Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

Not sure where to post this, but I'm starting to wonder about the old Wonders of Life pavilion.

Last month they were painting the roof, which, is uncharacteristic of Disney to do, but maybe it needed weather sealing anyway.

Today there's this:

And I've noticed there has been absolutely no mention of the Festival Center for this year's Flower & Garden, which starts next week. No mention on where seminars will be held. No mention of Disney Horticulture exhibit, which is usually in there. No mention on where to find festival merchandise. And there will not be a topiary in front of it according to the official list this year. Plus, usually the dates and times that the center will be open are posted. Nothing.

Sooo, is this where the new space restaurant will go? Rumors were it would go on the right side of Mission: Space. I've heard a rumor that Test Track's cars passing by was too loud, not sure on validity of that. But also, maybe they wanted more space... I mean, this does look like a big orange Mars base station from the outside, and it would put the space restaurant between two space based attractions.

Or, are they eyeing this for a new attraction?

Or, is the building in such bad shape they're bringing in a bunch of folks to help fix it up?

Or is nothing happening and Festival Center will open next week no problem?

Something fishy is going on.

Supposedly WoL will be demolished whenever they decide to use that plot and they likely aren't going to make that decision until GotG opens. Whatever goes there would likely be an expansion of the GotG area though (or Marvel, so Doctor Strange or something else Disney can use).

As far as I know, this is just a general refurbishment of the roof, as it was looking rough and was leaking. Companies aren't going to continue to spend money to hot their private events their if the place is falling apart, and I think that is more what this is for. Disney probably finally realized, even against their will, they have to do upkeep on the building if they want to rent it out as a private events center.

Supposedly WoL will be demolished whenever they decide to use that plot and they likely aren't going to make that decision until GotG opens. Whatever goes there would likely be an expansion of the GotG area though (or Marvel, so Doctor Strange or something else Disney can use).

I might be misremembering, but I believe Martin has said elsewhere that he was pleasantly surprised by the (extremely hypothetical and nowhere near greenlit) plan for the Wonders of Life plot. I can't imagine more Guardians or Marvel would inspire that reaction.

If there's any park that would need a decent events center, it's Epcot. Dollywood and BGW both lost rides for event space recently. Between Festival of the Arts, Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, and Festival of the Holidays, Epcot is definitely a candidate for some real event space development.

If WoL becomes part of an attraction, then maybe Innoventions or something else?

If there's any park that would need a decent events center, it's Epcot. Dollywood and BGW both lost rides for event space recently. Between Festival of the Arts, Flower & Garden, Food & Wine, and Festival of the Holidays, Epcot is definitely a candidate for some real event space development.

If WoL becomes part of an attraction, then maybe Innoventions or something else?

They have event space, they have World Showplace.

Man do I hate being right all the time...

Apparently Disney confirmed no Festival Center for Flower and Garden this year.

Glad I got lots of pictures and video inside during the last two events before they gut this thing.

Glad I got lots of pictures and video inside during the last two events before they gut this thing.
Well, just because its not a Festival Center for F&G doesn't automatically mean its done for good. WDWNT alluded to potentially using the space for retail and other things as they "supposedly" begin work on the Innoventions refub. The other theory is the space themed restaurant might go there due to noise issues with the site next to TT. The last theory, which you mentioned, was they had a mold or other roof based issue and couldn't get the space ready in time.

I'm actually thinking your theory is the most plausible at this point. They have so much going on around the resort, I don't see them starting on the space restaurant or Innoventions refub for a while.

Man do I hate being right all the time...

WDWNT jumps to conclusions a lot. Remember Stitch closing for good based on a CM saying something over the loudspeaker?

Well, just because its not a Festival Center for F&G doesn't automatically mean its done for good. WDWNT alluded to potentially using the space for retail and other things as they "supposedly" begin work on the Innoventions refub. The other theory is the space themed restaurant might go there due to noise issues with the site next to TT. The last theory, which you mentioned, was they had a mold or other roof based issue and couldn't get the space ready in time.

I'm actually thinking your theory is the most plausible at this point. They have so much going on around the resort, I don't see them starting on the space restaurant or Innoventions refub for a while.
I honestly feel that the space restaurant will be the second lost casualty of the D23 announcements, after the MK theater. We've seen absolutely no movement, and this was supposed to be their test for the window tech before Star Wars hotel. Maybe they'll do a space restaurant at the new Epcot resort instead, who knows.

