Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it time and time again in this thread: I would LOVE to see a haunted mansion type ride featuring the CLASSIC Universal Monsters, set in Dracula's Castle.

Anything based on anything new is destined to become dated too quickly and not resonate the way the classic monsters always will.
I could see that as Mummy's replacement...only it would still be a coaster haha...Each scene could be a different monster

You know, I never really realized how solidified the original monsters are...They are very recognizable globally

Being realistic,

Over the past year, Universal has increased their content acquisitions for film/television in the UK, China, and Japan as well as increasing their animation based jobs with the goal of creating original IPs/content in the US, China, and Japan. Dreamwork even started a new program to increase their ability to create more original IPs. DreamWorks Animation Launches Shorts Program With ‘Bird Karma’ – Variety
UC creates, designs, and develops all theme park and resorts attractions and aspects for all Universal parks now (per their own statement). NBCU despite reports of planning to sell Oriental Dreamworks seem to still own their 45% share and haven't sold it off. In addition, based on the location of the animation based jobs in China which were in Shanghai and not Beijing it seems they may have continued supporting that effort. This my suggest that Universal is still strongly behind with Universal Beijing being authentically Chinese using Oriental Dreamworks based products and IPs. With UC creating those attractions, it is likely based on Potter, Hello Kitty, and Waterworld , that these attractions may be cloned and placed stateside with slight changes.

Universal's upcoming film lineup until 2021 is very strong on the horror/suspense/thriller with 12 releases and family films with 11 (8 animated, 3 live action). Out of action blockbusters,there are only 5 releases (JW, Skyscraper, Pacific Rim, Cowboy Ninja Viking, Mortal Engines) currently not represented in the parks. The rest of the films are no gos for any theme parks (No Fifty Shades of Gray attraction in the 4th park). This suggests that many of the IPs for the upcoming park will be older, animation based, or from outside partners. It can also be suggested based on the film line up, Universal is strongly pushing for more family attractions/IPs which matches what other people have said.

On the television side, Universal is creating their own comicbook shows using the graphic novels Umbrella Academy and Deadly Class with both being picked up by Netflix and Deadly Class airing on Syfy as well. In addition, 88% of Universal Cable productions upcoming projects are sci-fi based/horror based which suggests potential for park use.The department with the biggest increase is Dreamworks Animation Television. DWA television is expanding and producing at a rapid speed, creating more and more shows and recently partnered with Dentsu (japanese marketing company) to jointly create/develop a show based off Brickbear toys. Nothing on the NBC television side seems to be for/capitalized for theme park usage.

UC's positive working relationships with WB and many Japanese based organizations to include Dentsu, Nintendo, Square Enix, Shonen Jump, Capcom, and Sanrio make it safe to assume we would observe more partnerships/utilization of their IPs in upcoming parks.

However, a job opened up whose job is to monetize and find value of underutilized and nonfranchise IPs in the NBCU catalog across the entire company which last time I checked includes theme park so potentially we may see some obscure IP show up in future park/parks.
Search Display

In other words, the sky is the limit for this upcoming park and there may be quite a few surprises in terms of what is utilized than previous speculated. Kinda like T2 becoming Bourne out of all IPs.

Last edited:
It’s obvious that this new park, when it comes, will have the latest technology and I’m wondering if Universal has ever thought of using touch-screen computer ordering for their food service. I was surprised not to see it come with Volcano Bay but I wonder if it’s a thought they’ve had?

universal has tried multiple time to revive the monsters but have failed every time. Watch the next time they try they succeed and it become a big hit.But its prob gonna b a musical by lin manwell.
Creature Double Features!

2-75 min. Black and White features starting with an Illumination's cartoon.

Super low budget, TV Stars.

DreamWorks- Maybe a how to train your dragon stimulator ride (similar to FoP)
A Shrek Boat Ride would be nice
Nintendo- Zelda Dark Ride and Show and same with Pokemon, Peaches Castle
Illumination- Maybe if the new grinch movie does well we will get a Mount Crumpit Ride

Just quick update on universal jobs which may point to IPs/rights they are looking to acquire,

I want to point out Universal just put out quite a few acquisition jobs in Japan in the last month to include a content manager, a right manager, and multiple animation producer jobs as well as Content acquistion/development jobs in China and England.

This recent trend may indicate a huge turnover of staff or this may highlight areas where they think they can acquire content that would enhance their offerings on the world market and potentially what content, rights, etc they acquire may be exploited in the new park depending on what it is.

What Chinese, English, and Japanese IPs could NBCUni be specifically looking at?
Could we get Dr. Who the ride? Will Universal acquire Sanrio? I don't know any specifically internationally popular Chinese IPs but this could end up interesting.

Last edited:
Does universal own the rights to the upcoming shark movie The Meg? I would love to see a new shark dark ride that simulates being under water. I guess in the style of the Shanghai Pirates ride but more thrilling. Shark movies are becoming popular again and I want to see them incorporated into the parks again.

Does universal own the rights to the upcoming shark movie The Meg? I would love to see a new shark dark ride that simulates being under water. I guess in the style of the Shanghai Pirates ride but more thrilling. Shark movies are becoming popular again and I want to see them incorporated into the parks again.

No.. its WB and a Chinese company.

It’s obvious that this new park, when it comes, will have the latest technology and I’m wondering if Universal has ever thought of using touch-screen computer ordering for their food service. I was surprised not to see it come with Volcano Bay but I wonder if it’s a thought they’ve had?

I think Disney are implementing this better with their app. You can order your food and pick it up at a window or have it delivered to your table.

Updated predictions:

-Nintendo
-LOTR
-DreamWorks

I think these will make up the majority of the park, maybe with things like Star Trek sprinkled in

Do you mean a DreamWorks land or various lands based on their IPs? I've still never seen How to Train Your Dragon but everything I hear sounds perfect for a land.

Do you mean a DreamWorks land or various lands based on their IPs? I've still never seen How to Train Your Dragon but everything I hear sounds perfect for a land.
My money is on a DreamWorks Fantasyland-type land with multiple IP rides mixed in one place...

The Isle of Berk from How to Train Your Dragon is still my vote to replace the remainder of Lost Continent. (Especially since it's an island.) If Universal doesn't get rights to LOTR or needs to fill another land, HTTYD could be its own land in 4th gate -- in addition to a DreamWorks Fantasyland land.

Updated predictions:

-Nintendo
-LOTR
-DreamWorks

I think these will make up the majority of the park, maybe with things like Star Trek sprinkled in
I could see that. If the park is truly MK-style, I like the idea of the park being divided into several encompassing "Kingdoms."
- The Kingdom of Middle-Earth, featuring several scenic Middle-Earth locations such as the Shire, Rivendell, and Mordor.
- The Kingdom of Super Nintendo World, featuring several iconic Nintendo properties such as Mario, Zelda, and Kirby. (Pokemon can
- The Kingdom of DreamWorks Land, featuring several popular DreamWorks series such as Kung Fu Panda, How to Train your Dragon, and Shrek.
I have no idea how you'd incorporate side IPs like Star Trek and Fantastic Beasts here, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.