CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but the permits for this project clearly call this a "Doughnut Shop" so that should be enough to confirm the rumors, if there was even any doubt left...

1Hjn6Jo.png

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but the permits for this project clearly call this a "Doughnut Shop" so that should be enough to confirm the rumors, if there was even any doubt left...

1Hjn6Jo.png
That feels like a lock. I’ll play Devil’s Advocate and say that it could be a Tim Horton’s (none in the south) or a trendy NYC/LA donut place.

But it’s probably Voodoo.

That feels like a lock. I’ll play Devil’s Advocate and say that it could be a Tim Horton’s (none in the south) or a trendy NYC/LA donut place.

It could be Donut King. Universal already has a relationship with them.

And Sugar Shack is moving into Florida, so it could be one.

Weirdly a Tim Hortons has just opened up about 2mins from my flat. I'm not a fan of coffee but I've been there 6 times in a week already. I thought they were everywhere in the US.

It could be Donut King. Universal already has a relationship with them.

And Sugar Shack is moving into Florida, so it could be one.
I would love it to be Donut King. Their fresh donut's are AMAZING. The one's they give UOR aren't nearly as fresh, but still good (Lard Lad's donuts are from Donut King for example)

Reactions: Disneyhead
Weirdly a Tim Hortons has just opened up about 2mins from my flat. I'm not a fan of coffee but I've been there 6 times in a week already. I thought they were everywhere in the US.
TH is from Canada and was recently acquired by Miami based Burger King. In any case I wouldn't expect this to be one.
I guess all is not happy in mergerland. Tim Hortons’ Franchisees Are Pissed at New Burger King Overlords - Eater

Another note, Is @Disneyhead Dave trying to tell us something? Or just speculation?

Last edited:
I thought Burger King relocated operations to Canada…
BK is still in Miami. RBI which owns both TH and BK is in Canada and was formed specifically as the parent of the BK/TH brands. If you go up the chain 3G capital put up the money to create RBI so I guess they have a large say in the running of the brands but it seems BK is calling the shots and that is why TH franchisees have filed a class action suit against RBI.
A tangled web was woven to get this all happening but BK was about bankrupt before the deal happened.
:topic:

Voodoo sounds like a lock for this place from the sources I have seen.

Honest question, is this speculation or more "I've heard it's more local"? A lot are sold on Voodoo and I think "high end breakfast establishment that can also do desert" is a winning strategy in general.
Speculation based on some rumors. The very first I heard of a Donut Shop coming to CityWalk said Donut King. But it was, what I call Communty Chatter. Not from an insider. Then all the Voodoo Donut chatter started. I know UOR is leaning away from 3rd party restaurants so that is where that idea came from. I'm hearing that the former Tchoup Chop will be a Universal creation.

I'm not saying it's not Voodoo, but considering Denver is the closest one, I am sceptical.

I'm not saying it's not Voodoo, but considering Denver is the closest one, I am sceptical.

That's actually not entirely true.

While it is still farther away from Florida, the closest on the eastern front of the United States is actually in Austin, not Denver.

I get what you are saying however, but that Voodoo Donuts makes sense when you take into account the success of the Citywalk location in Hollywood, and that it possibly has PR appeal when you consider possible foreign interest.

Just putting my two cents into that..

That's actually not entirely true.

While it is still farther away from Florida, the closest on the eastern front of the United States is actually in Austin, not Denver.

I get what you are saying however, but that Voodoo Donuts makes sense when you take into account the success of the Citywalk location in Hollywood, and that it possibly has PR appeal when you consider possible foreign interest.

Just putting my two cents into that..

Is Voodoo in Hollywood operated by Universal being the franchisee or is it being operated by Voodoo with them paying Universal the lease?

Universal leasing area to Voodoo means no profits just collecting rent money. Franchisee means some profit but still pay out to Voodoo. Original concept means Universal keeps 100% of profit except for supplies which they could outsource to a local bakery etc.

Speculation based on some rumors. The very first I heard of a Donut Shop coming to CityWalk said Donut King. But it was, what I call Communty Chatter. Not from an insider. Then all the Voodoo Donut chatter started. I know UOR is leaning away from 3rd party restaurants so that is where that idea came from. I'm hearing that the former Tchoup Chop will be a Universal creation.

Got it.

Is Voodoo in Hollywood operated by Universal being the franchisee or is it being operated by Voodoo with them paying Universal the lease?

Universal leasing area to Voodoo means no profits just collecting rent money. Franchisee means some profit but still pay out to Voodoo. Original concept means Universal keeps 100% of profit except for supplies which they could outsource to a local bakery etc.

Depending on how the lease works, Voodoo Doughnuts could be paying a flat rate every month plus a % of all sales go to Universal on top of that. It might seem like a crap deal any where else but with a much higher than average throughput plus tourists with money to burn, it makes it worthwhile for the vender.