Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 3

Has anyone else noticed that the rock work on the physical sets versus the rock that's seen on the screen are totally different shades. The real stalagmites are orange/ brown like in the original movie, but the one that you see on the screen is grayish/ blue as seen in the final movies.

I couldn't upload a picture of the screen scene that comes right after the first picture but if you see the video it's obvious they are totally different shades. It's not he ca,era lighting, I always see it when I'm riding it. I don't know if they did it just because idk? Has anyone else noticed this.

I think it's just supposed to be the color of the light that's reflecting on it. Torches = warm orange. Outside/Sky = cool blue

Does Madame Malkin’s sell a lot of robes and other clothing items? I was wondering how busy it is on a busy day. Too, do they hem the robes on-site... customers must stand on a box etc.?

Anyone have insight?

Last edited:
Does Madame Malkin’s sell a lot of robes and other clothing items? I was wondering how busy it is on a busy day. Too, do they hem the robes onsight... customers must stand on a box etc.?

Anyone have insight?
Dunno about the tailor but there are many who want to get their wand and robe the same place Harry did so sales are brisk.

Robes just come in standard sizes. A proper fit falls anywhere between the back of the knee and the ankle.

That they're mostly black obscures that you're drowning in fabric if you're round but short. Tall and skinny tends to have a bit extra fabric.

Most people look fine.

And for the record - the only difference between robes the employee Hogwarts students wear in the ride, shop, and shows and the ones available to purchase is the fabric of the lining.

The outer black is a synthetic mix on both. For the show students who carry frogs there's the special hole cut (younliterally cut the hole on one of the seams). In retail cloaks the lining is also synthetic. For costumes they're cotton, which fades and is removed and replaced periodically.

Also if you need a Hufflepuff but have a ton of Ravenclaw you rip them apart change the lining color and sew back together and change the patch.

Last edited:
Does Madame Malkin’s sell a lot of robes and other clothing items? I was wondering how busy it is on a busy day. Too, do they hem the robes on-site... customers must stand on a box etc.?

Anyone have insight?

I think they sell a lot. I do not think they hem, but they will help someone dress up, gather all the needed accessories, let you know what a student needs.

I think when there is one of those wet/cold days, sales really go up....I think that is how my daughter ended up with a robe and I feel I saw a lot more robes out that day.

I guess the big draw is that the robe has a wand pocket, so it makes it far easier to have a place to put that interactive stick they sell.

But to me, they do play up on the whole dress up thing, they make it a little like the Princess make over thing up the road, save they do it with shoppers as opposed to pre purchased packages....but they will put you on a box, in front of a mirror, and grab everything in your size that has your school colors on it.

So I wanted to show a family member how cool Diagon Alley looks, and found a walkthrough on youtube to show. While watching I realized that even after visiting Diagon Alley 3-4 times, I somehow always totally missed Knockturn Alley!!! which is super frustrating because it looks soooo cool! The next time I'll be in Universal will be for HHN28, and was wondering if knockturn alley is usually open during HHN?

So I wanted to show a family member how cool Diagon Alley looks, and found a walkthrough on youtube to show. While watching I realized that even after visiting Diagon Alley 3-4 times, I somehow always totally missed Knockturn Alley!!! which is super frustrating because it looks soooo cool! The next time I'll be in Universal will be for HHN28, and was wondering if knockturn alley is usually open during HHN?
It' been open during the past two HHN's. Knockturn is really cool. We've spent many dozens of hours in Diagon Alley & we still discover things we missed in Knockturn Alley & Diagon itself.

Check out Sting Alley too!

Does each wand room have a lot of backstage area to it? Doesn't seem like much space for a store.
So, has this new shop opened yet? I would love to see pictures of how they fit it in, added an entrance etc.
I honestly know nothing else except that they were gutting one of the rooms.

It could be opened to Carkitt Markit as its own storefront. Maybe like a small DVC type thing but for Wizarding travel agent stuff, small but big enough for whatever purpose they have in mind.

I honestly know nothing else except that they were gutting one of the rooms.

It could be opened to Carkitt Markit as its own storefront. Maybe like a small DVC type thing but for Wizarding travel agent stuff, small but big enough for whatever purpose they have in mind.
DVC in the wizarding world? The dementors have truly arrived!

I think that is around on the other side. I'm thinking over by Eternalles. That is pretty much a dead wall so I expect there is service space behind it and it would connect to the back room of Olivanders I think
Yes. My thoughts exactly. Maybe the clock parts windows display or Muggle museum.