Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

They changed the hours from 5pm to 8pm starting Mar 17th. for.the Spring Break season. This benefits me as I'm at Cabana Bay the 17th thru 20th.

Other priorities first. Think expecting that within 6 months is a little crazy. I wouldn’t expect an announcement until closer to the year anniversary.

I wouldn’t have expected it had they not come out and said they were about to start the expansion just after opening.
Giving a preview to a reporter from CNN, Dale Mason, vice-president and executive art director with Universal Creative, let slip that an expansion is in the works. “We have a pretty darn good idea of what we’ll do,” said Mason. “It could happen quicker than we think: it could start in three weeks.”
Then, after hitting capacity by 9:30am- Every. Single. Morning. One would assume it was a no brainer.
They set the expectation, not me.

Regardless, what priorities? This winter, they had F&F finishing up, Dragon Challenge/FF plot, T2 show replacement, Adventura and the new lagoon performance at USF.

Which of those, outside of DC/FF, would counter the VB construction? And it’s not like a VB expansion would take significant construction time- they could’ve completed it this winter during the slow months alone.

Budget? Again- capacity at 9:30am and that’d increase capacity. They’d make their money back year one or two.

Truthfully, there’s not a time they would be less busy than they are now. Will they be less busy with MoM, Shrek, Nintendo, W&W hotels and more being under construction? Or when Park 4 happens?

Sorry, but I see no legitimate excuse here outside of waiting for some technology that doesn’t exist yet, which I doubt.

I wouldn’t have expected it had they not come out and said they were about to start the expansion just after opening.

Then, after hitting capacity by 9:30am- Every. Single. Morning. One would assume it was a no brainer.

Regardless, what priorities? This winter, they had F&F finishing up, Dragon Challenge/FF plot, T2 show replacement, Adventura and the new lagoon performance at USF.

Which of those, outside of DC/FF, would counter the VB construction? And it’s not like a VB expansion would take significant construction time- they could’ve completed it this winter during the slow months alone.

Budget? Again- capacity at 9:30am and that’d increase capacity. They’d make their money back year one or two.

Truthfully, there’s not a time they would be less busy than they are now. Will they be less busy with MoM, Shrek, Nintendo, W&W hotels and more being under construction? Or when Park 4 happens?

Sorry, but I see no legitimate excuse here outside of waiting for some technology that doesn’t exist yet, which I doubt.

They also said Potter Phase 3 was happening 4 years ago and here we are....

But they need more man power. They still have people working on those projects regardless of how "big" you feel they are. They couldn't finish VB due to so many projects happening. I can wait.

And yes, budget. Regardless of how much money they make or could throw at it, they still have to follow a yearly budget. We know Disney has the money - but they budget their construction longer so the money can stretch over longer.

Furthermore, I don’t recall Universal saying anything in any casual capacity saying an expansion was happening right after opening. I think that was forum speculation.

Furthermore, I don’t recall Universal saying anything in any casual capacity saying an expansion was happening right after opening. I think that was forum speculation.

I quoted Dale Mason in my post you responded to saying “it could happen quicker than we think: it can start in three weeks”

So, yes, could and can are the key words- meaning he’s not wrong.
But it was certainly more concrete than our normal forum speculation.

I quoted Dale Mason in my post you responded to saying “it could happen quicker than we think: it can start in three weeks”

So, yes, could and can are the key words- meaning he’s not wrong.
But it was certainly more concrete than our normal forum speculation.

Oops. Glanced over that quote. Sorry. Either way, we’re still within a year of opening. If expansion happens by the year mark, that’s still pretty damn quick. I still stand by expecting any thing sooner is expecting a bit much, regardless of Mason’s hyperbolic quote. Guess we’re gonna have to agree to disagree here.

I do want to add that money means nothing if the resources are not there. I'm talking steel, ProSlide parts, construction workers, concrete, and more. Money makes things go quicker to an extent.

If VB was hitting capacity at 9.30am every day, expansion might be nice but they want to ride that hype train for as long as possible. If they expand and then have nothing else to add, the crowds will drop off at some point with little to fix it. Having full capacity for months and then having the ability to add a new ride or two and then have that hype all over again is a better option.

I do want to add that money means nothing if the resources are not there. I'm talking steel, ProSlide parts, construction workers, concrete, and more. Money makes things go quicker to an extent.
I do wonder if Universal will use ProSlide in the inevitable expansion. It seemed like they had a lot of problems post launch.

It's quite possible that they want to make sure it wasn't just opening month's crowds that were making it hit capacity daily and that they are going to see the same levels over time before adding on.

It looks like quite a sizeable expansion plot but thy still need to use the space wisely. I’d like to see atleast one Tower of multiple slides as it takes up minimal room and will greatly help the park. I’ve always thought the park needed more to do outside of slide times, but I can’t think of what that could be in the water park context...a bubbling volcano spa area could possibly help the park on colder evenings?

I’ve always thought the park needed more to do outside of slide times, but I can’t think of what that could be in the water park context...a bubbling volcano spa area could possibly help the park on colder evenings?

I agree with this for sure. I’m sure there’s a reason these water parks don’t have hot areas like that- namely, cost I would think- not to mention their lack of appeal in the summer. But it would be fantastic in a winter months- especially if it’s adults only. Teens can go hit up the slides in January while mom and dad drink some $14 booze in the giant spa tub.

They could do a warm pool, sort of like the Bubbly Wubbly Pool was at Alton Towers Waterpark. Or they could build something similar to Wild Water Rapids at Center Parcs.

Yeah...they’d only have to turn the heat up when it’s cold. Daily it could still run as a Relaxing jacuzzi.

It felt like a lot of the critiques this summer were that guests had to wait to do anything exciting. Families at water parks can only relax for so long. They go for the slides and the excitement. I think the caves in the volcano were the right idea, but there's not too much to really explore in those, right? I think if they added a little more interactive/explorative caves and maybe a small cliff jumping/zipline pool, it would really help satisfy those that don't want to lounge by the pool or (wait in line to) float in the lazy river all day. And throw up an open air theatre with a high-energy show that can run pretty continuously throughout the day. One of VB's largest flaw was their concept that waiting for slides didn't really feel like waiting, but guests still felt like they were waiting.

And then obviously add at least one more high capacity tower to help with the wait, but the flaws with Tapu need to be attacked from both directions, imo: Shorter waits and more enjoyable waits

It felt like a lot of the critiques this summer were that guests had to wait to do anything exciting. Families at water parks can only relax for so long. They go for the slides and the excitement. I think the caves in the volcano were the right idea, but there's not too much to really explore in those, right? I think if they added a little more interactive/explorative caves and maybe a small cliff jumping/zipline pool, it would really help satisfy those that don't want to lounge by the pool or (wait in line to) float in the lazy river all day. And throw up an open air theatre with a high-energy show that can run pretty continuously throughout the day. One of VB's largest flaw was their concept that waiting for slides didn't really feel like waiting, but guests still felt like they were waiting.

And then obviously add at least one more high capacity tower to help with the wait, but the flaws with Tapu need to be attacked from both directions, imo: Shorter waits and more enjoyable waits
Another play/chill area is very much needed, great point

I would like to see a couple of attractions that require no wait

Does anybody know the crowd levels for this sunday? I'm going this sunday so I'd appreciate a response before then.