Star Wars: The Last Jedi | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Giant eyeroll at some of these reviews. The movie was great. Had some faults sure, but literally every Star Wars movie does. How any of you can come away so disappointed when this is easily in the top half of all 9 Star Wars movies is laughable.

Also, giving Rian Johnson too much credit. The story is the story. I wonder how some of you would have reacted to the "choices" made in the original trilogy if George Lucas didn't direct them all.

What are you talking about? Rian should get all the blame. He wrote and directed the story. Disney gave him full support. A new trilogy announced is enough proof of that. I have loved every film made until this movie. Also, George Lucas didn't direct the entire original trilogy. You come off as a casual fan.

What are you talking about? Rian should get all the blame. He wrote and directed the story. Disney gave him full support. A new trilogy announced is enough proof of that. I have loved every film made until this movie. Also, George Lucas didn't direct the entire original trilogy. You come off as a casual fan.

Totally a casual fan here and I'm finding people towards the middle are enjoying this one more than the diehards who seemingly had a different idea in their heads of what this film should have been (an Empire Strikes Back retread the way Force Awakens was to A New Hope?).

And wow. You're right. I never realized George Lucas didn't direct Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi! Lmao! In looking at those respective filmmakers filmographies, I think the fact that they never directed anything else of note actually proves the point further that when it comes to Star Wars, the directors are working towards a vision set forth by the brand and don't have the freedom when it comes to story and tone that you think. (See: firing of Phil Lord & Chris Miller from 'Solo')

Reactions: jtsalien

I strongly advise you not to question the wisdom or knowledge of other fans while claiming to enjoy the prequels. That won't end well for you :lol:

I see your point on giving RJ too much credit, same as JJ got too much blame over time for TFA. Star Wars is and will be a machine. But wasn't that a damn beautiful film, shot wise? I think you could definitely see his touch on the narrative and shooting of the film, more so than usual with these type of tentpoles.
His touch was definitely scene in just about all saber battles. He went for a wide shot A LOT, which made the fights seem more epic.

I actually didn't mind Finn and Rose's side story when watching today and I just really loved Benicio Del Toro as DJ. The two major things I still have an issue with after today is when Leia goes full Superman and Snoke dies (although I understood it more when I listened to his dialogue as it was happening - it's still odd with how powerful he was though).

You come off as a casual fan.
A casual fan - The horror.

The vast majority of people are casual fans and without them, Star Wars wouldn't be as successful as it is. Not everybody is a Star Wars superfan. Get off your high horse and learn to accept change.

I read a review earlier that perfectly sums up this film. "A beautifully made film about essentially nothing." Couldn't of said it any better. This will be my last post on this topic and I made my point.

Reactions: ReelJustice
I have mixed feelings about the movie like everyone else because I grew up on the OT. But I thought really hard about it and realized I think I'm disappointed because I always had this idea in my head how SW should continue. I haven't really read too many reviews but I think its a pretty good movie for anyone new to the series. Maybe that's just what Disney wanted from the beginning. Who knows. I may actually wind up loving this movie because its just so unconventional to me. And I love unconventional moves.

I see your point on giving RJ too much credit, same as JJ got too much blame over time for TFA. Star Wars is and will be a machine. But wasn't that a damn beautiful film, shot wise? I think you could definitely see his touch on the narrative and shooting of the film, more so than usual with these type of tentpoles.

I loved the look of this film. It felt way more alive than TFA. JJ's world seemed more like unfinished sets to me. (I think he was too afraid of too much CGI). Anyway my dream SW film would be Story by George, Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan, Directed by Rian Johnson.

His touch was definitely scene in just about all saber battles. He went for a wide shot A LOT, which made the fights seem more epic.

I actually didn't mind Finn and Rose's side story when watching today and I just really loved Benicio Del Toro as DJ. The two major things I still have an issue with after today is when Leia goes full Superman and Snoke dies (although I understood it more when I listened to his dialogue as it was happening - it's still odd with how powerful he was though).

Pretty fair takes after a second viewing.

I think that's what's so frustrating to me. A lot of reviewers seem so caught up because the story didn't go where they wanted, or where they expected...that we're not sitting here talking about how it's some of the best action we've ever seen in a SW film.

I hated the Leia scene very much at the time, but her performance was so good it's just not sticking with me as something truly damaging to the film. I've been trying to figure out why I don't care about Snoke being short changed at the moment. I think it's because I just find pure evil boring? Idk. Maybe blame Breaking Bad and the rise of the tragic hero/villain these days. But I found the idea of Snoke to be a snooze, and Kylo interesting because Kylo actually has internal conflict. Snoke was useful as a plot device, but I don't think his backstory would've been all that rewarding. To me, anyway.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT

A casual fan, how insanely condescending.

Rian Johnson did not write this story in a vaccuum, he's just the one who got all the credit. Trust me in the fact that the story itself had so many damn hands all over it and it got approved. This is where they want Star Wars to go whether or not you like it. Pointing the blame straight at Rian is ridiculous.

I’m just a casual fan. But I enjoyed the movie. I actually liked Force Awakens more though. I saw a tweet on Twitter that essentially makes fun of the fact that TFA played it too safe and was essentially A New Hope rehashed. And that Last Jedi had too much change and drifted away from what made Star War great. No one is satisfied.

