Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH) | Page 80 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Life of Pets attraction coming? (USH)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also hearing that this may be significantly smaller than any of the other plans, so take that with a grain of salt for now.

The way I can see that, is if it's more due to that they will be losing space. All I hope is for one scene in particular to not be cut from the original plans..

If they turn Baker Street into NY it seems like it would make sense to also get rid of the Parisian street and theme it towards this new Illuminations land, correct? That way that whole area flows together.

If they turn Baker Street into NY it seems like it would make sense to also get rid of the Parisian street and theme it towards this new Illuminations land, correct? That way that whole area flows together.

You mean French Street?

A part of me would think they could do some touch-up to it, but I don't think that'd be an area on the chopping block for a retheme.

What I am curious, is if they'll touch the facades facing Minion Way with something Illumination themed.

I don't believe Parisian Courtyard or French Street will be touched, but Baker Street retheme is possible. And TWD, as far as I know, is staying put albeit again, a possible retheme.

....that may just be in the cards. ;)

giphy.gif

To take this back to SLoP, as I currently look back on the original version, I do find it to be a shining light for Universal on the Classic dark ride formula. If it's anywhere near as hopeful as it was with what I have seen, the attraction will be a huge crowdpleaser, fans and GP alike.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Ah. Honestly, as long as they get rid of the helicopter in the process, all is forgiven.

The helicopter is attached to the Globe. They wouldn't be able to demo the building without removing the copter first. However, I have a feeling we'll be seeing that prop moved to either the Studio Tour or recycled for HHN every year. We've not seen the last of the infamous helicopter.

Reactions: ush.hacker
My 2 pennies...

I did see the original Sound Stage 28 concept for SLoP and it was a big budget dark ride. 2 stories tall with the queue on the 1st floor and the ride completely on the 2nd level. The ride was a trackless system which offered many new features for a theme park experience. I am concerned if this is moving into the Globe Theater for a few reasons:
1. Smaller venue
2. Lackluster experience potential
3. Complexity of build

The smaller venue could signify a cost cutting measure. This can be a good thing because USH needs a small crowd eater. I find that this area will only create more headaches to an already congested environment (Jonathan will hate me for this...) ehem...Cinnabon. The Frankenstein dock is going to be in question as the Globe Theater is a 3 level building with a kitchen, and refrigerated storage space. Is Universal willing to eliminate this dock and storage access? I think not. I would not be surprised if the building remains and SLoP is a quick install with minimal exterior remodeling.

I was really looking forward to the bigger SLoP attraction...but I will settle for something more family friendly and more attractions on the west end of the park. An Illumination Land is ideal. We all thought it was dumb to place in the Lower Lot unless the New York theme encompassed Transformers as well.

Ultimately, the win here is that we are adding ride count without losing any attraction count. The Globe Theater should have never been on the theme park property in the first place. Signs of a different time for USH.

I really like the idea of TWD being removed and the queue for SLoP being placed inside that venue. This way SLoP can take the entire footprint to its advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 pennies...

I did see the original Sound Stage 28 concept for SLoP and it was a big budget dark ride. 2 stories tall with the queue on the 1st floor and the ride completely on the 2nd level. The ride was a trackless system which offered many new features for a theme park experience. I am concerned if this is moving into the Globe Theater for a few reasons:
1. Smaller venue
2. Lackluster experience potential
3. Complexity of build

The smaller venue could signify a cost cutting measure. This can be a good thing because USH needs a small crowd eater. I find that this area will only create more headaches to an already congested environment (Jonathan will hate me for this...) ehem...Cinnabon. The Frankenstein dock is going to be in question as the Globe Theater is a 3 level building with a kitchen, and refrigerated storage space. Is Universal willing to eliminate this dock and storage access? I think not. I would not be surprised if the building remains and SLoP is a quick install with minimal exterior remodeling.

I was really looking forward to the bigger SLoP attraction...but I will settle for something more family friendly and more attractions on the west end of the park. An Illumination Land is ideal. We all thought it was dumb to place in the Lower Lot unless the New York theme encompassed Transformers as well.

Ultimately, the win here is that we are adding ride count without losing any attraction count. The Globe Theater should have never been on the theme park property in the first place. Signs of a different time for USH.

