Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also just for fun, and since I like making lists I made a little list of what properties that have been brought up in terms of likelihood (with a one or two of my own I've considered)
Very Likely:
-Halloween (2018). Due to Murdy's tweets, HHN's history with the franchise scoring high, and Murdy's relationship with Jason Blum this seems nearly definite.
-AHS: Asylum. While some may argue that this isn't worthy of a "very likely" spot, I still see it as being up there due to Murdy's interest in the season in the past, and if this is AHS' last year, they have to go out with the most fan requested season so far.
Likely:
-IT (2017). I remember right after leaving the theater thinking that IT was almost definitely coming to the event and that it would be a horrible decision to let this slip through their fingers, and due to what Murdy has tweeted in the past so long as WB lets them, I expect to see it this year.
-Stranger Things. This has also been highly fan requested since season one, and while it would be pretty hard to pull off effectively I have some faith it will finally make it this year.
-Trick R' Treat. I was gonna put this lower but because of what I've seen I think it really does have a fair chance of coming this year. Along with that tweet a few posts before this one and the fact that if he really did have to leave I could see him taking a stab at it. Hell-O-Ween could have also been seen as a warm up for it.
Unlikely:
-AHS: Cult. While the costumes would be fantastic and seemed almost made for this event, I don't think we'll see it this year unless they go with a season 2, 3, and 7 mashup which could be possible if this is AHS' last year. Still due to the inherently political nature of the season I could see them avoiding it.
-IT (1990). This was thrown around as a possibility for a while but I don't think Murdy would skip out on the new movie. The new one has enough relevance to general audiences to be recognizable now, but I think seeing it be so different from what the GP expect could cause lots of confusion. I only really see this coming if they really want to shoot for the nostalgia of older fans over the teen demographic they usually aim for.
-Classic Monsters Mashup. I would absolutely love this to come but I still can't convince myself it will. Unless Murdy has found a way to make the classic 30's and 40's monsters scary to a new audience, I think this will remain a "what if", though I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.
-Nightmare on Elm Street. I think this is way more likely to show up on the east coast than the west, since they haven't seen Freddy solo since 2007 but the concept of a NoES terror tram does sound intriguing to me, but I would much rather have an original concept on tram again, or just something we haven't seen before.
Very Unlikely:
-The Thing (1982). I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see The Thing come to HHN this year or any year for that matter, since I'm a pretty recent fan of the event and only experienced the 2011 Thing in video form but I don't think we'll ever get to see this one through unless NBCUniversal starts taking a liking for this event and gave them a way higher budget. No matter how likely it is, this will always be my dream maze.
-Insidious: The Last Key. I don't think we'll see the fourth installment of the Insidious movies come to this coast just because it seems like since they cut so much out, there really isn't a huge amount of maze potential left. That and a good 75% of last year's maze was Chapter 4, which pretty much satiated my hunger for it. Also there hasn't ever been an Insidious maze based solely on one film, and there's probably a good reason for that. *cough* filler *cough*
-Happy Death Day/HOB Vol 2. I lumped these together because there have pretty much only been rumors pointing towards a second Horrors of Blumhouse maze rather than a solo Happy Death Day maze. I partially added Happy Death Day as a joke, and partially because it made plenty of money and would be fairly easy to pull off, along with GP recognition. It may be a little to similar to Halloween in terms of scares though. I suppose this could be swapped out with a solo Sinister maze if you're so inclined. A second Horrors of Blumhouse is possible, but it would pretty slim in terms of the choices to make into sections of the maze without using The Purge as a crutch. Maybe in a few years once Blumhouse has a few more movies out.