I enjoyed it though. A lot of great battles. A little long, but it’s solid in my opinion. But like I said, I’m just a casual fan and have only just started watching Star Wars 2 years ago leading up to Force Awakens

Reactions: jtsalien and zg44
Regardless of opinions,

The purpose of a franchise film is to increase or sustain its audience each film. A highly polarizing film doesn't do that. This film is highly polarizing hints the arguments and disagreements about this film. While sometimes it good to change things up, you don't change things to the point where hardcore fans don't enjoy it because they are the ones way more invested in the series than the fickle causal fans.

While you can argue oh people hated it because it didn't turn out how they wanted. Well, as a customer if I'm paying for a product which a film is, if it doesn't work how I want it, i should be allowed to be upset? Disney isn't making this films for artistic purposes, its pure financially beneficial to the company.

This is going to be a key point of contention upon release of the next film. If this was a standalone, it would've been fine but unfortunately it is not and if Disney does not get those fans who didn't not enjoy this film on board for the next film, those who invested the most in these series will go down which is a huge revenue loss in the long run.

Reactions: youhow2
Regardless of opinions,

The purpose of a franchise film is to increase or sustain its audience each film. A highly polarizing film doesn't do that. This film is highly polarizing hints the arguments and disagreements about this film. While sometimes it good to change things up, you don't change things to the point where hardcore fans don't enjoy it because they are the ones way more invested in the series than the fickle causal fans.

While you can argue oh people hated it because it didn't turn out how they wanted. Well, as a customer if I'm paying for a product which a film is, if it doesn't work how I want it, i should be allowed to be upset? Disney isn't making this films for artistic purposes, its pure financially beneficial to the company.

This is going to be a key point of contention upon release of the next film. If this was a standalone, it would've been fine but unfortunately it is not and if Disney does not get those fans who didn't not enjoy this film on board for the next film, those who invested the most in these series will go down which is a huge revenue loss in the long run.
Or it shows that Disney is willing to take risks. Whether or not if this film rattles the fan base and puts the success of Episode 9 at risk, LucasFilm & Disney obviously didn't care and I think that is admirable when dealing with such an iconic franchise.

It's not easy for longtime fans to accept change, but LucasFilm made a bold statement with this film that they aren't afraid to do exactly what fans asked them to do: Be creative. Fans bitched and moaned that TFA was a virtual remake of ANH and worried that TLJ would be too similar to ESB. Well, it's not and yet fans still bitch.

Are there problems, absolutely. Is it a fun change of pace for the franchise that helps flesh out the universe and add new elements? You bet.

Or it shows that Disney is willing to take risks. Weather or not if this film rattles the fan base and puts the success of Episode 9 at risk, LucasFilm & Disney obviously didn't care and I think that is admirable when dealing with such an iconic franchise.

It's not easy for longtime fans to accept change, but LucasFilm made a bold statement with this film that they aren't afraid to do exactly what fans asked them to do: Be creative. Fans bitched and moaned that TFA was a virtual remake of ANH and worried that TLJ would be too similar to ESB. Well, it's not and yet fans still bitch.

Are there problems, absolutely. Is it a fun change of pace for the franchise that helps flesh out the universe and add new elements? You bet.

Also, it's just patently untrue that any of the people whining right now won't see episode 9. And make no mistake about it, most of the outlandish comments are just whining. Not thoughtful, legitimate film critiques like the pacing of the 2nd act and questionable character development at times.

The prequels were far darker times for SW as a film franchise and it survived just fine.

Also, it's just patently untrue that any of the people whining right now won't see episode 9. And make no mistake about it, most of the outlandish comments are just whining. Not thoughtful, legitimate film critiques like the pacing of the 2nd act and questionable character development at times.

The prequels were far darker times for SW as a film franchise and it survived just fine.
Agreed.

I do worry though going forward that Disney is going to push the franchise a bit too far. The trilogies - even to this current one - have been spaced out by roughly 20 year increments. It's seeming like Disney is going to really squeeze as much money out of SW as possible and that takes away a lot of what made the franchise feel so special. I do hope that Disney will be cognizant enough to realize that taking a break can be a positive thing for the franchise.

To sum it up for me, after THE FORCE AWAKENS I was filled with so a much anticipation for the next movie. But after THE LAST JEDI, I'm really not that excited about seeing episode 9. I'll still probably go see it anyways, but I'm not like...dying to see it.

To sum it up for me, after THE FORCE AWAKENS I was filled with so a much anticipation for the next movie. But after THE LAST JEDI, I'm really not that excited about seeing episode 9. I'll still probably go see it anyways, but I'm not like...dying to see it.
Yeah, this is where it dropped the ball for sure. I've enjoyed the movie both times i've seen it, but i've also come away thinking, what exactly did I watch? The plot was so muddled and it just sort of ended on an odd note. Like I get what they were going for, but... eh. People may have said TFA was basically ANH rebooted, but the cliffhanger at the ended of the movie was talked about for two years leading up to TLJ. There's very little to be hyped up about after walking out of the theater from seeing TLJ and very few compelling questions to ponder over.

Reactions: Ashhanbre

I agree. I'm actually done, I will thank Disney for Rogue One and just end the saga on VI. There's nothing to see after that.