Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Black Panther

Thought it was great, but flawed.

The plot was a bit predictable and that the action was for the most part, not Marvel's best (which I'm shocked about, given Ryan Coogler's fantastic work with Creed).

That said, Michael B. Jordan nailed it, as one of the best characters in the MCU, and that the music is some of the best that Marvel Studios has formed. Not to mention the city of Wakanda being highly detailed, I do want to get it on digital once it come out, for the visuals and the performances.

Watching this, I couldn’t help but think how well a Wakanda land would fit in Animal Kingdom. But I’m going to assume BP is considered an Avenger and would not be able to be in any kind of attraction in WDW.
That’s exactly what I thought!!!

The entire city would fit in ridiculously well in Africa. The scene with the king fights (by the waterfalls) was screaming RoL replacement.

This film KILLED it at the box office this weekend! It blew past every prediction. If I were a Disney exec I would totally be throwing around ideas for a Wakanda land.

I'm almost stunned at how big this movie has gotten. It looks like it'll go to $1 billion worldwide, which was unimaginable just a week or two ago.

Disney's original estimates were for an opening around $100 million domestic and $100 million overseas for a $200 million opening weekend haul.

Instead, it's shot well over $400 million in it first 4 days, and its US 4-day total is above TLJ.

I'm almost stunned at how big this movie has gotten. It looks like it'll go to $1 billion worldwide, which was unimaginable just a week or two ago.

Disney's original estimates were for an opening around $100 million domestic and $100 million overseas for a $200 million opening weekend haul.

Instead, it's shot well over $400 million in it first 4 days, and its US 4-day total is above TLJ.
As it turns out, representation not only matter, but is also profitable. Could not be happier.

This is why I never believe in the talk of "superhero fatigue".

As we've seen with the MCU, the tones of the movies can be completely different from movie to movie. As we've seen just within the past year movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman, which feature both under-represented on-screen genders and races in lead roles, have done amazingly well at the box office and smashed Hollywood stereotypes.

I do think Disney trying to bring Star Wars to this scale will be what ultimately breaks it though. There's so much content to draw from with comics where as with Star Wars, they're mostly just hiring people to do fan-fiction movies that are within the canon.

This is why I never believe in the talk of "superhero fatigue".

As we've seen with the MCU, the tones of the movies can be completely different from movie to movie. As we've seen just within the past year movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman, which feature both under-represented on-screen genders and races in lead roles, have done amazingly well at the box office and smashed Hollywood stereotypes.

I do think Disney trying to bring Star Wars to this scale will be what ultimately breaks it though. There's so much content to draw from with comics where as with Star Wars, they're mostly just hiring people to do fan-fiction movies that are within the canon.

Alright it may not be superhero fatigue but potentially story fatigue. With those two movies, those movies had to be successful to send a political message that females and POC can lead a film dominated usually by Caucasian white males. Way more damage would've been done if either WW or BP didn't do well.

At the same time, I think it also way too early to say if because even with WW hype, Justice League plummeted. While Avengers Infinity War probably won't flop, phase 3 heroes may suffer without the current lead in.

Alright it may not be superhero fatigue but potentially story fatigue. With those two movies, those movies had to be successful to send a political message that females and POC can lead a film dominated usually by Caucasian white males. Way more damage would've been done if either WW or BP didn't do well.

At the same time, I think it also way too early to say if because even with WW hype, Justice League plummeted. While Avengers Infinity War probably won't flop, phase 3 heroes may suffer without the current lead in.
I think DC did a bad job with marketing for JL.

The majority of people who saw Wonder Woman's opening weekend were female (55%-45%), many probably aren't completely into comic books. They may have loved Wonder Woman and the female empowerment, but just because WW is in JL, your average joe probably doesn't know who all is a part of Justice League. That needed to be stressed more.

And Infinity War will likely top The Last Jedi opening weekend at the very least, potentially challenge The Force Awakens for best of all-time.

Back to the box office quickly... BP adjusted up again to have the second-highest 4-day weekend ever at $242.5, just ahead of The Last Jedi ($241.5). Black Panther also had a record-breaking Monday with $40.2M, squeaking out The Force Awakens ($40.1M) for highest Monday gross of all-time.

Say what you want about superhero fatigue or story fatigue, but of the 18 movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far, Black Panther is only the 7th I've bothered to watch in the theater (and 10th overall). The representation on screen had everything to do with that.

I don't think the performance of JL speaks in any way to superheroes fatigue or story fatigue, it's WB-makes-garbage-DC-movies-except-WW fatigue. Zero effect on Marvel.

Maybe people just like entertaining, well-written stories that are unique and have something to say.
That would explain this movie doing well. The records this thing is breaking speaks to something else entirely.