Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Because you don't like the visible progress? Calm down.

Because there literally hasn't been a regular construction crew on site for the entirety of the Fall...

I'm just a tad frustrated is all. I'm sure it will pick up speed.

Hurray!

They finally *hopefully* have restarted working on site again. A bit difficult to fully assess if it's going to remain meaningful as they are only just stripping asphalt... but that's actually some progress.

If it's still planning to open for the next Olympics, we should see something about it in the closing ceremonies this Sunday. They probably won't feature it in the actual ceremony as they usually show where the next Winter Olympics is (like they did for Summer in Brazil, Mario!), however Comcast cannot pass up this opportunity. Maybe an extended commercial or something?

If it's still planning to open for the next Olympics, we should see something about it in the closing ceremonies this Sunday. They probably won't feature it in the actual ceremony as they usually show where the next Winter Olympics is (like they did for Summer in Brazil, Mario!), however Comcast cannot pass up this opportunity. Maybe an extended commercial or something?

The 2022 Olympics is not in Osaka or Tokyo. The 2022 Olympics will be in Beijing for the Winter Olympics.

I think we still have a long ways, but if we ever hear anything, I fully expect it to actually be in a Japanese Nintendo Direct.

The 2022 Olympics is not in Osaka or Tokyo. The 2022 Olympics will be in Beijing for the Winter Olympics.

I think we still have a long ways, but if we ever hear anything, I fully expect it to actually be in a Japanese Nintendo Direct.

Not sure if you misread my comment or I didn't state it clearly; I know the next winter Olympics are in China, which is why I said it probably won't be mentioned at the end of the actual ceremony. I do believe Comcast/NBC (and not the Olympics in their show) will at least mention USJ Nintendo at some point during the ceremony while they highlight the next summer olympics in Tokyo. Also, NBC owns the rights to the 2020 olympics in the US again, so Nintendo better be done by then or they're missing out; it may not be our version but by then ours will (might?) be underway.

Not sure if you misread my comment or I didn't state it clearly; I know the next winter Olympics are in China, which is why I said it probably won't be mentioned at the end of the actual ceremony. I do believe Comcast/NBC (and not the Olympics in their show) will at least mention USJ Nintendo at some point during the ceremony while they highlight the next summer olympics in Tokyo. Also, NBC owns the rights to the 2020 olympics in the US again, so Nintendo better be done by then or they're missing out; it may not be our version but by then ours will (might?) be underway.

I would think that we would not see anything come out for the 2020 Summer Olympics, as they didn't exactly hype up the 2018 Winter Olympics at Rio back in 2016.

I would put expectations for anything related to Super Nintendo World in Osaka to a really low margin, and even then, it will probably be more related to how Tokyo is marketing the 2020 Olympics, using more than just Mario.

Was it an exec who stated that they wanted it open for the Olympics or is that merely conjecture?

A few weeks ago it was reiterated by Nintendo's president that he hoped to see it ready by that time. It's toward the end of this article: Kimishima sheds light on development for mobile games, Nintendo Switch and Super Nintendo World - NinMobileNews
Finally, he shared that the Super Nintendo World theme park in Universal Japan is planned to be completed before the Summer Olympics take place in Tokyo in 2020.

I would think that we would not see anything come out for the 2020 Summer Olympics, as they didn't exactly hype up the 2018 Winter Olympics at Rio back in 2016.

I would put expectations for anything related to Super Nintendo World in Osaka to a really low margin, and even then, it will probably be more related to how Tokyo is marketing the 2020 Olympics, using more than just Mario.

NBC had a decent amount of coverage for the Winter Olympics in SK during Rio, especially when it came to NBC News. I remember they went to Pyeongchang to cover the construction as well as interview some people (don't remember who the people were, probably organizers or something). I haven't been watching the Olympics this year as much as I'd like to, so I'm unsure of any coverage as of yet but I imagine it would start kicking in towards the end of the Olympics this week.

I agree that the chances for something Nintendo Osaka aren't 100%, but a large part of modern Japanese culture is tech/video games/kawaii. If they didn't value this stuff as a country, they wouldn't have had Olympic Athletes pass a red ball (also Hello Kitty was featured multiple times) ultimately landing in their Prime Minister's hands, who then turned into Mario himself and went into a Warp Pipe, through the earth to Rio and popped up out of a warp pipe in Rio during the closing ceremonies.

If NBC doesn't capitalize on that synergy then someone should be fired.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Eh. If they built Diagon in 2.5 years including the Jaws demolition, they can get this up by July 2020 no problem.

Now, will Mario Kart actually work in July 2020? Who knows. But I don't think having it built by then will be an issue.
The Diagon construction happened in the US though. I think Potter in Japan took a lot longer

The Diagon construction happened in the US though. I think Potter in Japan took a lot longer

If I'm not mistaken, Hogsmeade in Osaka began work in October of 2012, about nearly 1.5 years before the July opening.

I would assume that Osaka works differently than Orlando, and that they didn't need to remove anything in the process for SNW, so I would assume once it goes up, it will go up fast.

SNW however, has had work done since June, clearing the main path to the land, installing infastructure, and prepping the land for further work to go along more at a faster rate. And it isn't like it's having DK as a part of the land either.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
If I'm not mistaken, Hogsmeade in Osaka began work in October of 2012, about nearly 1.5 years before the July opening.

I would assume that Osaka works differently than Orlando, and that they didn't need to remove anything in the process for SNW, so I would assume once it goes up, it will go up fast.

SNW however, has had work done since June, clearing the main path to the land, installing infastructure, and prepping the land for further work to go along more at a faster rate. And it isn't like it's having DK as a part of the land either.
For some reason, I was thinking that Japan started before Diagon construction started and ended after Diagon opened. Maybe that’s the time from initial announcement? Or I’m thinking about USH? Or I’m just crazy?

For some reason, I was thinking that Japan started before Diagon construction started and ended after Diagon opened. Maybe that’s the time from initial announcement? Or I’m thinking about USH? Or I’m just crazy?

USH announced Hogsmeade in 11', didn't began construction until late 2013 if I recall. But with Hollywood, your dealing with different regulations, and that it wasn't exactly when Comcast had complete ownership on NBCU until March 2013.

Reactions: GadgetGuru