So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With the permit stuff from yesterday, this topic is relevant again. Since the permit had a start date of July 2017, something delayed the start of it (It expires in July of 2018). So that implies that closure would happen sometime before then. The Christmas event's last day is January 6th.

Based on what happened to Amity/Jaws, which closed on Jan 2, 2012--the day after the Christmas events that year. My guess is Jan 7th, and I don't think the news about Jaws closing came until Dec 8th or 9th or so that year (2011), so that's the only real basis for the Jan 7th speculation.

With the permit stuff from yesterday, this topic is relevant again. Since the permit had a start date of July 2017, something delayed the start of it (It expires in July of 2018). So that implies that closure would happen sometime before then. The Christmas event's last day is January 6th. Based on what happened to Amity/Jaws, the guess is Jan 7th, and I don't think the news about Jaws closing came until Dec 8th or 9th or so that year (2011), so that's the only real basis for the Jan 7th speculation.
In looking through the permits it looks like they were denied for drainage permits multiple times over the course of a few months... just one more reason to add to the delay speculation. But they're all approved now, so that's good news.

Reactions: Joel
I could be misremembering, but my understanding is the "Start" date is when they initiate the permit, not when they were planning on starting the work

They have to start by the end of the window or resubmit the plans.

I’m actually a bit bummed they’re moving forward with spreading out Nintendo in each park instead of giving it its own park.

IMO Nintendo properties don’t fit in USF. They would work fine in IOA, but it’s the final nail in the whole “Ride the Movies” aesthetic of USF. Sure you can argue USF has Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, Barney, Etc., but television shows and behind the scenes production experiences/museums were always a part of USF - Nickelodeon, Murder She Wrote, Lucy.

Honestly wish they would update Kids Zone to be all Bikini Bottoms and Spongebob. That franchise will never die.

Last edited:
I’m actually a bit bummed they’re moving forward with spreading out Nitendo in each park instead of giving it its own park.

IMO Nitendo properties don’t fit in USF. They would work fine in IOA, but it’s the final nail in the whole “Ride the Movies” aesthic of USF. Sure you can argue USF has Simpsons, Jimmy Fallon, Barney, Etc., but television shows and behind the scenes production experiences/museums were always a part of USF - Nickelodeon, Murder She Wrote, Lucy.

Honestly wish they would update Kids Zone to be all Bikini Bottoms and SpongBob. That franchise will never die.

I would think for USF and IOA, both have now ditched the "ride the movie" aspect of USF and then the Literature aspect of IOA with Kong at IOA and as you said, Fallon; Simpsons; and even SpongeBob.

Nintendo? You have countless IP's that with fine tuning, can easily be translated to multiple lands across the entire resort. It's the next Potter, and that Universal would be dumb to not have Nintendo fleshed out the Potter way as opposed to restricting it to just one park. And that I am open to it with fully acknowledging what Universal Studios Florida and IOA's original purposes is dead.

__

That said, I am going to guess that they could close Curious George and Barney first in Janruary, and keep Animal Actors, Fivel, and Woody Woodpecker until after Mardi Gras.

Nintendo park by itself would just be a niche park. It would probably have a low attendance ceiling. Major theme parks need diversity in IP's and themes to reach high attendance figures. The population is diverse and you need to reach out to, not all, but a number of those diverse segments to have a successful business model.

Nintendo park by itself would just be a niche park. It would probably have a low attendance ceiling. Major theme parks need diversity in IP's and themes to reach high attendance figures. The population is diverse and you need to reach out to, not all, but a number of those diverse segments to have a successful business model.

And I think that's most important in what you said a few day's back. What it sounds like to me, is that UC and Universal/Comcast want's to have diversity at the start for the southern property, bringing content that can range to various individuals. And that if you make it entirely one aspect you will alienate individuals and that will cause lower attendance scores than what should be expected.

In just this past season (the four season's I mean); we have gotten litttle tidbits here on the forums that indicate that Universal Creative wants to make not only the southern property diversifiable, but also improving on the current park's with elements that will welcome all parties involved, and not just one mindset. That I think is something people need to consider as we go forward in talking of what's next for Universal Orlando Resort.

And that Kidzone has been on the chopping block for a long time. Patience will always have to be taken heavily into form, and that it's something that has been very much something important in the KZ project in general.

I would think for USF and IOA, both have now ditched the "ride the movie" aspect of USF and then the Literature aspect of IOA with Kong at IOA and as you said, Fallon; Simpsons; and even SpongeBob.

Nintendo? You have countless IP's that with fine tuning, can easily be translated to multiple lands across the entire resort. It's the next Potter, and that Universal would be dumb to not have Nintendo fleshed out the Potter way as opposed to restricting it to just one park. And that I am open to it with fully acknowledging what Universal Studios Florida and IOA's original purposes is dead.

__

That said, I am going to guess that they could close Curious George and Barney first in Janruary, and keep Animal Actors, Fivel, and Woody Woodpecker until after Mardi Gras.

Kong at IOA was a giant misstep. It was short sighted of Universal to add Skull Island on the heels of Jurassic World’s release.

And I’m still opposed to spreading out Nintendo. I care more about aesthetics than IP diversity - keeping the “theme” in theme park. It makes more sense to hop from Super Mario Land to Hyrule to Donkey Kong Island to Pokemon’s Kanto/Johto/etc. within the same gate.

The only reason HP pulled it off was because of Hogwarts Express. Still, IMO, HP isn’t worth the attractions we’ve lost. Talk about lack of diversity, we’ve lost several attractions for one IP. I’ll be disappointed to see Nintendo go the same route.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Kong at IOA was a giant misstep. It was short sighted of Universal to add Skull Island on the heels of Jurassic World’s release.

And I’m still opposed to spreading out Nintendo. I care more about aesthetics than IP diversity - keeping the “theme” in theme park. It makes more sense to hop from Super Mario Land to Hyrule to Donkey Kong Island to Pokemon’s Kanto/Johto/etc. within the same gate.

The only reason HP pulled it off was because of Hogwarts Express. Still, IMO, HP isn’t worth the attractions we’ve lost. Talk about lack of diversity, we’ve lost several attractions for one IP. I’ll be disappointed to see Nintendo go the same route.

Lost? It was a net gain of 2. ( HE and FJ didn't replace anything).

FYI Literature was NEVER the theme of IOA, that's a urban legend, it was (and still is) Adventure.