Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney to pilot electronic-only transactions at Resort Hotels

I think this is the future in the real world, but I wonder how well it will work in an environment where many of the guests are using exchanged currency since they live in other countries.

A lot of foreigners only carry cash.

I think this is the future in the real world, but I wonder how well it will work in an environment where many of the guests are using exchanged currency since they live in other countries.

A lot of foreigners only carry cash.

I think in their resorts it kind of works because of Magic Bands but I know a lot of people who only use cash when they travel and a few people who don't have a credit card and flat out refuse to use their debit card abroad because the charges are much higher.

As a guest to the hotel, going to dinner would be fine but having to use a card and get charged all the fees that go with it for buying something as small as a bottle of water is a pain.

this is already how I operate. I rarely have or use cash, and it's usually a hassle when I need to go to an ATM, and pay an extra fee just so I can pay cash for something. Magic Bands have basically made charging even easier. So yeah, I could see this being the future.

I can see this within the Hotels. I'd say the vast majority in there are staying in the hotel and would have a room that has a card on file to charge to. For this to ever work in the parks though, we'd pretty much already have to be transformed to a cashless society.

Some on twitter have pointed out a lot pay cash tips if they’re on the dining plan and cash is frequently used by foreigners to lock in an exchange rate.

Some on twitter have pointed out a lot pay cash tips if they’re on the dining plan and cash is frequently used by foreigners to lock in an exchange rate.
Cash will still be accepted for tips.

The article also states that you can put cash on file at check-in and that will go on your Magic Band, which will make it used as if it was a credit card on file.

That's a good point as well.

In a kind of opposite way, I bought my dollars last year at 1.25 when the exchange rate jumped to about 1.35 just after I arrived in the states so it made sense to use my credit card more than normal. I came home with a lot more cash than normal but the place I exchanged the money had a buy back scheme for the same rate I bought them for. The risk with doing that though is that some places can wait a few days to process the transaction and if the exchange rate radically changes, you'll be paying the better or worse rate.