TL;DR, Halloween and Asylum probably coming. IT, Stranger Things, and Trick R Treat maybe. Cult, IT miniseries, Classic Monsters, and Nightmare on Elm Street probably not. And The Thing, Insidious 4, and Horrors of Blumhouse 2/Happy Death Day almost definitely not. (Sorry for such a long post)

Last edited:
Reactions: ush.hacker
Unlikely:
-AHS: Cult. While the costumes would be fantastic and seemed almost made for this event, I don't think we'll see it this year unless they go with a season 2, 3, and 7 mashup which could be possible if this is AHS' last year. Still due to the inherently political nature of the season I could see them avoiding it.
-Classic Monsters Mashup. I would absolutely love this to come but I still can't convince myself it will. Unless Murdy has found a way to make the classic 30's and 40's monsters attractive and scary to a new audience, I think this will remain a "what if", though I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong.
-Nightmare on Elm Street. I think this is way more likely to show up on the east coast than the west, since they haven't seen Freddy solo since 2007 but the concept of a NoES terror tram does sound intriguing to me, but I would much rather have an original concept on tram again, or just something we haven't seen before.
Very Unlikely:
-The Thing (1982). I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see The Thing come to HHN this year or any year for that matter, since I'm a pretty recent fan of the event and only experienced the 2011 Thing in video form but I don't think we'll ever get to see this one through unless NBCUniversal starts taking a liking for this event (which from what I've heard isn't always the case) and gave them a way higher budget. No matter how likely it is, this will always be my dream maze.
AHS Cult: I mentioned a while back that from the interview with Ryan Murphy last year it seems to me that he wants to do Cult. And advertising would work for Cult because Orlando is most likely doing it which would add to the whole political thing and that's there is not that much political stuff in Cult. Not really a lot. Some but it doesn't mix with the Horror Scenes/Moments of the Season. It's just kinda there in the background. I either see a Asylum or Cult solo Maze but could go either way. Don't mind either one as I want them both equally.

Classic Monsters:

Took a lot of time to figure out. I expect us to see some mashup maze at HHN this year and I don't think it's gonna be AHS or Blumhouse. I do think Universal Monsters is likely. The whole they haven't tackled it because they don't know how to make it scary ties in perfectly with Parisian Courtyard and that it took a lot of time to figure out. A lot of time to figure out how they are scary like how it took a lot of time to figure out the backstory of Titans of Terror. Also...

This kinda sounds like something Murdy would use for Universal Monsters. The Setting/Facade for Titans of Terror to tie all 3 Icons is a Home Haunt. Well to tie all the Monsters is a Graveyard or Friary possibly.

Also he tweeted this a little bit before he tweeted about writing the first maze. IMO a bit of a coincidence.

Nightmare on Elm Street: I think this would happen. It would be a good excuse to reuse all those Freddy Props. Plus Freddy has been the Star somewhat of the past two years of HHN. So to use him as a Icon almost or a theme for HHN2018 would actually work really well. Like the whole event is living your worst nightmares. Dream Warriors seems to be most likely and it was somewhat tackled in 2007. But it could also make for a Cheesy Horror Maze. I could totally see it happening.

The Thing: A while back there was mention that HHN would have a Huge Budget so it would work in terms of The Thing. Also...

The whole "Snow" setting Murdy although obvious makes me think of The Thing. Although Murdy has had more Obvious clues.

I do agree with what you said about AHS Asylum, IT, Stranger Things, Halloween, and TRT. But I do also want to add why I think some of this other properties also have a chance.

Reactions: horrornights789
I’d hope that AHS this year will be a mashup of Asylum, Coven, Cult house so that way they can satisfy Murdy’s wants of an Asylum house, the GP’s want for a Coven house, and Ryan Murphy’s want for a Cult house. Also The Thing could fit into a scene or two of a UCM house

AHS Cult: I mentioned a while back that from the interview with Ryan Murphy last year it seems to me that he wants to do Cult. And advertising would work for Cult because Orlando is most likely doing it which would add to the whole political thing and that's there is not that much political stuff in Cult. Not really a lot. Some but it doesn't mix with the Horror Scenes/Moments of the Season. It's just kinda there in the background. I either see a Asylum or Cult solo Maze but could go either way. Don't mind either one as I want them both equally.

