Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 399 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am happy to see Universal Creative's response to D23 is with the entirety of UOR (including it's third/fourth gate) going ALL IN on Nintendo, as it's fascinating to see that.
And just think, Disney is likely to have another big D23 in 2019, as they left a lot on the table still. What will Uni drop then? Oh, I don't know... A Third dry park??? This could get interesting fast.

I’m going to throw a wrench and say don’t build a “choose your starter” experience.

Should Pokémon happen, I'll bet all the money in the world that this happens. Look at how crazy successful the Banshees are at Pandora. Replace Banshees with Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander, and people will be banging down your door.

Should Pokémon happen, I'll bet all the money in the world that this happens. Look at how crazy successful the Banshees are at Pandora. Replace Banshees with Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander, and people will be banging down your door.
The banshees meet Ollivanders, with Pokémon = Universal becoming the most profitable theme park on the planet.

Reactions: Grits0808
Here's an overview of the phase 1 area. Notice the relative size of Simpsons/Springfield to this new land. You could even fit several ET show buildings in here.

Nintendo_USF_AreaMap2-cleanb.jpg

Mario Kart will likely be directly behind Simpsons ride, top-left quadrant of the area. Super Mario Land area will be on bottom-left with the Yoshi ride, Peach's castle, quick service, gift shops and more. And Donkey Kong will be on the right, with much of it on top-right with a ride entrance courtyard and (hopefully) play area on bottom-right.

Entrance to the new land will be on bottom-left where the the current entrance courtyard to KidZone is now. Entrance will be through a warp pipe, similar to Diagon Alley's entrance concept. Exits for the land will be on bottom side facing Spongebob Storepants and ET Adventure's current entrance, with a guest path outside the land funneling back towards the main path and land's entrance.

Of course that's just what I've heard and things change. But yesterday's news seems to confirm a few things for me. Later I will draw up more detailed plans, but for now, we can marvel at just how massive the little KidZone actually is.

And just think, Disney is likely to have another big D23 in 2019, as they left a lot on the table still. What will Uni drop then? Oh, I don't know... A Third dry park??? This could get interesting fast.
Good point. I'm hearing this new park is going to be MK level heavy in attractions (around two dozen), so they can just keep adding to that roster...................Alicia: What's housed in that building adjacent to Wood's coaster? Is it something non essential that could be relocated to another area? It seems that piecemeals the area a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashhanbre
I like Alicia's idea for Pokémon snuggling in between Toon and Marvel. Universal have done fantastic jobs of snuggling fully immersive areas in a fraction of an island. Hogsmeade only took up half of Lost Continent and an expansion plot, after all.

The Toon Lagoon Amphitheater, Comic Strip Café, and the backstage green room/parking lot take up a little over 2 acres. For comparison, Springfield in the studios is about 2.5 acres. I can see a Pokémon Isle being closer in design to that than anything else: a strong family ride (maybe not even an E-ticket), a flat ride, and a multilevel Poke-Mart/Research Center that accomplishes much of what the Discovery Center in JP does. MAYBE a small battle show, but I don't it would be a huge part of it. I think the primary focus "story-wise" would be research.

With the rumored plans for SLoP and SNW, there's coming precedent for Universal to build up. A three or four story Poke-Mart provides a new, interesting weenie in the park and totally fits within the construct of the world. Devote two floors to retail, one to food, and one to interactive exhibits, and kids would spend HOURS in there.

EDIT - Wow... they're not even touching the back pad for this.

Reactions: Nick and Alicia
Universal does a really good job of opening brand new parks with enough for a full day, unlike Disney. I would say Shanghai is probably their best opening day park since... what... Epcot?

Universal does a really good job of opening brand new parks with enough for a full day, unlike Disney. I would say Shanghai is probably their best opening day park since... what... Epcot?

I'd argue Euro Disney back in the 90s.

Good point. I'm hearing this new park is going to be MK level heavy in attractions (around two dozen), so they can just keep adding to that roster..
original.gif

I really want the Madagascar boat ride...
It's funny how they lost the park rights for Madagascar to Busch Gardens in recent years, only to get them back by buying the entire DreamWorks Animation company. Yes, a ride like that would be nice. (But maybe add in some better AA movements for the static characters.)

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Yes, internally there are murmurs that they want the new park to be on the level of Magic Kingdom. Family friendly, not screen reliant, and LOTS OF ROOM FOR STROLLER PARKING OH NO! I'm excited because this will likely mean more slow moving dark rides and inside boat rides yay yay!
:thumbsup: Yes, thumbs up.:)...except for stroller parking. :(................Universal will finally have the space, and money, to do it the right way. Thank you Comcast.........Legacy & Alicia: How about a Madagascar themed pool & slides in a new Dreamworks resort on the new property?

Reactions: UK-Trigg
:thumbsup: Yes, thumbs up.:)...except for stroller parking. :(................Universal will finally have the space, and money, to do it the right way. Thank you Comcast.........Legacy & Alicia: How about a Madagascar themed pool & slides in a new Dreamworks resort on the new property?
I don't wanna take up too much of the Nintendo thread with this, we can move to the 4th park blue sky thread. I think Universal would be wise to incorporate all DreamWorks characters into a new resort though. I would love to move it move it in a dance party each night by the pool with King Julien of course!

And chip just released a permit map...

View attachment 5805

Hehe, seems to line up with what I posted above quite well actually.

EDIT: If you look at bottom left and the little connection between left section and right-top, you'll see warp pipes. One for main entrance and one from Mushroom Kingdom to Donkey Kong Country.

Something to note about that image: The walkway to ET has been shortened and almost non-existent, making it hard for guests to find it. Only way I see ET stay is if they build a new entrance at the Gardens of Allah OR ET is being used as a reserve for capacity reasons so that it may close after Nintendo opens.

Did you read the rest?

Something to note about that image: The walkway to ET has been shortened and almost non-existent, making it hard for guests to find it. Only way I see ET stay is if they build a new entrance at the Gardens of Allah OR ET is being used as a reserve for capacity reasons so that it may close after Nintendo opens.
The walkway to ET is bigger than it looks... plus Nintendo land will be dumping guests right in front of the attraction's entrance so might even get a boost... However, I think it would be wise to re-route the entrance to Hollywood for easier access and better land cohesion for sure.

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Maybe they'll do the ET entrance through Garden's of Allah, as has been suggested by some in the past. That would leave the Nintendo area entrance/exit area less congested.