Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

1st time at Disneyland

I’d highly recommend MaxPass if it’s a small group going.

I can’t think of any real tips, it’s not really any different to any other Disney resort but I’m sure you’ll have a blast!

Prepare for it to be absolutely mobbed. It can often take up to 45-60 minutes or more (usually more) just to get from your car, through security, and through the main gate. Add that in to your schedule.

Research as much as you can, especially if there are any particular places to eat. If you can make a reservation, do so as soon as possible.

Get as much done in the morning hours as you can. Once 10:30 or 11am arrives, so do the crowds... and they never really leave after that.

Disneyland is a great park, but it wasn't built for the current crowd levels it's experiencing. Many walkways are very narrow, and are often jam packed with people, strollers, and wagons. Bring a lot of patience.

Get your Maxpass for major attractions as early as possible... they can "sell out".

Aside from that, there's a lot of websites out there to give you tips.

Prepare for it to be absolutely mobbed. It can often take up to 45-60 minutes or more (usually more) just to get from your car, through security, and through the main gate. Add that in to your schedule.

Research as much as you can, especially if there are any particular places to eat. If you can make a reservation, do so as soon as possible.

Get as much done in the morning hours as you can. Once 10:30 or 11am arrives, so do the crowds... and they never really leave after that.

Disneyland is a great park, but it wasn't built for the current crowd levels it's experiencing. Many walkways are very narrow, and are often jam packed with people, strollers, and wagons. Bring a lot of patience.

Get your Maxpass for major attractions as early as possible... they can "sell out".

Aside from that, there's a lot of websites out there to give you tips.

I second everything here in regards to crowds. I’m a WDW frequenter and i did my first DLR visit this past March. The weekdays were great, but Friday night at the end of the week was extremely crowded. The walk from Main Street back to Tomorrowland that evening felt like waiting in a slow moving, disorganized line. The more patience you pack and the more you are able to go with the flow, the happier you’ll be.

If they have fireworks on the night you are going, try to be where you want to be well before they start. My friends and I got stuck in Fantasyland while the fire Marshall cleared all of the rides and were accidentally routed into a long line for Peter Pan. If you don’t plan on watching the fireworks, I’d recommend heading to Indy or New Orleans Square around the time they’re taking place.

The other major headache I felt was the way in and out of Tomorrowland. The old people mover track sits right in the middle of the entry path and is used to create two “lanes” of foot traffic (one in and one out).

That being said, be ready to really enjoy the quaintness of the original Disneyland. When crowds aren’t an issue, getting around the park is so much quicker and simpler due to the small acreage and multitude of shortcuts and cutthroughs. While some of the rides are the same or similar as those in MK, they still have their own charm and style.

And then there’s Indy. The only thing I dont like about it is that it’s so far from where I live. I know you said you’ve ridden the Japanese version, but the Cali ride has FIRE! Enough said haha.

That said, here’s hoping you have a fun and safe trip!

After seeing a super cheap round trip flight, I will be going to Disneyland for the first weekend in March. Those that have gone...any tips, must dos? I’m excited to ride Indiana Jones in English versus Japanese.

Bread bowls in Pacific Warf. Martini at bar in Carthay Circle (if you go for the full meal make sure to get the duck wings!). Go to Trader Sam's, different than at WDW, way better food and get a Shipwreck. Check out Touring Plan's series on DLR tips for WDW veterans.

Made a lunch reservation at Blue Bayou and a world of color package lunch at Carthay Circle. Excited to experience it! It’s so odd that most Disneyland places don’t require reservations. I miss that.

Excellent choices. The world of color packages are pretty good value considering and they do give you a great view front and centre. My only tip would be not to get too close to the front if it's windy as you will get soaked.

The only bad thing I could say about my experience with the World of Color package is that it was the most rushed meal I have ever had. We had a 3 course meal in 25mins at Wine Country Trattoria. That was late dinner though and I think they were trying to make sure everybody was out well in time before the show started. I'm sure lunch should be a much better experience and I think all the reviews for Carthay Circle are better too.

You're going to have a blast!

I'm also interested to hear what you think about Mission Breakout before and after you ride.

Made a lunch reservation at Blue Bayou and a world of color package lunch at Carthay Circle. Excited to experience it! It’s so odd that most Disneyland places don’t require reservations. I miss that.

We did the WoC dessert party. It was nice because you had seats for the show rather than having to stand.

Bought my three day ticket with MaxPass before the price increase. Will be there in 2 weeks. It comes with Magic Morning. Any tips for which rides to hit first? I don’t really care about Peter Pan (Japan, Orlando, and Paris was enough).

Bought my three day ticket with MaxPass before the price increase. Will be there in 2 weeks. It comes with Magic Morning. Any tips for which rides to hit first? I don’t really care about Peter Pan (Japan, Orlando, and Paris was enough).

Their version of Peter Pan is great though. :lol: It's definitely the first ride you should hit as it has the.. slowest.. capacity of life. Magic mornings are great to knock out all the Fantasyland rides as they're so quick, you never want to wait more than a few minutes for them.

I usually hit Peter, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland all back-to-back. Then I move on to Tomorrowland and start playing the FastPass game with Space Mountain, which will be different now that it's with MaxPass as you don't actually have to visit the attraction to grab them, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, etc.

Keep in mind that these are the only FastPass/MaxPass attractions so it's not like WDW where it's... EVERYTHING.
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Indiana Jones Adventure
  • Matterhorn
  • Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Star Tours

Goal #1. get your FP for RSR. Those are often gone very early in the day.