Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ifrit's hint screams "Halloween" to me.

-Andy

…that actually makes a ton of sense. The new movie has Lorie Strode at around Jamie Lee’s age so there’s definitely a connection with the first two lines. I’m thinking it’s either Halloween or Stranger Things(which has a very famous strange little girl)

I'm surprised that HHN is not testing the 'nightly event' for a period of 2 weeks before going all out. While they tested in Mardi Gras, it's a completely different event.
From their perspective, and looking at from a logistical perspective, not really. It requires an influx of seasonal performers layered on top of normal operations, resourcing and supporting pop-up vendors and servicing props while the park continues regular operations. They treat Mardi Gras, Halloween, and Christmas as similar things in how they operate.

THAT'S what they're testing: can the park support the logistics and personnel concerns of a nightly event. It's not about the crowds, because everyone is confident the market exist to get people in the door. Testing the logistics for two weeks isn't the same as the six weeks Mardi Gras because, when it comes to something like this, resources (especially people) are easier to scale than time.

They did sort of test it as a nightly event (from the performers standpoint) during 27. There was a period of time where the ent went on for 7 straight days near the end, the first time in HHN's history they've done that long of a stretch. It tested all of the cast from a commitment perspective as well as fatigue and just generally staying healthy.

They did sort of test it as a nightly event (from the performers standpoint) during 27. There was a period of time where the ent went on for 7 straight days near the end, the first time in HHN's history they've done that long of a stretch. It tested all of the cast from a commitment perspective as well as fatigue and just generally staying healthy.
Which is only a part of it. If they go nightly for 6 weeks, they have to consider total hours worked. Seven hours a night (5:30 to 12:30), seven days a week is 49 hours, and there’s an argument that would require overtime. Peak nights put them over 50 hours a week. They snuck around it last year because of how Universal weeks work (the workweek for them starts and ends in the middle of the week, so going Tuesday-Monday (like last year) covers 2 time-keeping weeks. And Mardi Gras performers don’t work 8 hour shifts.

Their “swing” pull is going to explode if this happens, and most primary performers will work five nights a week.

Which is only a part of it. If they go nightly for 6 weeks, they have to consider total hours worked. Seven hours a night (5:30 to 12:30), seven days a week is 49 hours, and there’s an argument that would require overtime. Peak nights put them over 50 hours a week. They snuck around it last year because of how Universal weeks work (the workweek for them starts and ends in the middle of the week, so going Tuesday-Monday (like last year) covers 2 time-keeping weeks. And Mardi Gras performers don’t work 8 hour shifts.

Their “swing” pull is going to explode if this happens, and most primary performers will work five nights a week.
Employees are paid overtime for anytime worked past 40 hours during HHN.

Employees are paid overtime for anytime worked past 40 hours during HHN.
But we can’t assume Universal is interested in paying over 80 hours of time and a half for every performer through the course of the event (10-12 hours of OT a week)

From my understanding, they’d essentially double the cast and they’d be given shifts for their roles. The days of expecting performers to do six or seven days straight would go by the wayside. It leads to healthier, more energetic employees too.

Reactions: SeventyOne
But we can’t assume Universal is interested in paying over 80 hours of time and a half for every performer through the course of the event (10-12 hours of OT a week)

From my understanding, they’d essentially double the cast and they’d be given shifts for their roles. The days of expecting performers to do six or seven days straight would go by the wayside. It leads to healthier, more energetic employees too.
Oh, they would pretty much hire anyone with a pulse (as they already do). They would need a ton of extra bodies if they do every night as not only does Universal not want to pay a ton of overtime, but for the mental health and the stamina of those that even would be able to theoretically show up everyday... you need a day off. One cannot be expected to work 45 straight days of 8-9 hour shifts nightly without days off.

Honestly though, we haven't been far from HHN going nightly since Wednesdays became a standard thing in October. From October on, Scareactors are already working 5 straight days up until hell week when the 7 straight days hit.

I could also see them splitting the casts into Thursday-Saturday with say 70% of their "experienced" scareactors and then Sunday-Wednesday with the other 30%. The rest would be new casts. That would put all of the actors at around 30-35 hours. Then they may have a day of overlap or on call shifts for call outs.

I could also see them splitting the casts into Thursday-Saturday with say 70% of their "experienced" scareactors and then Sunday-Wednesday with the other 30%. The rest would be new casts. That would put all of the actors at around 30-35 hours. Then they may have a day of overlap or on call shifts for call outs.
Yeah... They really don't care about experience that much when they're casting roles. It's very much, "Do they fit the costume?" I really cannot emphasize enough how impersonal Universal cast the event. They literally don't cast about 20%-40% of vets during reunion auditions because *shrug*

I would also expect peak nights to be split. One set would likely be Tuesday-Friday and Saturday-Tuesday. The Tuesday itself would alternate.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
You could've worked all 27 HHNs and they wouldn't care for casting. The audition is a type out. They are looking at if you look the part and most of all, if your height and weight fit the character.

I know some scareactors who got cast as Jack in the 25th anniversary house. It was their first time auditioning. Some "experienced" types got put in lesser roles or not cast at all that year simply because there wasn't as much that fit their "look".

It's common (especially in the last few years) for vets with over 10 years experience not getting cast. In 2011, there was a bit of a kerfuffle when one of the remaining 3 original performers (did Fright Night and every year since) didn't get cast. Most of those old schools quit on their own. Their casting was (assumed to be) guaranteed. Universal doesn't care.