Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

As for best themed land in the world... we'll see about that. I wonder what it will feel like just wandering around the land because as most know, wandering around Pandora is a quite a hollow experience.

Same with Mysterious Island. I very much equate those two as being mostly natural park-type lands. Two rides, a gift shop, a quick serve and a food cart/stand. Versus your Radiator Springs/Potter/New Orleans Square/Harambe type lands that are urban and also chock-a-block of retail and dining.

SW:GE is interesting because it's actually both. The Battle Escape End is mostly a natural setup with some photo ops and minimal retail/dining. Versus the Millennium Falcon side borrows elements of Diagon Alley. In terms of sheer retail and dining, SW:GE has >3x as much as Pandora. But, so easily do the Potter lands.

All of which is to say elements of the land should please both sets of preferences.

really? Seems to be very similar to Spiderman based on reports, but who knows. I'm pretty sure the AT AT will be the "big" AA on the ride. How do you simulate blasters without screens?

"SNW's rides just seem to go to the next level"

It's going to be mostly akin to Shanghai's Pirates, with LPS vehicles instead of a boat.

PotC: Shanghai on paper is just a ride with boats that can turn, has less AA's, more screens and is shorter than the original. Despite how it seemed, that ride in person is sublime and very much next level.

At least we aren't that far off for this next wave of big attractions!

2019 is a crazy year, 2020 is equally crazy, 2021 is Disney's 50th anniversary. There's never been a better or worst time to visit the parks unless you plan on going every year.
Thinking about that just makes me really wonder how high they can push day tickets and how crazy expensive APs will get at WDW and UOR. I mean APs already made a significant jump at UOR when VB opened.

Thinking about that just makes me really wonder how high they can push day tickets and how crazy expensive APs will get at WDW and UOR. I mean APs already made a significant jump at UOR when VB opened.

I think this year's attendance is key to what happens next year. Speaking as a Brit, I can see this year being slower than last for several reasons. Prices have shot up, I'm probably about 25% more for the same holiday in 2016, a lot of return guests could have been severely put off by the hurricane last year, I know a lot of people who got caught up in it and have sworn off returning. Brexit is a mixed bag but we're now seeing the exchange rate at it's highest since Brexit plus I think the current state of the US and the shutdown will be a boost in our favour for the exchange rate. A lot of Brits are also taking a protest against visiting the US because of Trump but that's kind of a non issue because these are people who wouldn't have visited any way but just want to voice an opinion.

Disney is going to be a huge advert with all the construction, there's always going to be a reason to return for the next 5 years. I hope that Disney sees a huge ROI here as to warrant future investment and not return to their stale state like the past 20 years.

I think this year's attendance is key to what happens next year. Speaking as a Brit, I can see this year being slower than last for several reasons. Prices have shot up, I'm probably about 25% more for the same holiday in 2016, a lot of return guests could have been severely put off by the hurricane last year, I know a lot of people who got caught up in it and have sworn off returning. Brexit is a mixed bag but we're now seeing the exchange rate at it's highest since Brexit plus I think the current state of the US and the shutdown will be a boost in our favour for the exchange rate. A lot of Brits are also taking a protest against visiting the US because of Trump but that's kind of a non issue because these are people who wouldn't have visited any way but just want to voice an opinion.

Disney is going to be a huge advert with all the construction, there's always going to be a reason to return for the next 5 years. I hope that Disney sees a huge ROI here as to warrant future investment and not return to their stale state like the past 20 years.
The last quarter and the beginning of this quarter are showing daily crowd levels that are generally above Touring Plans projections at both WDW and Universal. Though crowd levels are not actual attendance figures, they are indicators of it. WDW has less marketing specials this year than they had last year at this time when their attendance was a bit flat. That probably indicates they have healthy attendance projections. And Universal's continual increase in hotel rooms has really seemed to buttress their attendance during times of the year that were previously soft. And the US economy is still pretty steady and strong in it's seventh year of healthy expansion. My guess is that 2018 will again be strong in Orlando. Toy Story may be a skimpy land, but the popularity of the IP with kids & families, will spur attendance. Pandora, still new, will also encourage vacations as a companion to TSL. Fast & Furious and a relatively new Volcano Bay, plus a new hotel opening soon should give a spike to Universal attendance. Then in 2019 attendance should go through the roof since both Disney & Universal feeds off each other's new attractions. I see big things in the future for both resorts. Instead of only one resort adopting the philosophy of "Build it and they will come", now you have "both" resorts (Universal & WDW) that are practicing it.

The last quarter and the beginning of this quarter are showing daily crowd levels that are generally above Touring Plans projections at both WDW and Universal. Though crowd levels are not actual attendance figures, they are indicators of it. WDW has less marketing specials this year than they had last year at this time when their attendance was a bit flat. That probably indicates they have healthy attendance projections. And Universal's continual increase in hotel rooms has really seemed to buttress their attendance during times of the year that were previously soft. And the US economy is still pretty steady and strong in it's seventh year of healthy expansion. My guess is that 2018 will again be strong in Orlando. Toy Story may be a skimpy land, but the popularity of the IP with kids & families, will spur attendance. Pandora, still new, will also encourage vacations as a companion to TSL. Fast & Furious and a relatively new Volcano Bay, plus a new hotel opening soon should give a spike to Universal attendance. Then in 2019 attendance should go through the roof since both Disney & Universal feeds off each other's new attractions. I see big things in the future for both resorts. Instead of only one resort adopting the philosophy of "Build it and they will come", now you have "both" resorts (Universal & WDW) that are practicing it.

Worst case scenario, even if 2018 turns out to be a lacklustre year for both resorts, 2019 is going to be a monster for attendance. There’s too much coming for people to take the plunge if they’ve been putting it off.

Then in 2019 attendance should go through the roof since both Disney & Universal feeds off each other's new attractions. I see big things in the future for both resorts. Instead of only one resort adopting the philosophy of "Build it and they will come", now you have "both" resorts (Universal & WDW) that are practicing it.
I'm just gonna pick at this last part here because once Disney announces the opening date/timeline for SWGE, it may put off some vacations until 2020. Disneyland is going to open their SWL around Spring 2019, but DHS isn't opening theirs until Fall 2019 (and it could be late fall too). Same goes for Mickey apparently.

I'm just gonna pick at this last part here because once Disney announces the opening date/timeline for SWGE, it may put off some vacations until 2020. Disneyland is going to open their SWL around Spring 2019, but DHS isn't opening theirs until Fall 2019 (and it could be late fall too). Same goes for Mickey apparently.

This is one of the reasons why I'm heading back to the west coast next year (That and my wife wanting to go to Vegas for her 30th) and returning to Orlando in 2020 for everything else that's planned.

The shutdown is the most overstated thing in the world. The ladt shutdown was sized upon by the Obama admin to poop down National Parks and stuff. That was entirely arbitrary. Notice that no such closures are happening this time. It amounts to a delay in pay as everyone gets it back when it's over.

I hate today's media across the board. They should be calling out the stupidity of both sides on this but is polluted with bias.

The shutdown is the most overstated thing in the world. The ladt shutdown was sized upon by the Obama admin to poop down National Parks and stuff. That was entirely arbitrary. Notice that no such closures are happening this time. It amounts to a delay in pay as everyone gets it back when it's over.

I hate today's media across the board. They should be calling out the stupidity of both sides on this but is polluted with bias.
How about we not do this.

Please stay on topic and refrain from politicizing the discussion.

Umm... they are happening this time. Almost all the national parks are either unstaffed or closed and all national monuments are closed.

It seems there is no "off season" anymore...More Potter, new Star Wars, and Nintendo will only add to that