And yea, I feel like the WoL pavilion is just getting refreshed and turned into a better version of the Festival Center, maybe cause of mold, maybe not. Food & Wine utilizes the space much more with the two show kitchens for exhibitions and seminars. The Flower and Garden stuff can be done where Light Lab was and the Odyssey for one year, no biggee.
WDWNT jumps to conclusions a lot. Remember Stitch closing for good based on a CM saying something over the loudspeaker?
Yes they jump to conclusions. It gets clicks, but only one small part of that article is relevant to me. (The rest is all the same speculative ideas I posted here yesterday. It's fun to hope we get more attractions, isn't it?)

Here's the only point that matters to me, emphasis mine:

Apparently something bigger is planned for this space as Disney announced today that it will no longer be the Festival Center for the event as it has for over 10 years now.
Now they may have misconstrued Disney's comment about not using it for this year's event, or, if they quoted it right, it will never be the F&G festival center again. Very interesting.

If anyone can find an actual quote from Disney, or wants to call their PR people for a comment, that'd be great. Thanks.

Body Wars was used as test programming for ST 2.0 and the new profiles. Otherwise I believe all the motion bases are decommissioned.
Yea, last urban explorer type update I saw a little while ago showed empty ride bays. They may have been sourced for spare parts by now.

If those in the picture are WDI, they are not there for fixing up the building if WDI isn't planning anything there.

The thing we can assume is there is planning. That’s it. Management and VPs will tour the park to point out weak spots and pain points to improve. It’s no secret why they visited WoL and Imagination and not TT or Soarin.

WDI can have ideas and make plans but it doesn’t mean they’re anywhere beyond blue sky or initial pitches. Unless the money is allocated from higher up the parks will chose the projects. If the money comes from the Board or elsewhere then more people will be involved and it’s less likely the parks will kill a project.

This is the VERY BEGINNING of a long term project and all expectations should be kept in place. This is the equivalent of test driving a car, there’s no commitment.

Based on what Martin has said, WDI finally realized the space is being wasted.

That said, it doesn’t mean it won’t operate as simply an events space for awhile before they get around to anything.

I bet you it's used as the Festival Center a few more times (maybe during F&W, since I'd argue that's the biggest of EPCOT's festivals), but eventually it closes.

Just wanted to address what @AliciaStella was saying about the Space restaurant last night.

I'd HIGHLY doubt the restaurant gets canceled. I understand it has been a rumor from somewhere (not sure where), but all the usual suspects on Magic that have been credible are saying it's a go still and you have to remember, this is a third party run restaurant (Patina). I don't see why Patina would pull out and Disney certainly would have no reason to cancel.

As to why we haven't seen movement on it - It's a 2019 opening and the lobby for the restaurant is already built (it will use the old HP Lounge). It's not a big build. Land clearing should be happening soon from what I understand.

Just wanted to address what @AliciaStella was saying about the Space restaurant last night.

I'd HIGHLY doubt the restaurant gets canceled. I understand it has been a rumor from somewhere (not sure where), but all the usual suspects on Magic that have been credible are saying it's a go still and you have to remember, this is a third party run restaurant (Patina). I don't see why Patina would pull out and Disney certainly would have no reason to cancel.
I haven’t heard it anywhere. Just hadn’t seen any movement. (Same with China’s new 360 Show.) Been hoping for work walls or more details announcements, like we’ve seen for Star Wars hotel.

And maybe Disney offered Patina the chance to run a fancy restaurant at the new Epcot resort instead? One I’d base on Horizons with 3 different dining areas: Space station, Seabase, or Desert Orchard. Oh, let me dream. ;)

I haven’t heard it anywhere. Just hadn’t seen any movement. (Same with China’s new 360 Show.) Been hoping for work walls or more details announcements, like we’ve seen for Star Wars hotel.

And maybe Disney offered Patina the chance to run a fancy restaurant at the new Epcot resort instead? One I’d base on Horizons with 3 different dining areas: Space station, Seabase, or Desert Orchard. Oh, let me dream. ;)
The thing about D23 is that it was Disney's big new dump... doesn't mean everything will start construction at the same time as it all has different schedules. I've heard China 360 isn't until next year. Of course, anything could be canceled at anytime, but I have no reason to believe so at this time for Epcot.

Now it does sound like the Marvel Land at DCA is wavering (as far as rides), but this isn't the thread for that.