Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 400 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they announced Shrek 4D closing before this.

EDIT: (People may wait to visit until Nintendo opens, like the Potter effect.)
Which is always the problem, but this news seems to be big enough for them to acknowledge something. This isn’t rumors anymore, it’s actual permits. So we shall see.

They haven’t deleted my Facebook group post on it yet. That’s a record.

Reactions: Alicia
I’m guessing that ET will stay open through construction and year one of the new land... and then I could see Storepants being returned to Pokémon, ET torn down for a new Pokémon flat ride, and a Zelda attraction built towards the back. Possibly even taking a chunk of Garden of Allah out with it?

That would be acceptable to me. I’d say Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Pokémon are “top three” most recognizable brands for Nintendo... while everyone might want a big land for Pokémon and LoZ, I’d have a hard time seeing them flesh those out (without getting too same-y). Pokémon might hem a little too close to Suess Landing as a full-blown land, and I can’t imagine what tie-ins a Hyrule would have with theming and food options to keep it distinct from Potter (or LotR, if that’s on the table).

Personally, as much as a whole Nintendo park would be possible, I think Universal has much bigger fish to fry, and I don’t want to see them spread Nintendo over to IOA or the new third park. Keep it contained in the KidZone area, and keep MiB and the expansion area next door for something else, to keep diversity in the park (fingers crossed for classic Universal monsters!).

I think we'll get announcements on closures, like with T2, without announcements of replacements.

Nintendo may or may not force their hand, which would be the only reason we'd get a Nintendo annoucnement

Reactions: Mike S
I’m guessing that ET will stay open through construction and year one of the new land... and then I could see Storepants being returned to Pokémon, ET torn down for a new Pokémon flat ride, and a Zelda attraction built towards the back. Possibly even taking a chunk of Garden of Allah out with it?

That would be acceptable to me. I’d say Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Pokémon are “top three” most recognizable brands for Nintendo... while everyone might want a big land for Pokémon and LoZ, I’d have a hard time seeing them flesh those out (without getting too same-y). Pokémon might hem a little too close to Suess Landing as a full-blown land, and I can’t imagine what tie-ins a Hyrule would have with theming and food options to keep it distinct from Potter (or LotR, if that’s on the table).

Personally, as much as a whole Nintendo park would be possible, I think Universal has much bigger fish to fry, and I don’t want to see them spread Nintendo over to IOA or the new third park. Keep it contained in the KidZone area, and keep MiB and the expansion area next door for something else, to keep diversity in the park (fingers crossed for classic Universal monsters!).
Pokemon and Zelda will likely be built in different parks. The concept has worked well for spreading out Potter and I'm sure they want to capture lightning in a bottle again. ET will likely remain forever (or until the unfortunate passing of the great Spielberg I'm afraid.)

Sounds like it will 100% be going to Park 3 and IoA. I don't really see the similarities between Potter and Hyrule in the slightest, and think they could definitely coexist in the same park. I also don't really see the similarities between Pokémon and Seuss

Reactions: captainmoch
I don't really see the similarities between Potter and Hyrule in the slightest, and think they could definitely coexist in the same park. I also don't really see the similarities between Pokémon and Seuss

I can’t see a colorful Pokemon Land co-existing with Suess in IOA. Not do I see Hogsmede and Hyrule fitting in the same park with each-other (unless this is a retheme for Lost Continent with a “Water Temple” overlay for Poseidon).

3rd Park is a toss-up, but if they want to secure the rights for LotR (or do Berk), I’d imagine Zelda would be too close thematically. Perhaps they would go with Pokémon in that case? But IOA getting a Nintendo franchise seems like a huge long-shot.

Both franchises don’t seem like shoe-ins to me. They don’t have themed food (potions, sure... but other than “Rare Candies” I can’t think of any specific food from either universes). They don’t have a “wand” mechanism that could be worked into the land, like Potter. I can’t see either offering a stage show or streetmosphere. Build it at USF replacing ET, give each one ride concept and a shop, and call it a day.

Last edited:
I can’t see a colorful Pokemon Land co-existing with Suess in IOA. Not do I see Hogsmede and Hyrule fitting in the same park with each-other (unless this is a retheme for Lost Continent with a “Water Temple” overlay for Poseidon).

3rd Park is a toss-up, but if they want to secure the rights for LotR (or do Berk), I’d imagine Zelda would be too close thematically. Perhaps they would go with Pokémon in that case? But IOA getting a Nintendo franchise seems like a huge long-shot.

Both franchises don’t seem like shoe-ins to me. They don’t have themes food (potions, sure... but other than “Rare Candies” I can’t think of any specific food from either universes). Build it at USF, give each one ride concept and a shop, and call it a day.

Here is the thing, when you talk on forums, it may be one thing. When it's picked up as an full article, with proof now seen; that's another.

But Toon Lagoon and Marvel are colorful themed lands that have coexisted with Seuss since Day 1?

