Tower of Terror | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Tower of Terror

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have two thoughts one this:

1) I feel most people these days know of Twilight Zone because of this ride
2) Twilight Zone is not a Disney IP, and therefore has no synergy usefullness
2.1) A re-theme like something at DS would not work as IPs are king here in Orlando

Just thinking out loud...In a perfect world I would leave this untouched...The addition of Guardians to two parks cheapens the experience IMO...And no, it's not the same as Harry Potter in two parks, those lands provide very different experiences

I have two thoughts one this:

1) I feel most people these days know of Twilight Zone because of this ride
2) Twilight Zone is not a Disney IP, and therefore has no synergy usefullness
2.1) A re-theme like something at DS would not work as IPs are king here in Orlando

Just thinking out loud...In a perfect world I would leave this untouched...The addition of Guardians to two parks cheapens the experience IMO...And no, it's not the same as Harry Potter in two parks, those lands provide very different experiences
As a response to #2.1...

Yes, IPs are certainly king in Orlando and in the theme park world in general. However, the way Twilight Zone is used is barely using it as an IP (even though it is one) and actually using it as more of an original. It's mostly using the IP to add atmosphere rather than using the IP as a theme park draw. That's why I consider potentially removing the TZ theme something that could happen without disrupting the current ride experience, unlike Mission: Breakout.

I'd rather they not touch DHS tower. That being said.....I'd donate to a GoFundMe to turn it into Young Frankenstein before we lose Mel Brooks :lol:

Reactions: Mad Dog
The issue isn't the loss of the IP but the reason why the theme works is it fits the Hollywood Boulevard theme of the road. A haunted Moroccan style hotel in Hollywood was the theme and the twilight zone allowed them that.

Hightower hotel is based off a traveler and his treasures which thus clashes with the thematic theme of the area which means they should redo or rename that entire area.

As a response to #2.1...

Yes, IPs are certainly king in Orlando and in the theme park world in general. However, the way Twilight Zone is used is barely using it as an IP (even though it is one) and actually using it as more of an original. It's mostly using the IP to add atmosphere rather than using the IP as a theme park draw. That's why I consider potentially removing the TZ theme something that could happen without disrupting the current ride experience, unlike Mission: Breakout.
Yes, you are dead on...I was meaning more from a Disney's point of view...It makes more sense to redo it with an IP than to retheme it to the DS version...Personally I would say just leave it alone as it is, but that doesn't sound like an option

If anything should get a re-theme, it's RnRC

I think Guardians trumps Tower of Terror and that is one of my favourites of all time.

The fact is though is that Guardians won’t work with ToT at DHS, even putting the IP aside, i don’t see how it could physically work and that makes switching the IP an even greater challenge and open to more backlash.

Is this because of a better drop profile and random one? Because that can be done with TZ too.

Is this because of a better drop profile and random one? Because that can be done with TZ too.

Hypothetically, if they were to do Mb, they would also need to make changes to the tracked layout portion of Tower of Terror at DHS, and while in theory it could be done for WDS, I don't see how it could even work. Not to mention, that DCA uses "randomized" versions with different things playing on the screens.

I would think I'd they were to do that, they'd have to do all new filming for the actors, to match DCAs in a way.

Hypothetically, if they were to do Mb, they would also need to make changes to the tracked layout portion of Tower of Terror at DHS, and while in theory it could be done for WDS, I don't see how it could even work. Not to mention, that DCA uses "randomized" versions with different things playing on the screens.

I would think I'd they were to do that, they'd have to do all new filming for the actors, to match DCAs in a way.

I'm talking about the "MB is better than ToT at DCA" discussion.

The issue isn't the loss of the IP but the reason why the theme works is it fits the Hollywood Boulevard theme of the road. A haunted Moroccan style hotel in Hollywood was the theme and the twilight zone allowed them that.

Hightower hotel is based off a traveler and his treasures which thus clashes with the thematic theme of the area which means they should redo or rename that entire area.

Yes, the other Towers were tacked on additions. DHS' is the point of Sunset so much that RnR doesn't fit at all.

Mission Breakout is non stop for the second it starts, add the music, the scenes and drops from the get go and I think it’s a better overall package.

This can’t be replicated in DHS because you need to go through the scenes first before getting into the drop tower. Plus you only have two drop shafts at DHS compared to three every where else.

Mission Breakout is non stop for the second it starts, add the music, the scenes and drops from the get go and I think it’s a better overall package.

This can’t be replicated in DHS because you need to go through the scenes first before getting into the drop tower. Plus you only have two drop shafts at DHS compared to three every where else.
I agree. There is absolutely no question that MB is better than DCAs Tower was. Again, I wouldn't want it to come to DHS though as it would look even more out of place than @quinnmac000 mentions Hightower Hotel would on Sunset. DHS is also the superior ride, so adding an IP in that manor is very unnecessary.

If they remove TZ, there's many ways they can still make the ride fit Sunset. Idk, right now i'm just resigned to the IP leaving so i'm just hoping whatever happens is as good of a thematic fit as possible.

I agree. There is absolutely no question that MB is better than DCAs Tower was. Again, I wouldn't want it to come to DHS though as it would look even more out of place than @quinnmac000 mentions Hightower Hotel would on Sunset. DHS is also the superior ride, so adding an IP in that manor is very unnecessary.

If they remove TZ, there's many ways they can still make the ride fit Sunset. Idk, right now i'm just resigned to the IP leaving so i'm just hoping whatever happens is as good of a thematic fit as possible.

Maybe we're overthinking all this. They could simply just remove any reference to the Twilight Zone. The story is original and has no real tie in to the Twilight Zone anyway so it can stay. The theming can stay, the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign can stay, they remove Rod Serling from the intro video and replace the window flying through space and the 5th dimension with a new scene and hey presto, you're done.

Disney could actually very easily come out ahead with this as they're removing very little and can 'plus' the ride by potentially adding two new scenes (both of which could be easily added without shutting the ride).

Maybe we're overthinking all this. They could simply just remove any reference to the Twilight Zone. The story is original and has no real tie in to the Twilight Zone anyway so it can stay. The theming can stay, the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign can stay, they remove Rod Serling from the intro video and replace the window flying through space and the 5th dimension with a new scene and hey presto, you're done.

Disney could actually very easily come out ahead with this as they're removing very little and can 'plus' the ride by potentially adding two new scenes (both of which could be easily added without shutting the ride).

Thats the best case option.

Reactions: Ashhanbre and Nick

This is what I have been thinking, but failing to put into words correctly. I only mentioned the TDS version as it’s the only Tower without an IP. Was never truly meaning they should do it.

Reactions: Scott W.

What I mean is, if the DCA ToT changed their drop profile to something like MB would that be as good or better than what MB turned out to be?

What I mean is, if the DCA ToT changed their drop profile to something like MB would that be as good or better than what MB turned out to be?

I don’t think it would work. Part of the charm about ToT is the build up and the showscenes are too slow to work with the faster pace that MB uses.

The music is the other factor, MB has a party atmosphere that everybody can get involved in that extends beyond the fake reality that ToT is trying to make believe.

No.

MB sincerely improved the attraction. It may not make sense if you haven’t been on it (or both iterations of DCAs version even), but simply randomizing DCAs ToT wouldn’t have been the same improvement imo bc as Scott said, it’s just a much more energetic and fun atmosphere.