Classic Monsters:

Took a lot of time to figure out. I expect us to see some mashup maze at HHN this year and I don't think it's gonna be AHS or Blumhouse. I do think Universal Monsters is likely. The whole they haven't tackled it because they don't know how to make it scary ties in perfectly with Parisian Courtyard and that it took a lot of time to figure out. A lot of time to figure out how they are scary like how it took a lot of time to figure out the backstory of Titans of Terror. Also...

This kinda sounds like something Murdy would use for Universal Monsters. The Setting/Facade for Titans of Terror to tie all 3 Icons is a Home Haunt. Well to tie all the Monsters is a Graveyard or Friary possibly.

Also he tweeted this a little bit before he tweeted about writing the first maze. IMO a bit of a coincidence.

Nightmare on Elm Street: I think this would happen. It would be a good excuse to reuse all those Freddy Props. Plus Freddy has been the Star somewhat of the past two years of HHN. So to use him as a Icon almost or a theme for HHN2018 would actually work really well. Like the whole event is living your worst nightmares. Dream Warriors seems to be most likely and it was somewhat tackled in 2007. But it could also make for a Cheesy Horror Maze. I could totally see it happening.

The Thing: A while back there was mention that HHN would have a Huge Budget so it would work in terms of The Thing. Also...

The whole "Snow" setting Murdy although obvious makes me think of The Thing. Although Murdy has had more Obvious clues.

I do agree with what you said about AHS Asylum, IT, Stranger Things, Halloween, and TRT. But I do also want to add why I think some of this other properties also have a chance.

Thanks for responding! The list I made was just my hunches (and mostly just hopes) but I really appreciate being able to see your opinion on how it'll go

An extremely hard aesthetic to pull off but if a Classic Monsters maze is put in for this year I really hope everything is somehow black and white.

Orlando did that in 2012 with a maze called House of Horrors; it was pitch black until a strobe would light the room. I’d hope that we get that but it doesn’t seem like something Murdy would do

If Murdy is making a Classic Monsters maze, I really, really want the facade to be a drive in theater. The asthetic would look PERFECT with it being next to Mel’s and having a few parked cars there.

Knowing Murdy in how much he LOVES to reuse stuff, I wouldn’t put it past him to just reuse the theater facade from Blumhouse.

When 1990 IT got thrown around I didn't think it made sense until I realized the 1990 version is a complete version of the story and the new version is just one half.

I am not saying this is what is happening but if John wanted to do the whole story and WB, obviously, doesn't want any spoilers a compromise could be use the 1990 story but stylize it to the new movie.

When 1990 IT got thrown around I didn't think it made sense until I realized the 1990 version is a complete version of the story and the new version is just one half.

I am not saying this is what is happening but if John wanted to do the whole story and WB, obviously, doesn't want any spoilers a compromise could be use the 1990 story but stylize it to the new movie.

That seems the most logical decision but Murdy said that he would have to do the 2017 version since it’s more relevant

Edit: Even if they did the 1990 version, there isn’t much to use maze-wise besides a few key scenes and Tim Curry’s Pennywise

Double Unrelated Edit: Did anyone else see the news about a possible Sinister x Insidious crossover by Blumhouse? If that comes into fruition I would beg for another Insidious maze solely for more Baghuul

Last edited:
Did anyone else see the news about a possible Sinister x Insidious crossover by Blumhouse? If that comes into fruition I would beg for another Insidious maze solely for more Baghuul

I remember briefly reading about that. Hypothetically speaking, if it were to be released either next year or 2020, I wouldn't doubt a very similar mashup of the Sinister scenes from HoB and various recycling from last year's Insidious house.

I remember briefly reading about that. Hypothetically speaking, if it were to be released either next year or 2020, I wouldn't doubt a very similar mashup of the Sinister scenes from HoB and various recycling from last year's Insidious house.

I’d imagine it’d be like FvJ to where 1/3 Sinister, 1/3 Insidious, & 1/3 Crossover; which personally I feel is how the Halloween maze is gonna be but with 50/50 between original and 2018 version

slightly off topic, but I'm still wondering how they're going to reconcile the R-rating for Sinister and the PG-13 rating for Insidious? Sinister without the snuff tapes is like a zombie without its teeth. Still, seeing Elise force-push Bughuul into the sky like Team Rocket would be worth the price of two movie tickets.

