Disney Springs Discussion | Page 86 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What is your favorite part about it? Dough, toppings, etc?
The dough was very good. The taste did seem to vary though as I got a slice of a pepperoni and my sister got a slice of a regular cheese. Strangely, I really enjoyed the crust on my Pizza, but the crust on the cheese had a slightly tangy taste. It was still good, but it wasn't what I was expecting at the time.

Reactions: shiekra38
Wow. I mean i've ate at Morimoto and it's pretty good, but best in Orlando? I feel like i've had better at Disney Springs alone, nevermind V&A.
Restaurants that are better than Morimoto's Asian.

1. Capa
2. Bull & Bear
3. 1921
4. Del Frisco's Double Eagle
5. Norman's
6. Spencer's For Steaks & Chops
7. The Venetian Chop House
8. Christini's
9. The Boathouse
10. The Colorado Fondue Co.

I wonder what they ordered at Morimoto. I’ve never been (always wanted to!) but it seems like the menu has a very large price range. Some medium priced things, some incredibly expensive.

I could see how a more medium priced meal wouldn’t be “Best in Orlando” but a very expensive meal would.

I wonder what they ordered at Morimoto. I’ve never been (always wanted to!) but it seems like the menu has a very large price range. Some medium priced things, some incredibly expensive.

I could see how a more medium priced meal wouldn’t be “Best in Orlando” but a very expensive meal would.

It's a vote, not Scott's personal pick. People who by definition follow the Orlando food scene pretty closely. Just a snapshot of the local zeitgeist, if you will. Still found it interesting, no way a Downtown Disney place 10 years ago even came near this list.

It's a vote, not Scott's personal pick. People who by definition follow the Orlando food scene pretty closely. Just a snapshot of the local zeitgeist, if you will. Still found it interesting, no way a Downtown Disney place 10 years ago even came near this list.
The best thing at DTD 10 years ago for dining was probably something like Fulton's, right? The 10 year span has really drastically changed the outlook of DTD/DS.

A March 2008 map of Downtown Disney shows 6 nightclubs and Fuego, which thrived off of the PI crowd and closed shortly after the closure of PI. In total, there was only 9 table service restaurants in DTD in 2008, with 3 quick service (one being McDonalds).

As of January 2018, the map lists "Table Service" as having 15 locations, with 2 new venues (Jaleo and Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill) along with a refurbished venue (Portobello), bringing the grand total to 18 Table Service restaurants by the end of 2018 and 13 Quick Service options. There are also 15 "Specialty Food & Beverage" locations (places like Amorette's or Starbucks) and 6 "Lounges" once Wine Bar George opens.

As for entertainment options, these have been greatly reduced. With the loss of the clubs, Disney Quest and La Nouba, there will only be 8 total entertainment experiences throughout Disney Springs (and two of these are the carousel and train in the marketplace). Remember, there was 6 clubs still in existence in March 2008. Sure NBA Experience is being built and a show is replacing La Nouba, but the vast shift away from nighttime entertainment and towards dining (and shopping... I didn't even dive into that) is obvious and it is precisely why The Edison almost definitely won't work they way they intended it to.

Reactions: SeventyOne
In other news, Disney Springs made the New York Times' list of "Top 52 Places to Visit in 2018". It placed number 41 on the list and this is what they had to say about it:
3xwvuIk.jpg

I feel like the place has become more of a generic outlet mall in the last few years. Shopping and overpriced food doesn't appeal to me, but this was a very smart business decision on Disney's part. No doubt revenues have increased dramatically. It just doesn't feel as special to me anymore.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I wonder if Universal will respond to DS at all. Disney built a whole complex that transcends the theme parks next door. It seems like it’s no longer being sold as “the shopping mall at Disney World.”

Universal seems to relish the thought of CityWalk being the connector of their theme parks.

In other news, Disney Springs made the New York Times' list of "Top 52 Places to Visit in 2018". It placed number 41 on the list and this is what they had to say about it:
3xwvuIk.jpg
I wonder how much that cost Disney to get themselves on the list
I wonder if Universal will respond to DS at all. Disney built a whole complex that transcends the theme parks next door. It seems like it’s no longer being sold as “the shopping mall at Disney World.”