I also just don't see the connection between Hogsmeade and Hyrule. The two just aren't similar. If they built Castle Town, maybe. But the geography of Hyrule is so varied, they can do whatever they want.

3rd Park is a toss-up, but if they want to secure the rights for LotR (or do Berk), I’d imagine Zelda would be too close thematically.

This would be a bit more of an issue, yea.

Both franchises don’t seem like shoe-ins to me. They don’t have themed food (potions, sure... but other than “Rare Candies” I can’t think of any specific food from either universes). They don’t have a “wand” mechanism that could be worked into the land, like Potter. I can’t see either offering a stage show or streetmosphere. Build it at USF replacing ET, give each one ride concept and a shop, and call it a day.

Oh man, I can't disagree more. While the two may not have much in the way of food, neither does Mario, and they would make up for that in Merch sales.

Pokémon could easily have streetmosphere Pokemone meet and greets like the Raptor Encounter. Zelda could feature some of the many musical acts in the games.

I don't think every land needs a "wand" type thing, and I'm not expecting SNW to have one. The space will be interactive, but it won't be behind the purchase of a wand-like mechanism.

Reactions: captainmoch
But Toon Lagoon and Marvel are colorful themed lands that have coexisted with Seuss since Day 1?

I also just don't see the connection between Hogsmeade and Hyrule. The two just aren't similar. If they built Castle Town, maybe. But the geography of Hyrule is so varied, they can do whatever they want.

This would be a bit more of an issue, yea.

Oh man, I can't disagree more. While the two may not have much in the way of food, neither does Mario, and they would make up for that in Merch sales.

Pokémon could easily have streetmosphere Pokemone meet and greets like the Raptor Encounter. Zelda could feature some of the many musical acts in the games.

I don't think every land needs a "wand" type thing, and I'm not expecting SNW to have one. The space will be interactive, but it won't be behind the purchase of a wand-like mechanism.
Hey Pokemon has the little Donut things....And Giant chocolate coins are a no brainer

tumblr_m1t4k3xYeC1r6xu90o1_500.gif

I think we need to pump the breaks here. The poster of these has said these are actually from May. The dates on them show a July 2017 date for the construction window opening. These plans are not new this week. What is new this week is them taking the construction walls down that were put up at ET around the time these permits would have been submitted. If you couple that with a few posters saying things have been delayed, and that changes are being made, these plans might already be out the window. It's great info, and this is the stuff I really get into, but that wall coming down is a real big clue that something has changed. May not mean a major change in regards to what the plans show, but there has to be a reason.

That being said, they also might start tearing Kidzone down tomorrow, but I really wouldn't expect any announcements for a while. We may not get a Nintendo announcement before the end of the decade.

Reactions: Andysol and TDBLMT
Marvel and Suess are colorful but visually distinct. Toon Lagoon is also colorful, but it’s probably the weakest land out of the original park, with a jarring transition into the other areas. That’s just my take on it, of course.

Not every IP requires a "wand" mechanic or unique food opportunities, in-world. Mario Kingdom doesn't have that. The closest you'll get are various mushroom cakes and a big plate of spaghetti which... yum. To be honest, Pokémon has more merchandising opportunities than any other Nintendo IP. And regarding food, they'd be wise to basically pull in some inspired Japanese dishes that aren't featured in any American theme park. Hyrule has Lon Lon Milk, Goron Rock Cakes, Zora Fish Patties, etc.

Islands already has two "colorful, whimsical" lands in Toon Lagoon and Seuss. Seuss is extremely abstract. Toon Lagoon is surreal. Pokémon would likely be more urban. If it conflicts with anything, it would likely be Marvel, but a forest berm between the two can help differentiate them.

There have been a lot "their so thematically similar" discussion popping around (including the in HHN), but that's not a bad thing. We have presently have two cartoon worlds, two medieval/mythical islands, and a jungle island with neighboring jungle sub-island in Islands. The entirety of Studios is basically cityscapes. There can be enough uniqueness between each area, through color selection and architecture, that they aren't all the same.

Hey Pokemon has the little Donut things....And Giant chocolate coins are a no brainer

tumblr_m1t4k3xYeC1r6xu90o1_500.gif

Those are onigiri, not donuts

Onigiri - Wikipedia

Marvel and Suess are colorful but visually distinct. Toon Lagoon is also colorful, but it’s probably the weakest land out of the original park, with a jarring transition into the other areas. That’s just my take on it, of course.

I just don't see how Pokémon isn't visually distinct from Seuss

but that wall coming down is a real big clue that something has changed.

I think people read way too far into that.

I just don't see how Pokémon isn't visually distinct from Seuss

It's totally distinct from Suess, anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't watched the show. My biggest concern is that the Pokemon world is not visually interesting. It's a completely half-hearted generic anime world that's been seen thousands of times by now. The Pokemon are what make it unique, everything else, the human characters, the settings, the plot is all fairly generic.