded my IAAPA episode with @Skubersky and Banks Lee from Attractions, the subject of that panel came up, as me and Seth have hoped for this panel to come up. Now, with it up; it's a blast to listen to Thierry and Rhode, along with Scott on the subject of IP's in theme parks.

Funny enough, when I recorded my IAAPA episode with @Skubersky and Banks Lee from Attractions, the subject of that panel came up, as me and Seth have hoped for this panel to come up. Now, with it up; it's a blast to listen to Thierry and Rhode, along with Scott on the subject of IP's in theme parks.

It was great in explaining why some Universal attractions are much weaker than others and the issues that came with why Gringotts may not be that great.

Funny enough, I brought that up thanks in part by a Theme Park University Article that went into detail to a lot of it, so if it's continuing; then that may be a good sign that they may not be wanting to slow down on having that become a reality.

I thought I read it somewhere...yes, I think you linked something for I recall them saying they were testing at employee entrances. I think I was just surprised to suddenly find myself in the test group so soon.

We have not done a lot of rides, but they have the test set up in Transformers and Spidey for sure, I do not recall Kong, but other rides did not have the gear....what I do not know is if they are trying to spot us at the front gate of anything like that...but my tickets really are not tied to my hotel key so I guess it is just tied to Express right now.

Over at VB, my tapau always calls me by my wife’s name, but my name was written on my pass....but that stuff is always messed up since she tends to do stuff then enters in my E-mail or something...

Anyway, neat stuff I guess...at least it seems that UNI does keep capacity in mind when they build attractions...I really do feel that most people I have run into the last few days are here for the first time...UNI really is growing their customer base rather quickly right now (or they have at least found a way to get folks to give them a try)...

L1SlJ0C.jpg

There's the plot of the 3 UCPM III parcels involved in the bankruptcy proceeding.

Those are the 3 most valuable plots remaining in UCPM III that Stan Thomas controls other than that one all the way in the southwest of the map next to OCCC. Most of the remaining UCPM III land is wetlands or canals/stormwater/OCCC substation/rights-of-way for roads/extensions. That's why this bankruptcy proceeding is extremely important to both Universal and Stan Thomas.

In the original trades proposed between Stan Thomas and Universal, Universal would have let him keep those 3 valuable plots in exchange for the remainder of the land (the wetlands/canals/stormwater/OCCC substation/rights-of-way for roads/extensions).

But if they go through bankruptcy, then all that's left in UCPM III is mostly unwanted land that is only of use to Universal. That should lead to an "easier" negotiation to get Universal the remainder of the land.

Those first and second parcels allow Universal to create 2 large hotel plots on Universal Blvd. of 60 acres (Parcel 2 + the 2 already owned purple plots north/south of it) and 50 acres (Parcel 1 + the purple plot to the east of it). You can easily imagine another 4,000+ hotel rooms on those 110 acres that would easily be able to deliver guests to both resorts (similar to WnW's future 2,800 rooms).

The 3rd parcel adds another 21 acres to the current 441 contiguous acres in the main resort plot for a total of 462 acres with much larger access to Destination Blvd.

That pretty much just leaves Stan Thomas with the 2 FQP properties (the baby blue colored lands) as his most valuable remaining holdings in the area, and those 2 FQP properties are surrounded by purple.

Last edited:
L1SlJ0C.jpg

There's the plot of the 3 UCPM III parcels involved in the bankruptcy proceeding.

Those are the 3 most valuable plots remaining in UCPM III that Stan Thomas controls other than that one all the way in the southwest of the map next to OCCC. Most of the remaining UCPM III land is wetlands or canals/stormwater/OCCC substation/rights-of-way for roads/extensions. That's why this bankruptcy proceeding is extremely important to both Universal and Stan Thomas.

In the original trades proposed between Stan Thomas and Universal, Universal would have let him keep those 3 valuable plots in exchange for the remainder of the land (the wetlands/canals/stormwater/OCCC substation/rights-of-way for roads/extensions).

But if they go through bankruptcy, then all that's left in UCPM III is mostly unwanted land that is only of use to Universal. That should lead to an "easier" negotiation to get Universal the remainder of the land.

Those first and second parcels allow Universal to create 2 large hotel plots on Universal Blvd. of 60 acres (Parcel 2 + the 2 already owned purple plots north/south of it) and 50 acres (Parcel 1 + the purple plot to the east of it). You can easily imagine another 4,000+ hotel rooms on those 110 acres that would easily be able to deliver guests to both resorts (similar to WnW's future 2,800 rooms).

The 3rd parcel adds another 21 acres to the current 441 contiguous acres in the main resort plot for a total of 462 acres with much larger access to Destination Blvd.

That pretty much just leaves Stan Thomas with the 2 FQP properties (the baby blue colored lands) as his most valuable remaining holdings in the area, and those 2 FQP properties are surrounded by purple.

Neat and thanks for keeping us updated on all this. I could not keep it straight without your maps as it is so fragmented. I think I know that Florida law does not allow "islands" to be created. They need to allow access so maybe Stan has some leverage with the baby blues. Interesting to see how this plays out. Thanks

Neat and thanks for keeping us updated on all this. I could not keep it straight without your maps as it is so fragmented. I think I know that Florida law does not allow "islands" to be created. They need to allow access so maybe Stan has some leverage with the baby blues. Interesting to see how this plays out. Thanks

Theres a North/South road through there. It goes through the middle of one of the blue ones. The other would be bordered by the Mandarin extension if that ends up happening.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Status
Not open for further replies.