Universal seems to relish the thought of CityWalk being the connector of their theme parks.
I think people forget how different CityWalk is now...like seriously...I think the main goal for Universal was to get CityWalk to the point where people wouldn't venture out to I-Drive and other places

I wonder how much that cost Disney to get themselves on the list

I think people forget how different CityWalk is now...like seriously...I think the main goal for Universal was to get CityWalk to the point where people wouldn't venture out to I-Drive and other places
Those NYTimes places to go lists definitely have some unusual picks. For instance, my hometown of Detroit was top ten on last year’s list. I personally think the NYTimes does a good job of picking different places than the million other lists out there. I’m not thinking Disney had to pay them because of that.

You’re completely right about CityWalk. There was so much CityWalk activity when CW 2.0 was announced and I personally forget about that.

Reactions: shiekra38

I agree. CityWalk lately (say last 5 years) has largely been keeping tourists who would otherwise end up at Chili's or Outback on I-Drive. Disney Springs--at least the restaurants, the shops are a different beast--are firmly aimed at the convention crowd who kept running off to Sand Lake Road.

As of January 2018, the map lists "Table Service" as having 15 locations, with 2 new venues (Jaleo and Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill) along with a refurbished venue (Portobello), bringing the grand total to 18 Table Service restaurants by the end of 2018.

I just can't see that many surviving. They've already cannibalized a lot from resort dining (WDW didn't undercut TiW by offering APs 20% off and CMs 40% off out of the generosity of their heart). As new places open, the new restaurant smell wears off the older places. And at some point, hip, high-end restaurants grow stale just like nightclubs do. I just don't see this as a long-term solution.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I just can't see that many surviving. They've already cannibalized a lot from resort dining (WDW didn't undercut TiW by offering APs 20% off and CMs 40% off out of the generosity of their heart). As new places open, the new restaurant smell wears off the older places. And at some point, hip, high-end restaurants grow stale just like nightclubs do. I just don't see this as a long-term solution.
I agree (and on top of those 18, we have the NBA Experience coming in 2019, which will have a restaurant). I see House of Blues leaving soon and I think places like Paddlefish and STK are in trouble. I do think that most of these restaurants are doing well though.

In the mall business, nothing is longterm. Things change with the times. In 15-20 years I expect DS will probably be expanded once again (into the Cirque parking lot, as was proposed originally for Disney Springs) and they will probably change the style and look of the area to fit whatever the mall trend is at that time. It's all about keeping with the trends and if DS manages to do that it will remain successful.

I think there's several restaurants that don't have well defined concepts to get people to come. Paddlefish is too similar to Boathouse (seafood restaurant about boats), STK is just a nightclub steakhouse. It seems like the restaurants with well-defined concepts (and Morimoto since its concept is just really good Asian food) will do great. Personally, I don't think Edison will have any problems since it has a well-defined concept.

I think there's several restaurants that don't have well defined concepts to get people to come. Paddlefish is too similar to Boathouse (seafood restaurant about boats), STK is just a nightclub steakhouse. It seems like the restaurants with well-defined concepts (and Morimoto since its concept is just really good Asian food) will do great. Personally, I don't think Edison will have any problems since it has a well-defined concept.
Yeah, Boathouse is going to be the reason Paddlefish ultimately fails. STK just has never been popular at DS, almost from day one.

The Edison won't have an issue succeeding even if they have to drop the entertainment because it can still serve as a really good, steampunk-themed restaurant.

Disney will probably add a bit more to the West Side before places like Paddlefish and STK close IMO. They're slowly revamping the West Side one bit at a time, but I think they'll ramp it up if HOB pulls out. I'm shocked Bongos is still operating; it always seems empty compared to everything else nearby.

Reactions: Nick
Disney will probably add a bit more to the West Side before places like Paddlefish and STK close IMO. They're slowly revamping the West Side one bit at a time, but I think they'll ramp it up if HOB pulls out. I'm shocked Bongos is still operating; it always seems empty compared to everything else nearby.
I think Bongos is likely going to be further hurt by Jaleo moving in next door. It's been rumored for some time now that Bongos will be replaced so I won't be surprised at all if a closure were to be announced sometime this year.