Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 160 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw Disney will own way too much to be able to buy another Big 6 studio after their Fox purchase.

Universal is the most logical buyer for a variety of reasons (no anti-trust issues, Universal would offer the highest price, etc.).
Yeah and with the acquisition of X-Men, Disney just bought themselves years worth of comic-book material/movies without even needing Spider-Man.

Reactions: Mike S
Not much at the moment, but I do think Universal will end up buying Sony Pictures some day in the future if Sony ever puts their media division up for sale (not anytime soon according to Sony's CEO). So it's worth keeping in the back of our minds if/when that scenario comes to pass.

If they didn't dump it after the leak (and I think they should have), I don't think they will unless they go belly up.

Soooo this should cross out something for now.

When looking for trademarks, my eyes caught the sight of something..off. When I found it, I looked through, and that it caught me off-guard by what it was, that I am right now seething with laughter and anger.

Why? Because they had a trademark for something Monster-related in Universal, in the form of "Monsterville". Something to take into advantage, is that this was first filed in February of 2015, but then was opposed in December of that year. What could've they used for, I don't know, but that the fact they had something there originally, makes me really curious to know what UC's thought process is on a common-day basis.

Soooo this should cross out something for now.

When looking for trademarks, my eyes caught the sight of something..off. When I found it, I looked through, and that it caught me off-guard by what it was, that I am right now seething with laughter and anger.

Why? Because they had a trademark for something Monster-related in Universal, in the form of "Monsterville". Something to take into advantage, is that this was first filed in February of 2015, but then was opposed in December of that year. What could've they used for, I don't know, but that the fact they had something there originally, makes me really curious to know what UC's thought process is on a common-day basis.

It was used for Halloween merchandise.

Monsterville Halloween collection from Target and Universal Monsters

Yea I know which one you were talking about, but that evolved into the Dark Universe.

Doing some digging, and there are 2 different time-periods when Dark Universe was trademarked. The first period, mainly where most of them go was before Monsterville was trademarked, being November 6th, 2014. And the second, was last August.

If we are talking how Monsterville evolved, why would they have the desire to create a completely different set of trademarks, than what was already created?

Reactions: Teebin
Doing some digging, and there are 2 different time-periods when Dark Universe was trademarked. The first period, mainly where most of them go was before Monsterville was trademarked, being November 6th, 2014. And the second, was last August.

If we are talking how Monsterville evolved, why would they have the desire to create a completely different set of trademarks, than what was already created?

I'm basing it on the fact that Monsterville was already being opposed for themepark usage in April 2016 while Dark Universe was still alive for theme park usage. Then later in 2016 we found out Universal's monsterverse was called Dark Universe which seems to suggest that Monsterville because Dark Universe.

Its not the first time Universal had two trademarks for the same project...aka Wondersea and Volcano Bay.

I'm basing it on the fact that Monsterville was already being opposed for themepark usage in April 2016 while Dark Universe was still alive for theme park usage. Then later in 2016 we found out Universal's monsterverse was called Dark Universe which seems to suggest that Monsterville because Dark Universe.

Its not the first time Universal had two trademarks for the same project...aka Wondersea and Volcano Bay.

Fair point, but now the question remains, with the Dark Universe seeming to be dead due to The Mummy, and if Universal want to bring the Classic Monsters at-least in some form to Gate 4, would they simply to the Sherlock approach and resurrect that trademark altogether? If, and I am saying this as I have been blinded by the hope of something Monsters related once in a larger form, if they do; they can't rely on something that did poorly with what was going to be the start of it's own universe.

Fair point, but now the question remains, with the Dark Universe seeming to be dead due to The Mummy, and if Universal want to bring the Classic Monsters at-least in some form to Gate 4, would they simply to the Sherlock approach and resurrect that trademark altogether? If, and I am saying this as I have been blinded by the hope of something Monsters related once in a larger form, if they do; they can't rely on something that did poorly with what was going to be the start of it's own universe.

Universal hasn't given up on Monsters...I think since the Mummy they are just going to try a new format outside films (television) since they just greenlit development of a show regarding the classic monsters. So you are very right there will be Universal Monsters in the 4th park.

I think the Monsterville however delineates the old school while anything new will be under a different trademark.

