Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Official "Use of Screenz" Thread

So yeah, the tweet says you will encounter it on the Falcon. So it'll be a screen, and not an AA. So right thread after all. lol

I’d like to jump in and say that personally, I find screens far more immersive than any AA. Naturally, they’re better at conveying realistic motion. With AA’s no matter how impressive they look or how complex they are, they always fall into the uncanny valley.

With that being said, for an attraction to be fully immersive, screens need to be combined with physical sets. This is where I think Universal suffers. Screens are supposed to enhance the experience to the point where you can’t tell the difference between the set and the screen. Over-reliance on them result in the rider being very aware that they are watching a movie.

Unfortunately I’ve never been to Universal (hoping to go for my Senior Trip in 2019), so I can only rely on videos. The one 4D dark ride that I’ve been on was Curse of Darkastle (RIP) and it was far more immersive than any other dark ride I had been on in recent history. I’m extremely hyped for Universal.

I’d like to jump in and say that personally, I find screens far more immersive than any AA. Naturally, they’re better at conveying realistic motion. With AA’s no matter how impressive they look or how complex they are, they always fall into the uncanny valley.

With that being said, for an attraction to be fully immersive, screens need to be combined with physical sets. This is where I think Universal suffers. Screens are supposed to enhance the experience to the point where you can’t tell the difference between the set and the screen. Over-reliance on them result in the rider being very aware that they are watching a movie.

Unfortunately I’ve never been to Universal (hoping to go for my Senior Trip in 2019), so I can only rely on videos. The one 4D dark ride that I’ve been on was Curse of Darkastle (RIP) and it was far more immersive than any other dark ride I had been on in recent history. I’m extremely hyped for Universal.
Well, if you liked Dark Kastle, which I've rode on a number of occasions, you'll love quite a few of Universal's attractions. Dark Kastle is (was) good, but Universal's similar attractions are many multiples better.

Screens and screen-based rides are not a bad thing. Screens also are not going away, even in rides that are primarily physical (think how Navi River Journey incorporates them).

The “problem” is when almost every attraction is 3D or is screen-based in a park (*cough*USF*cough*). By all accounts this will be changing, so I have hope for the next wave of attractions at the park to balance things out.

Screens and screen-based rides are not a bad thing. Screens also are not going away, even in rides that are primarily physical (think how Navi River Journey incorporates them).

The “problem” is when almost every attraction is 3D or is screen-based in a park (*cough*USF*cough*). By all accounts this will be changing, so I have hope for the next wave of attractions at the park to balance things out.

I've resigned myself to any concept will have its supporters and detractors. We all have to form tastes based on that, and it might not line up with others or even the general public.

I think Uni should have looked at possibly theming Skull Island Reign of Kong tied to last years legendary & WB pictures film Kong: Skull Island starring Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson. The timing of releasing this attraction might have been a year too early since Kong: Skull Island was not due to release in theaters in 2017. But they decided to go with Kong from the 2005 Universal flick. To me personally this ride had a lot of hype and came up short in terms of expectations. I think if I were to guess that a 3rd/4th gate could hold room for such a themed future land with a mixture of a MonsterVerse even though Kong is here at Universal IOA maybe leave the 3rd or 4th gate to Godzilla what do you think? And leave a possible future attraction of the newer Kong which is much taller than the 2005 version standing 100 feet tall battling Godzilla in a 3rd/4th gate off the table. Since yes they will be squaring of in theaters come 2020 Godzilla vs King Kong. I would’ve added this to the Adventure section of a third/fourth Uni Gate.

Last edited:
I think Uni should have looked at possibly theming Skull Island Reign of Kong tied to last years legendary & WB pictures film Kong: Skull Island starring Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson.

I remember the original rumor of Kong IOA was actually more related to that, but that was before Kong: Skull Island left Universal for distribution and that changes seemed to of been made to the design of Kong following that.

I think Uni should have looked at possibly theming Skull Island Reign of Kong tied to last years legendary & WB pictures film Kong: Skull Island starring Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson. The timing of releasing this attraction might have been a year too early since Kong: Skull Island was not due to release in theaters in 2017. But they decided to go with Kong from the 2005 Universal flick. To me personally this ride had a lot of hype and came up short in terms of expectations. I think if I were to guess that a 3rd/4th gate could hold room for such a themed future land with a mixture of a MonsterVerse even though Kong is here at Universal IOA maybe leave the 3rd or 4th gate to Godzilla what do you think? And leave a possible future attraction of the newer Kong which is much taller than the 2005 version standing 100 feet tall battling Godzilla in a 3rd/4th gate off the table. Since yes they will be squaring of in theaters come 2020 Godzilla vs King Kong. I would’ve added this to the Adventure section of a third/fourth Uni Gate.
There is a Kong: Skull Island tread for that and it's all explained in there.

I don’t understand are you talking about in the ride Skull Island-Reign Of Kong it is explained in the attraction about the latest Kong flick Kong: Skull Island I’m confused. Plus I think my post in this topic is not really related to use of screens thread so I am asking nicely that my topic be moved to another thread that’s more related to building a Kong: Skull Island future attraction with Godzilla featured in it from their latest film by WB. Where should my post go?

Last edited:
Here's a piece from Robert Niles that is full of truly bizarre hot takes (to him, Hollywood's version of F&F is "one of the best things Universal's ever produced in its parks," Jaws and Kongfrontation didn't have devoted followings, and Skull Island disappoints because there's too many practical/physical elements... :eek:O: ), but it might be worth a larger discussion for those still interested in this subject...

Is Universal Orlando building the wrong types of theme park rides?

I feel like he's grasping at straws rather than accepting the obvious: USF has too many rides that are very similar to each other in terms of the experiences they offer.

Last edited:
Here's a piece from Robert Niles that is full of truly bizarre hot takes (to him, Hollywood's version of F&F is "one of the best things Universal's ever produced in its parks," Jaws and Kongfrontation didn't have devoted followings, and Skull Island disappoints because there's too many practical/physical elements... :eek:O: ), but it might be worth a larger discussion for those still interested in this subject...

Is Universal Orlando building the wrong types of theme park rides?

I feel like he grasping at straws rather than accepting the obvious: USF has too many rides that are very similar to each other in terms of the experiences they offer.
I think your summary doesn’t give his article justice. While I question some of his support, his argument seems to be at least a big valid. Should Orlando build versions of Hollywood’s Tram Tour scenes?

I think your summary doesn’t give his article justice. While I question some of his support, his argument seems to be at least a big valid. Should Orlando build versions of Hollywood’s Tram Tour scenes?

I mean, they already have though.

Earthquake, King Kong (Pre Fire) & 360 Kong (Post Fire), Jaws, and Supercharged have all been ported from Hollywood, in differentiating way's. Why should they try to remake their scenes, when they have already done that in way's that have been consistently (loose term for F&F) plussed for locations like Orlando and Osaka.

Would you really want Gasolina or Flash Flood to be turned into ride material?

I liked Niles until a few years ago. But now, he seems to be a bit of a shill for just about every theme park company, especially those new parks in the Middle East that no one goes to......And....Niles explanation of his Kong comments back then are kind of in alternative facts territory. I recall those discussions quite well.

Last edited: