Purge 4: The First Purge | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Purge 4: The First Purge

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ok let’s not walk down this road....

You're the boss - literally - but I would suggest that, as the theme of these films shift from what could happen to what, on maybe a lesser scale, is happening, this sort of thing is unavoidable. I mean, the first official image from the movie is designed to rile up a group of people who frankly don't need riling up. I no joke expect a scene full of polo shirts and tiki torches

Or realize not every film is made to cater to you and move on. You don't see Atheists and Satanist complaining about studios producing and distributing God Not Dead or the Passion of the Christ films. Inglorious Basterds is offensive to neo-nazi's god forbidden Universal help produce that film.

Look I’m all for diversity and having a voice in film (I worked at a movie studio for a good part of my career so far), but don’t compare Passion of the Christ or Gods Not Dead to The Purge. I’ve seen them all, and the first two are religious, but they are not saying everyone who is an atheist is a bigot (just one character in the case of Gods Not Dead).

The Purge (especially Election Year) uses it’s not subject matter as a platform to reem into anyone who is a capitalist or voted for Trump.

Not saying one can’t exist over the other, but they aren’t the same thing.

EDIT: And for the record, I’m did not vote for Trump and I’m not saying this in retaliation...I’m just calling it as it is.

Last edited:
Look I’m all for diversity and having a voice in film (I worked at a movie studio for a good part of my career so far), but don’t compare Passion of the Christ or Gods Not Dead to The Purge. I’ve seen them all, and the first two are religious, but they are not saying everyone who is an atheist is a bigot (just one character in the case of Gods Not Dead).

The Purge (especially Election Year) uses it’s not subject matter as a platform to reem into anyone who is a capitalist or voted for Trump.

Not saying one can’t exist over the other, but they aren’t the same thing.
I'm sorry, but that's misrepresenting what was said. He wasn't comparing content or quality, merely existence.

I'm sorry, but that's misrepresenting what was said. He wasn't comparing content or quality, merely existence.
No, he was talking about audiences complaining about films, and there’s a difference. Passion of the Christ doesn’t actually attack Atheists as a group. They can be angry it’s made, but the movie doesn’t broach the subject.

The Purge attacks capitalists and Republicans in the movie itself, which is why there is a divisive response. And to be fair, it’s one of the film’s direct intents as seen in the poster for this year’s movie.

Like I said, I’m not saying either film shouldn’t be made, but there’s a reason this one upsets more people.

Last edited:
No, he was talking about audiences complaining about films, and there’s a difference. Passion of the Christ doesn’t actually attack Atheists as a group. They can be angry it’s made, but the movie doesn’t broach the subject.

The Purge attacks capitalists and Republicans in the film itself, which is why there is a divisive response.

Like I said, I’m not saying either film shouldn’t be made, but there’s a reason this one upsets more people.

Considering the broad Antisemitic themes in The Passion, perhaps that's not the best example for you to use, but that's a discussion for another day.

The Purge movies certainly criticize both Republicans and capitalism, but I see it as an "if the shoe fits" scenario. I definitely understand that most people aren't inclined to self-examine in that way, but that's hardly the producers' problem.

At the end of the day though, the idea that a) this movie won't be a massive success and b) that it will lead to any more of a boycott than the toothless Hamilton one from last year is absolutely giggle-worthy.

With that, I'll be stepping out of this thread because I like Brian and don't want to ruin his breakfast. :)

Edit: kids, if you're going to use big words, spell them properly.

The Disney Company was called racist for creating "Song of the South". It made many blacks struggle with supporting Disney because of the portrayal of the main character.

While this film will make money, it disgusts me that Universal has decided to add to the divisiveness. We all know media affects peoples perception.

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be in a theater watching a movie like this. A lot of crazies from every background and political spectrum.

I'm ending it here.

Last edited:
The Disney Company was called racist for creating "Song of the South". It made many blacks struggle with supporting Disney because of the portrayal of the main character.

While this film will make money, it disgusts me that Universal has decided to add to the divisiveness. We all know media affects peoples perception.

And I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be in a theater watching a movie like this. A lot of crazies from every background and political spectrum.

I'm ending it here.

I'm gobsmacked that you just compared antebellum racism to pushback against a political ideology. Time for the ignore button.

That's enough.

Brian already warned you guys and you all seem to have just ignored it. This is not a thread to share/argue political views.

Reactions: tankart150
stop reading too much into it and taking it as a personal attack which in fact this film is not being made to attack anyone personally.

Pretty much this.

While there might have been political overtones in the last movie, this is the first time they really made a direct reference to a specific party. Secondly, it's marketing 101 - they took something recognizable and linked it to their movie for attention. Doesn't mean the plot is anti-Rep or anti-Trump.

Instead of seeing the forest for the trees, you all started playing this petty right vs left crap - which is why I said to stop.

Pretty much this.

While there might have been political overtones in the last movie, this is the first time they really made a direct reference to a specific party. Secondly, it's marketing 101 - they took something recognizable and linked it to their movie for attention. Doesn't mean the plot is anti-Rep or anti-Trump.

Instead of seeing the forest for the trees, you all started playing this petty right vs left crap - which is why I said to stop.

The advertising people should be getting a bonus for this.

Ultimately, this film won't be for everyone, but the $10m budget means they only need to make $20-25m to make a profit and that's all they need. That's 2.5m tickets sold worldwide. Not a high hurdle to jump.

Reactions: RevFreako
Sb9c9xHvE61FNkL3YhMFlcb2y2Nats3X7VelC20zbQw.jpg