Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBCU sells stake in Oriental DreamWorks; it will be renamed Pearl Studio

Jun 5, 2017
China's CMC Takes Full Ownership of NBCUniversal's Oriental DreamWorks | Hollywood Reporter

Universal is out of Oriental DreamWorks now, they've sold their 45% stake to the majority partner CMC.

This means that Everest will be the only remaining movie that they collaborate on, set for release next year.

It's a sensible move given that Universal is focused on releasing 2 DreamWorks and 2 Illumination movies a year starting in 2019. They already have enough animation output to not need the Chinese joint venture.

This also might be bad news for Laika in the future; not sure if the FF-Laika deal is renewed.

Last edited:
I believe that after Boxtrolls Focus renewed with Laika for a two picture deal. Those two films being Kubo and whatever the next film will be. It would be sad to loose Laika's output but it doesn't seem like Universal has any desire to use them for Parks & Resorts despite how well received the Laika exhibit was when it was done in Hollywood.

I believe that after Boxtrolls Focus renewed with Laika for a two picture deal. Those two films being Kubo and whatever the next film will be. It would be sad to loose Laika's output but it doesn't seem like Universal has any desire to use them for Parks & Resorts despite how well received the Laika exhibit was when it was done in Hollywood.
Yeah, I just don't think Universal is going to want to be putting competing animation on their slate when they have the calendar saturated with DW/Illumination releasing a movie in nearly every quarter going forwards.

I think we'll see the same situation come out of the Disney-Fox merger; I can't imagine them keeping Blue Sky when they already own Disney Animation and Pixar.

Poor Laika. Dreamworks and Illuminations films are great and all- but Laika is on another level that Disney and Pixar can't even get close to touching.

Watched Kubo again a couple days ago- Zootopia beating that still blows my mind.
Although, not really, considering the Disney bias and the fact a large sect of the voters likely never even watched Kubo.
Had they watched it, it would have won.

It seems Dreamworks is still involved with producing films with Pearl Studios however they will not be the main distributors....

“Television, digital, consumer products — we see all of these as offshoots of our feature films,” says Chou. “DreamWorks is no longer part owner of the company, but we still work very closely collaborating with them. Obviously ‘Abominable’ is a co-production with them and is being produced on their campus. I think that relationship will continue but a big difference in our strategy is that we’re able to go to any company that we want for future projects. I think the upside of that is that we’re able to go wherever is hospitable for that project. Now, for example, “Over the Moon” is much more suited for Netflix and we’re able to do that.”

At a brand promotion for Dreamworks in China....there are no planned co-ops in the future between DWA and Pearl after Abomination, however Dreamworks Animation is in charge of overseas distribution outside China.