Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2017 Holidays at Universal - New Wizarding World Holidays

Well after spending the past couple days filming and taking pics, we'll finally be posting our photos & videos over the course of the night and into tomorrow.

Quick thoughts -

Grinchmas is Grinchmas. Always enjoyable.
The Potter Decorations are great and made be smile walking into each Wizarding World. It felt like Christmas.
The Magic at Hogwarts is very well done, and one of the best Holiday night shows.
Celestina's Holiday songs are catchy and add a nice touch for the season.
The parade was great. Very well done, and has charm. Universal knocked it out the park.

I can now say Universal is finally doing the Holidays right.

Well after spending the past couple days filming and taking pics, we'll finally be posting our photos & videos over the course of the night and into tomorrow.

Quick thoughts -

Grinchmas is Grinchmas. Always enjoyable.
The Potter Decorations are great and made be smile walking into each Wizarding World. It felt like Christmas.
The Magic at Hogwarts is very well done, and one of the best Holiday night shows.
Celestina's Holiday songs are catchy and add a nice touch for the season.
The parade was great. Very well done, and has charm. Universal knocked it out the park.

I can now say Universal is finally doing the Holidays right.
Still plenty of room for them to grow their Holiday options next year too, imo. This is a great start though.

I certainly enjoyed the parade last night! I think the only thing that had me scratching my head was this one ballon seemed to appear twice ( a baby dragon or donkey...maybe donkey’s kids when he married dragon...I don’t recall the movie series all that well).

When we were heading out, the Sheirk float was parked with huge lines to meet Sheirk and Fiona (in their Mr and Mrs Clause outfits).

I guess there are more commercials coming or something as I kept seeing a production crew out filming all day (and night).

I guess Potter has grown on my after visiting the parks so often...it was somewhat breath taking seeing Hogsmead at night with all the Christmas lights up and all.

I saw a lot more characters out and about in the Studios as well (for instance, all of Scooby’s friends were out and about)...saw penguins and snowmen out before the parade.

My observation (really as a park goer, ever since Comcast took over, UNI is learning and adjusting quicker than ever. They do have missteps all the time, but they also seem to be paying attention and adjusting as they learn....

Oh, ran into @Disneyhead and one of his daughters, never enough time, but always happy to meet good people!

Oh well, I need to figure out how I want to play in the rain today....

I certainly enjoyed the parade last night! I think the only thing that had me scratching my head was this one ballon seemed to appear twice ( a baby dragon or donkey...maybe donkey’s kids when he married dragon...I don’t recall the movie series all that well).

When we were heading out, the Sheirk float was parked with huge lines to meet Sheirk and Fiona (in their Mr and Mrs Clause outfits).

I guess there are more commercials coming or something as I kept seeing a production crew out filming all day (and night).

I guess Potter has grown on my after visiting the parks so often...it was somewhat breath taking seeing Hogsmead at night with all the Christmas lights up and all.

I saw a lot more characters out and about in the Studios as well (for instance, all of Scooby’s friends were out and about)...saw penguins and snowmen out before the parade.

My observation (really as a park goer, ever since Comcast took over, UNI is learning and adjusting quicker than ever. They do have missteps all the time, but they also seem to be paying attention and adjusting as they learn....

Oh, ran into @Disneyhead and one of his daughters, never enough time, but always happy to meet good people!

While not really a "parade" guy, I thought the parade was a definite improvement over last years.

And it was great meeting @Frank Drackman and his daughter.

PS: No interactions with law enforcement.

Last edited:

There are two dronkeys (donkey-Dragon-babies,) the kids of Donkey and Dragon.

Good word of mouth should bring more people into the park. Too late for scheduling 2017 vacations but Central Florida locals and some of those staying at Disney are sure to drop in. First time I can remember that a new Universal event/show/attraction hasn't received any negative reactions. Seems like a big win :thumbsup:....And next year the new Studio's night show will be present and maybe some Rankin Bass Santa stuff too....I'm looking forward to my 2018 holiday trip. It will be the first time I'v ever left the northeast during the holidays, but it seems well worth a special trip.

Saw everything Saturday, in short, WOW

For me, Christmas at Universal has always been a "meh" thing

They put enough work and decorations into it (out of obligation perhaps) to pass off as "we're decorated for Christmas"

This event kicks it up a notch...Christmas now feels like it belongs in the Universal event line up

I feel they are only going to add more next year

Well done

What is the difference between a standard projector and a laser projector? Too, I would think if you want to know what projectors are used you could just ask.
The new Christies use a rack mount white laser for the light source instead of a standard bulb for brighter output & pure colors.
And yes, you’d think I’d be able to ask, wouldn’t you?

I would love to see a picture of the window that’s shot out of.

Just using my eyes, I would say that window has a piece of equipment that is also in that new tower.

Borgin and Burkes lit up. Quidditch decorated. Also, new $150 poncho.

View attachment 5790 View attachment 5791 View attachment 5792

My daughter got a robe out of me on a cold rainy day...I expected a lot of rain today, but (so far) I do not think it has been that bad...but I saw folks in these ponchos...wow...

The new Christies use a rack mount white laser for the light source instead of a standard bulb for brighter output & pure colors.
And yes, you’d think I’d be able to ask, wouldn’t you?

Rack mount sounds correct, I know nothing about this stuff, but the tower think has what I woul call a rack running up it. The one window in the building area and one window of the tower (I think) has the generic looking white arm holding a black dome (looks a lot like those domes that cover security cameras)...at least to my naked eyes, I think that is what I saw...maybe I just saw the security cameras;-)

Here's a video I made for Best of Orlando with Lora Sauls, the show director, talking about the Holiday Parade mixed with lots of parade footage. It's a nice summary of the parade with some behind the scenes details. (And she does address the Dronkeys!)