Recent Debates/Problems/Etc on Forum | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Recent Debates/Problems/Etc on Forum

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We don't know what the middle ground is yet but are discussing it now, along with other issues - but this was the most relevant due to the recent pushback. The way we see it: Is the off topic discussion of filming your life vs living it worth having in the New Harry Potter Coaster Experience thread? At what point is discussing the election map in HoP stupid and inflammatory vs worthwhile?

This is an easy way to answer, election maps are not even tangentially related to theme parks in any way shape or form. Plus political discussions turn ugly quick I would lock it down pretty quickly, while the filming your life vs living it, well that IS related to theme parks and worthwhile to have a bit of discussion about. That discussion to me was enjoyable to read and related to experiences I had on Kong with filming. The conversation did move on rather quickly back on topic by itself.

A few posts off topic IMO is not big deal, when it becomes pages of off-topic then yeah it is a good idea to nudge everyone back on topic and afterwards poster recognize that my bad I should not have kept on the convo that long. Maybe as mods experiment with setting internal standard of questions.
Such as is this related to theme parks at all? How off topic is this? Are newer posters responding to it? Then depending on a set of criteria limit the amount of off topic posts to X amount. Standardize the process.

This accomplishes a few things, no one feels like they are getting picked on individually if everything is applicable across the board. Also if those that don't mind the off-topic discussions they know they have a few posts to talk about this then time to move on. Those that really don't like it will know hey there is a set limit let me just skip down a some posts.

Moderating a forum is definitely not easy and like you said there is no way to make everyone happy.. Face it , it's like herding cats sometimes, but I have faith in you guys! This site is awesome and I am sure you guys will continue to make it even better!

And a big :thumbsup: for already instituting changes!

All, one of the things we've discussed is better communication about our moderating decisions. Instead of only deleting/moving/etc posts and topics we will explain why it was done. This will prevent another Pixar Pier/John Lassetter situation from happening (for transparency, that should have spun out with Mad Dog's post into a new topic instead of deleting).

We are still actively looking into how to promote trip advice and discussions more.

I know it’s been asked but I can’t remember if it’s been answered. Is there any way for the mods to highlight certain posts within a thread to make things a bit easier for people just looking for info?

I know, major announcements are getting added to the first post.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
I know it’s been asked but I can’t remember if it’s been answered. Is there any way for the mods to highlight certain posts within a thread to make things a bit easier for people just looking for info?

I know, major announcements are getting added to the first post.
Almost all the "released official info" is on the Home page. If it's not there it's probably just speculation and/or rumor anyway.

Almost all the "released official info" is on the Home page. If it's not there it's probably just speculation and/or rumor anyway.

The info is nice to have but the speculation is half the fun and there’s always details that you’ll miss that other posters will spot. If the post was highlighted, you could quickly navigate to that point in the thread.

I have felt a difference since I first started lurking at OU. I don't think it's really been a negative change, I've always just perceived it as OU growing up into IU.

OU always felt...counter culture (for a lack of another term). That might have been a perception we all created, talking about how Universal didn't really notice us, how other sites were invited to press events, etc. With that counter culture, we seemed a bit more...free. Maybe we weren't, maybe we as a group just cared less about perception from outsiders or new people. We were welcoming because we thought it was cool that someone else joined. I was so happy to stumble upon what I perceived as this hidden gem.

Then there was a shift. People started getting followed in the parks. HTF, Bob and others were getting noticed. Caution crept in. I can't see a blog post like HTF's Kong piece happening now. Universal is watching and there are real life ramifications for the site and those on it. The site grew and matured and became a go to for the internet. Teebin took over the mantel for HTF, but in the current situation, he has to be cautious. He has to be the Cheshire Cat.

The discrepancy you're facing as mods now is between those who were "raised" in the era of that Kong Post and those who have joined more recently. People in the former column, seem to relish the days living in that dark corner of the internet. What put this place on the map ended up shining a light on it and in doing so, eliminated that dark corner. Some are struggling to adjust. Brown Shirt Universal and other sites are no longer "the man", so people seem to be rebelling against mods. Right after the transition to IU, when you were finding a way to balance this new mission statement, the need for help, and the merging of the staffs - that was really when it seemed to hit a head. People weren't really upset by the doubling of information, or the fact that Hollywood was sharing equal billing, it just seemed that light got a lot brighter. IU was fully legitimized. People need to get used to the changes, but I love that you are loosening up on moderation.

Off topic discussion is where the community aspect can be rebuilt. I love the idea of, "Does this have to do with theme parks?" - "Have at it for a bit." "Is this truly controversial?" (Not Screeeenz controversial, something more so) "Shut it down."

I appreciate what this site has done, what it has become, and where it is going. It's been an amazing transformation, but I certainly don't envy you. The creation of this whole thread harkens back to the old days, and I think that's fantastic.

