Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DarKastle Closing @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Why exactly do people hate Merlin? I have no opinion of them, just wondering.

Merlin has cut a lot of stuff, such as now staggered openings so 2 b&m coasters are opening 2.5 hours after the first rides open. Also, their rides are obsessed with being the scariest thing ever or world's firsts

BBW was replaced with another coaster. And DarKastle's closure goes in the face of regional parks' push into the profitable Christmas event season. It shows a lack of vision from management and a bigger overall issue with the Busch/SeaWorld parks.

There are permits filed for what many think is major ride likely for 2019 or 2020. They may also know that the Oct haunt fests are big business now and want a flexible space for a haunt. Some are just looking to pile on. The park was impeccable last June during their food and wine fest. No signs of disrepair anywhere. Their major coaster ride operators were a blast during the load/unload process. So much so, I saw one on break later and stopped to say how impressed I was. A first. The next stop was Hershey Park and they were like Hitler Youth for the most part compared to BGW. Even the SIX Flags justice Leagues will be trash in 4 years time.

Merlin has cut a lot of stuff, such as now staggered openings so 2 b&m coasters are opening 2.5 hours after the first rides open. Also, their rides are obsessed with being the scariest thing ever or world's firsts

What park are you talking about, Merlin doesn't run BGW these days.

I wouldn’t look towards their British ops, but more of their Legoland presence and such. It’s a kick in the pants that the chain could use at the very least.

This is such a huge loss for this park. Yes, total Spider-Man rip-off to the point that I was like... "Welp, they got their hands on the blueprints." BUT the unique haunted castle theming made it so fun.

They should be embarrassed, especially since the replacement is another events venue..
I’ve never seen a theme park so eager to announce that one of their biggest rides will be replaced with nothing.

You know what they could’ve done? Scrap the simulator theater for the events venue and announce a restoration of DarkCastle. That would be more appealing fan the stupid VR crap.

I’ve never seen a theme park so eager to announce that one of their biggest rides will be replaced with nothing.

You know what they could’ve done? Scrap the simulator theater for the events venue and announce a restoration of DarkCastle. That would be more appealing fan the stupid VR crap.

That’s exactly what I said on the Parkscope podcast. Hell even get a new film and advertise as a new ride.

Depends on how great the huant is. Look, special seasonal events are driving profits at smaller, more regional parks. As we see with Christmas being HUGE at SDC and Dollywood and SEAS CEO Manby drove that bus. Here, you can double dip with Halloween and a change over to something Christmas related. Can be used for possible expanded food offering during food and wine all the while killing off a MX thorn in the side. Many has more freedom to explore Halloween than he did at Herschend. For all Tha HFE excels at on the Christmas front they are just now starting to expore the Halloween aspect outside of crafts and harvest theming in the fall.

Last edited:
This was a more expensive ride to build and maintain than a seasonal park could afford to support without the backing of AB anymore. It was a good ride and it will be missed, but ridership had really dropped off over the years and if it was a choice between maintaining Darkastle or some of the other things in the park (Loch Ness Monster, steam train, skyride, flume) which are older and can't be replaced, they made the right decision.

A company in a delicate financial situation has to sometimes make hard choices.

Regional parks are making a killing from seasonal events like Halloween Haunts, Holiday Celebrations, and Food+Drink Festivals. Especially bringing in major profits during what would otherwise be the off season (Q4). With it's size, I can easily see it being used for all the events.

This was a more expensive ride to build and maintain than a seasonal park could afford to support without the backing of AB anymore. It was a good ride and it will be missed, but ridership had really dropped off over the years and if it was a choice between maintaining Darkastle or some of the other things in the park (Loch Ness Monster, steam train, skyride, flume) which are older and can't be replaced, they made the right decision.

A company in a delicate financial situation has to sometimes make hard choices.

I've seen Silver Dollar City struggle to keep all the effects going on their classic darks. I doubt money is that much of an issue with them but whether or not it is still justified due to usage. Flooded Mine is nearly always walk on.

What Disneyhead said rings true here. It'll be a great use for a haunt and lines will be out the door on weekends in Sept and Oct.

Log Flumes are still poplar rides in the summer. I was there on a Sun in June during Food and Wine and DarKastle was a walk on and my teen kids were completely MEH over the experience. We aren't local, season pass fanboys, though. Even as one of those for SDC, I wish they'd redo Fire in the Hole with a new coaster with a drop track segment, it was only affirmed with our loving Verbolten, which replaced the beloved BBW.