Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 75 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm a bit confused though with the cost of the area being over $200 million. I know obviously you have a clear theming difference between the UK 2018 coasters (icon and wicker man) but they cost just £16 million, a huge difference in the cost. As I have said, they are still just coasters rather than areas but I simply cannot see how TSL is costing so much. I can imagine, hardware wise, Slinky Dog probably costs a maximum of $25 million and the alien ride a maximum of $5 million, so how the area total cost is so high is beyond me. It's not even like there are any major animatronics or rock work sections.

I'm a bit confused though with the cost of the area being over $200 million. I know obviously you have a clear theming difference between the UK 2018 coasters (icon and wicker man) but they cost just £16 million, a huge difference in the cost. As I have said, they are still just coasters rather than areas but I simply cannot see how TSL is costing so much. I can imagine, hardware wise, Slinky Dog probably costs a maximum of $25 million and the alien ride a maximum of $5 million, so how the area total cost is so high is beyond me. It's not even like there are any major animatronics or rock work sections.
The actual coaster only cost about $25M, you're right on the nose.

Most of the cost wasn't even on what our final product is as far as rides. It was on all the demolition they had to do, reconfiguration of TSMM queue and I also believe that the TSMM third track is in this budget. Moving of backstage buildings was also in the budget.

just curious because i dont know
how are they behind schedule when they ve said from the beginning Summer 2018?

not that this shouldnt have been done several years ago
They've said Summer 2018 all along to be safe in case this very thing happened of falling behind. They had planned on opening for Memorial Day. I've seen internal memos saying as such.

Hollywood Studios is slowly going to be my favorite theme park of all time. My favorite animated film is Toy Story and live action franchise is Star Wars. It's a shame that Disney can't use Spiderman in Florida. Otherwise, this park would of been an instant classic for me. I feel bad for the people that aren't excited for this project. I think it's going to be a lot of fun and a much needed expansion to this park.

Hollywood Studios is slowly going to be my favorite theme park of all time. My favorite animated film is Toy Story and live action franchise is Star Wars. It's a shame that Disney can't use Spiderman in Florida. Otherwise, this park would of been an instant classic for me. I feel bad for the people that aren't excited for this project. I think it's going to be a lot of fun and a much needed expansion to this park.
The problem is that the day Galaxy's Edge opens, the park will need to be expanded again.

All parks face expansion problems.
To an extent.

DHS and DAK's problems are at extreme levels though and need to be addressed right away. Like, they should announce a new ride for DHS before Star Wars even opens that's how bad the crowding will be in the park due to the lack of attractions.

I expect MuppetVision to actually play to full shows and have long lines when Galaxy's Edge opens.

To an extent.

DHS and DAK's problems are at extreme levels though and need to be addressed right away. Like, they should announce a new ride for DHS before Star Wars even opens that's how bad the crowding will be in the park due to the lack of attractions.

I expect MuppetVision to actually play to full shows and have long lines when Galaxy's Edge opens.

Fret not. I'm sure they'll come up with something else to project onto the Chinese Theater.

Reactions: ChristopherSE
ah gotcha
i dont see that as way behind
thanks
I mean, it could be worse, but the land is so damn simple. It's head scratching to me why it's taking so long for much of this. As recent as November there was talk of them hoping to get this in soft opening by April.

Like, they should announce a new ride for DHS before Star Wars even opens

Yes, they should...
giphy.gif

just curious because i dont know
how are they behind schedule when they ve said from the beginning Summer 2018?

not that this shouldnt have been done several years ago

I've seen this pop up a few times, most recently about SDMT from Disney fans. From a customer perspective you are correct, it's not delayed because of the external target of "summer 2018".

All projects have start and completion dates run by project management and/or engineering. This dictates a schedule of when milestones must be hit to finish the project on time. When we're talking about a project not being on time this is what we mean, the plans have fallen behind for reasons that will be looked at during a project wrap up meeting. These issues could be scope change, construction issues, vendor issues, and more.

A company that doesn't hit projects on time to internal projections has some issues that need to be resolved. Missing targets means you incur penalties from sponsors or the end customer (TDO/DHS). Missing targets affects quarterly profits, TSL is missing a month of income that will affect other parts of the business through 2018.

To be fair, I hear the new Costuming/Wardrobe building was lumped into TSL's price tag, which isn't really fair when talking numbers.

Cost overruns in those places hurt the land I imagine. But on the flip side Disney shouldn't have stood up on stage at D23 calling it as expensive and large in scope as Carsland if most of the budget wasn't for the land itself. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Cost overruns in those places hurt the land I imagine. But on the flip side Disney shouldn't have stood up on stage at D23 calling it as expensive and large in scope as Carsland if most of the budget wasn't for the land itself. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
But what if it's a Disney Princess Snowflake Cupcake.
disney-frozen-cupcakes.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, I hear the new Costuming/Wardrobe building was lumped into TSL's price tag, which isn't really fair when talking numbers.
Things like moving the Creative Costuming building from it's old location on the DHS Lot was made part of the price as well as TSMM third track I believe, too (correct me if i'm wrong on the third track).

That was the most ridiculous thing comparing it to Cars Land and unfortunately I can see how some people that like Toy Story and don't follow things outside of what Disney releases may think "Wow, this is going to be an awesome land".

Then they get there and it's just sad trombone.

Last edited:
Interesting the difference in reaction from those on here comapred to on Facebook. People are excited for this area to open.

Interesting the difference in reaction from those on here comapred to on Facebook. People are excited for this area to open.

But that plays into what Nick said right above you. How are they going to react once they actually get into the land?