Regardless, I'd imagine a crossover between Sinister and Insidious (Insinister? Sinidious?) would be based primarily off of the movie and not previous mazes, if only to get that marketing synergy on.

slightly off topic, but I'm still wondering how they're going to reconcile the R-rating for Sinister and the PG-13 rating for Insidious? Sinister without the snuff tapes is like a zombie without its teeth. Still, seeing Elise force-push Bughuul into the sky like Team Rocket would be worth the price of two movie tickets.

Regardless, I'd imagine a crossover between Sinister and Insidious (Insinister? Sinidious?) would be based primarily off of the movie and not previous mazes, if only to get that marketing synergy on.

For Sinister they could just do what Sinister I did where most of the gore was unseen. I’m just wondering how they’re gonns connect the movies; my bet is Elise finds snuff films and encounters Baghuul

For Sinister they could just do what Sinister I did where most of the gore was unseen. I’m just wondering how they’re gonns connect the movies; my bet is Elise finds snuff films and encounters Baghuul

Specs and Tucker and Elise help a family out. They decide they need to move out of the old place in order to heal.

Oh hey, this place is pretty cheap. What's that? Some murders happened here a long time ago? Eh, whatever. What's the worst that can happen?

Cut to two weeks later. Elise gets called in by an old family to deal with a new haunting. Bingo. InSiniDiouSter.

Universals. Paypal or check, doesn't matter which.

Specs and Tucker and Elise help a family out. They decide they need to move out of the old place in order to heal.

Oh hey, this place is pretty cheap. What's that? Some murders happened here a long time ago? Eh, whatever. What's the worst that can happen?

Cut to two weeks later. Elise gets called in by an old family to deal with a new haunting. Bingo. InSiniDiouSter.

Universals. Paypal or check, doesn't matter which.

If this crossover does happen I’m just wondering whether or not this counts as Insidious Chp 5; back to HHN speculation, what are the odds we could potentially get an original maze if The Conjuring is genuinely not coming? At the moment it sounds like we have:

- Halloween
- AHS Cult or AHS Asylum or AHS Asylum, Coven, Cult
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- IT
- Stranger Things
- Trick ‘r Treat
- Possibly Universal Classic Monsters mashup

Side note, but for UCM I really hope they include at least one or two scenes for The Thing(in addition to the given Wolfman, Frankenstein, Dracula)

If this crossover does happen I’m just wondering whether or not this counts as Insidious Chp 5; back to HHN speculation, what are the odds we could potentially get an original maze if The Conjuring is genuinely not coming? At the moment it sounds like we have:

- Halloween
- AHS Cult or AHS Asylum or AHS Asylum, Coven, Cult
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- IT
- Stranger Things
- Trick ‘r Treat
- Possibly Universal Classic Monsters mashup

Side note, but for UCM I really hope they include at least one or two scenes for The Thing(in addition to the given Wolfman, Frankenstein, Dracula)

If the CM house is coming, I would imagine this is our lineup of the monsters to be featured..

Phantom of The Opera (1925)
Dracula
Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein
Wolfman
Creature from The Black Lagoon

All of them, have a huge part in the history of Universal's classic monsters, and will be easy to show with ease. And for the case of Phantom, he was the first monster that Universal had for the Classic Monsters. Out of anything, he is the one to deserve the spotlight first, especially due to Universal's horror past.

If the CM house is coming, I would imagine this is our lineup of the monsters to be featured..

Phantom of The Opera (1925)
Dracula
Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein
Wolfman
Creature from The Black Lagoon

All of them, have a huge part in the history of Universal's classic monsters, and will be easy to show with ease. And for the case of Phantom, he was the first monster that Universal had for the Classic Monsters. Out of anything, he is the one to deserve the spotlight first, especially due to Universal's horror past.

No Mummy or Invisible Man?