Last edited:
We are still actively looking into how to promote trip advice and discussions more.
Speaking personally, I feel like the main site is a little disconnected from the forums. The main site has some terrific content (please read the Simpsons USH review everyone!!), but I have the forums bookmarked. I think having a shared header (with links to forums, news, podcast, features) on both the main site and the forums would help them feel more connected.

I personally think the main site could be used to drive a lot of trip planning discussion. I try to visit the trip planning part of the forums, but there isn’t a lot of content. I’d love to post comments on articles about planning a trip to the parks. I’d also be happy to contribute trip planning articles if you’d let me :)

Reactions: Coasted
Speaking personally, I feel like the main site is a little disconnected from the forums. The main site has some terrific content (please read the Simpsons USH review everyone!!), but I have the forums bookmarked. I think having a shared header (with links to forums, news, podcast, features) on both the main site and the forums would help them feel more connected.

I personally think the main site could be used to drive a lot of trip planning discussion. I try to visit the trip planning part of the forums, but there isn’t a lot of content. I’d love to post comments on articles about planning a trip to the parks. I’d also be happy to contribute trip planning articles if you’d let me :)

There is a reason for it. If you notice, it's forums.iu not iu.com/forums. It is not an extension of IU, but a separate entity. They are under one umbrella but are run individually.

I have felt a difference since I first started lurking at OU. I don't think it's really been a negative change, I've always just perceived it as OU growing up into IU.

OU always felt...counter culture (for a lack of another term). That might have been a perception we all created, talking about how Universal didn't really notice us, how other sites were invited to press events, etc. With that counter culture, we seemed a bit more...free. Maybe we weren't, maybe we as a group just cared less about perception from outsiders or new people. We were welcoming because we thought it was cool that someone else joined. I was so happy to stumble upon what I perceived as this hidden gem.

Then there was a shift. People started getting followed in the parks. HTF, Bob and others were getting noticed. Caution crept in. I can't see a blog post like HTF's Kong piece happening now. Universal is watching and there are real life ramifications for the site and those on it. The site grew and matured and became a go to for the internet. Teebin took over the mantel for HTF, but in the current situation, he has to be cautious. He has to be the Cheshire Cat.

The discrepancy you're facing as mods now is between those who were "raised" in the era of that Kong Post and those who have joined more recently. People in the former column, seem to relish the days living in that dark corner of the internet. What put this place on the map ended up shining a light on it and in doing so, eliminated that dark corner. Some are struggling to adjust. Brown Shirt Universal and other sites are no longer "the man", so people seem to be rebelling against mods. Right after the transition to IU, when you were finding a way to balance this new mission statement, the need for help, and the merging of the staffs - that was really when it seemed to hit a head. People weren't really upset by the doubling of information, or the fact that Hollywood was sharing equal billing, it just seemed that light got a lot brighter. IU was fully legitimized. People need to get used to the changes, but I love that you are loosening up on moderation.

Off topic discussion is where the community aspect can be rebuilt. I love the idea of, "Does this have to do with theme parks?" - "Have at it for a bit." "Is this truly controversial?" (Not Screeeenz controversial, something more so) "Shut it down."

I appreciate what this site has done, what it has become, and where it is going. It's been an amazing transformation, but I certainly don't envy you. The creation of this whole thread harkens back to the old days, and I think that's fantastic.

There is definitely a difference between now and then. Reading through the Diagon thread, there was leaked images of the coaster trains about 2 years before the land opened. Compare that to the Hulk coaster train leak and it was shut down immediately.

It's just the way things are now and the only reason it's happening is because the site is getting bigger and better known. Universal will be looking to blame somebody for the leaks showing up and they will go after the website owner.

Sorry for bumping this thread but it seems to me that after the “airing of grievances” on this forum has been a lot better. Off topic discussions remain until they get to far and things aren’t over moderated, keep up the good work as it seems we have found our groove in the forums.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping this thread but it seems to me that after the “airing of grievances” this forum has been a lot better. Off topic discussions remain until they get to far and things aren’t over moderated, keep up the good work as it seems we have found our groove in the forums.

I think that we have something talk about is also helping things. News has been that stagnant, that all the new rumours are spicing things up and even with all the opposing views, everybody is doing this forum proud by being polite and respectful.

From my perspective, moderators seem to be scared of negativity on the forums recently. It's bad when someone continuously hammers the point, but an attraction that is negatively received will have a more negative discussion around it. It can't and shouldn't be avoided.

Members are starting to get to the point of continuously hammering their point, but this only started very recently while moderators have been commenting about it for a while.

From my perspective, moderators seem to be scared of negativity on the forums recently. It's bad when someone continuously hammers the point, but an attraction that is negatively received will have a more negative discussion around it. It can't and shouldn't be avoided.

Members are starting to get to the point of continuously hammering their point, but this only started very recently while moderators have been commenting about it for a while.

At the same time, whats the point of relentless negativity. It just makes people who actually enjoyed the ride not say anything and you end up like other forums where people don't post their actual opinions.

Reactions: Quint