The old concept was still family friendly and more in line with a traditional dark ride than Spider-Man, for example. I don’t think anyone here can comment till we see concept art for the new version.

Reactions: Ryan
The old concept was still family friendly and more in line with a traditional dark ride than Spider-Man, for example. I don’t think anyone here can comment till we see concept art for the new version.

I will say if this is being done fairly quickly, wouldn't it make sense to adopt an existing family-style RV? That way any enchantments that are made can be made to multiple venues around the parks (or World):bolt:

I will say if this is being done fairly quickly, wouldn't it make sense to adopt an existing family-style RV? That way any enchantments that are made can be made to multiple venues around the parks (or World):bolt:

I mean the ride vehicles are the same ones used for Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, Rat, etc.

I’d like to see a coaster, but maybe along the lines of Rock’n’Rollercoaster (indoor, launched, looping, with a soundtrack component). That could fit there, as it sounds like there’s little chance of a coaster that size going in for Nintendo or anywhere else, especially with noise and height restrictions. That might be your best shot. Maybe themed to music (like Rip Ride Rocket) or even Sci-fi (it’s adjacent to Transformers and JP, which would flow a little bit better than SLOP on the lower lot between those two).

Not saying you need ten coasters to compete with Six Flags/Knotts, but one squeezed in after a bunch of family additions (Dreamworks Theater, SLOP, Nintendo) wouldn’t hurt the park, either. Especially if Mummy is axed.

For one thrill roller coaster, they might have to tear down the New York street. A thrill roller coaster would have taken as much space for it to happen. Because Universal Studios Hollywood is sandwiched between the film and TV studios, as well as corporate offices, the Studio Tour, and the Mummy and Transformers building, New York Street and other parts have to be torn down for it to happen. Since Nintendo will be at the Lower Lot and other parts of the set/offices are still needed for the Studio Tour and filming, it's just not gonna happen.

I really like the idea of TWD being removed and the queue for SLoP being placed inside that venue. This way SLoP can take the entire footprint to its advantage.

Why would Universal build TWD then tear it down after a short period of time, even though TWD is the really the most popular thing in this country? That makes no sense. USH has a proud tradition of providing horror-like mazes in a normal park operation hours for decades, and I'm pretty sure they will continue that way for a long time. There isn't really much space in the Upper Lot after Universal's House of Horror got axed for Starbucks and the Studio Store.

Why would Universal build TWD then tear it down after a short period of time, even though TWD is the really the most popular thing in this country? That makes no sense. USH has a proud tradition of providing horror-like mazes in a normal park operation hours for decades, and I'm pretty sure they will continue that way for a long time. There isn't really much space in the Upper Lot after Universal's House of Horror got axed for Starbucks and the Studio Store.

Oh you'd be surprised at what Universal would be willing to do...

Reactions: Chris
For one thrill roller coaster, they might have to tear down the New York street. A thrill roller coaster would have taken as much space for it to happen. Because Universal Studios Hollywood is sandwiched between the film and TV studios, as well as corporate offices, the Studio Tour, and the Mummy and Transformers building, New York Street and other parts have to be torn down for it to happen. Since Nintendo will be at the Lower Lot and other parts of the set/offices are still needed for the Studio Tour and filming, it's just not gonna happen.

Coasters can be compact. Look at rides like Flight of Fear at King’s Island or King’s Dominion. Or the aforementioned Rock’n’Rollercoaster. There are even smaller Infinity or Eurofighter models (like the one Knott’s is building) that can go into narrow spaces. Even Rip Ride Rocket at USF really doesn’t take much room up, with a queue on the bottom, and loading/unloading platforms above. This could also utilize the space behind Transformers, giving it an L-shaped layout that would allow maximum space. I’m not expecting anything massive, like the old Dragon Challenge layout, but something still thrilling and compact (with at least two inversions).

The tv ratings for TWD have been spiraling down the past few seasons. Not saying that justifies them tearing it down but people are definitely losing interest in the show pretty quickly. I stopped watching like 2 seasons ago because it just got boring. Again, not saying that I believe them to be tearing the attraction down but the show is definitely not as popular as it once was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.