Lewis and Salem co-creator Adam Simon are teaming on the first untitled project, which centers on famous monsters and their creators with Robert Masello’s recent novel,The Jekyll Revelation and his upcoming Bram Stoker’s Night Crossing as launching pads. Written by Simon, the project follows real-life feminist icon Annie Besant as her investigations of infamous crimes in late Victorian London reveal a hidden underworld of real monsters and a secret society of famous authors who have ‘created’ them — revealing the secret truth about Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll & Hyde, the Invisible Man and the hidden relationships between their famous creators – Robert Louis Stevenson, Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and H.G. Wells. Simon and Lewis will executive produce.

Producer Richard B. Lewis Sets Three Projects At Universal Cable Prods | Deadline

Universal hasn't given up on Monsters...I think since the Mummy they are just going to try a new format outside films (television) since they just greenlit development of a show regarding the classic monsters. So you are very right there will be Universal Monsters in the 4th park.

I think the Monsterville however delineates the old school while anything new will be under a different trademark.
I honestly think they would work better as a Netflix series tbh

Aaaaand then I could get my Steampunk monsters land I want

Reactions: graspthesun
I hope there is a Monsters land in the 3rd park. It would be such a missed opportunity not to, in my opinion. I honestly hope Universal doesn't give up on the dark universe either. I saw the new Mummy (for free on a plane) and kind of enjoyed it. I know it was a flop at the box office, but if they just improve for the next movies, I think they could make it work. We'll see I guess, I but I just think it'd be a shame if the Universal Monsters don't get a land or ride in the new park - they're still iconic, and Universal needs to embrace that more in their parks.

universal has tried multiple time to revive the monsters but have failed every time. Watch the next time they try they succeed and it become a big hit.But its prob gonna b a musical by lin manwell.

universal has tried multiple time to revive the monsters but have failed every time. Watch the next time they try they succeed and it become a big hit.But its prob gonna b a musical by lin manwell.
Well, this is not the thread for this statement, but....The films are not successful because they are terrible films..They are more focused on creating a universe rather than good movies...and we have what we have..

Reactions: JPRA513
I've said it time and time again in this thread: I would LOVE to see a haunted mansion type ride featuring the CLASSIC Universal Monsters, set in Dracula's Castle.

Anything based on anything new is destined to become dated too quickly and not resonate the way the classic monsters always will.

I've said it time and time again in this thread: I would LOVE to see a haunted mansion type ride featuring the CLASSIC Universal Monsters, set in Dracula's Castle.

Anything based on anything new is destined to become dated too quickly and not resonate the way the classic monsters always will.
This right here. If they base it off the Dark Universe (if that even happens still) it'll become dated within a few years, unless the new films become classics in their own right, but that seems unlikely. Base it on the actual classics and you've got a winner. Instantly recognizable and iconic, you've got a timeless attraction if done right. It's like the difference between Spiderman and Transformers. Once the Transformers franchise finally sputters out, Transformers will have a 5-10 years before it becomes really dated. Whereas, Spiderman, the older ride, is based off a more timeless version of Spiderman and will still be fresh (IMO).

This right here. If they base it off the Dark Universe (if that even happens still) it'll become dated within a few years, unless the new films become classics in their own right, but that seems unlikely. Base it on the actual classics and you've got a winner. Instantly recognizable and iconic, you've got a timeless attraction if done right. It's like the difference between Spiderman and Transformers. Once the Transformers franchise finally sputters out, Transformers will have a 5-10 years before it becomes really dated. Whereas, Spiderman, the older ride, is based off a more timeless version of Spiderman and will still be fresh (IMO).
Heck, you could make the comparison with Spider-Man alone. If they based it off the live action movies, they already would have needed to update the ride, TWICE, to fix it. Going with a timless comic book look is such an improvement.

...that said, the pre-show could really use some work. The same general thing but with HD animation (and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, please?) would do wonders.

Heck, you could make the comparison with Spider-Man alone. If they based it off the live action movies, they already would have needed to update the ride, TWICE, to fix it. Going with a timless comic book look is such an improvement.

...that said, the pre-show could really use some work. The same general thing but with HD animation (and J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, please?) would do wonders.
Agreed. I never liked the MCU idea for Marvel Island future attractions, or converting what's there to MCU. The comics are timeless, Universal doesn't have to be concerned with outlandish actor fees for filming, and no worries about an actor's possible future sexual, violence, drug etc. misdeeds/scandals that would soil the attraction. Comic book characters don't have scandal potential.....

Reactions: JPRA513
Status
Not open for further replies.