Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Late 2019

Thanksgiving or later.
Ah right. So very late, then, because isn't Thanksgiving on the 24th November or a similar date? I'm British, so I don't really know when Thanksgiving is. That means it's going to be getting on for Christmas time when this opens. December really is quite late! Is it a strategy to get people visiting the park during off-peak periods or something?

Hey Matt (I recognize you from a UK forum site). The area is not ready to open until then, based on the construction rate and also with runaway railway opening that year, it works better to open things slowly than everything all at once. That time of year is always busy for the Disney parks due to halloween and Christmas being so closeby. Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge is opening earlier on the year and will most likely be the place for star wars enthusiasts, rather than tourists.

Hey Matt (I recognize you from a UK forum site). The area is not ready to open until then, based on the construction rate and also with runaway railway opening that year, it works better to open things slowly than everything all at once. That time of year is always busy for the Disney parks due to halloween and Christmas being so closeby. Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge is opening earlier on the year and will most likely be the place for star wars enthusiasts, rather than tourists.
Ah OK. Thanks @TPC! Also, about you recognising me, if you saw me on TowersStreet Talk or CoasterForce Forum, then you definitely recognise me!

Late 2019

Thanksgiving or later.

Have they considered delaying it to 2020 encase if issues arise with testing?

why is it crazy
one started well before the other, so DL is about 4 months or so ahead of MK
and i think its far too early to think when they will open

Honestly, it's more of an issue to where WDW could've started at a similar time to Anaheims version, as it would've allowed them to easily ensure that both can be worked on at the same time, to address the issues of their other versions at the same time.

I am betting this gets delayed to early 2020, as it really doesn't look anywhere near completed.

Honestly, it's more of an issue to where WDW could've started at a similar time to Anaheims version, as it would've allowed them to easily ensure that both can be worked on at the same time, to address the issues of their other versions at the same time.

I am betting this gets delayed to early 2020, as it really doesn't look anywhere near completed.
that i agree
they closed backlot forever ago
its almost like the Nintendo land area....delay because plans changed

Seems like some of the thunder will be kind of taken away from the opening of the DW opening.

That's been my feeling from day one. All of the hype and anticipation will culminate with the opening at Disneyland. That is what will draw the glowing media coverage and excitement. Just in terms of the zeitgeist (not crowds, of course), ours will be old news before it's even open.

I'm not talking about the construction schedule. I just think it's crazy that they would want them to open that far apart from each other. Seems like some of the thunder will be kind of taken away from the opening of the DW opening.

Actually all things considered, this is a good thing. This will let DL to take the initial crush of those people who have to see it right away. If they opened simultaneously, Half, or more, of those people would go to DHS. The park isn't going to be able to handle it as it is, so the more demand they can bleed off before then the better.

I really see no issue with DHS getting it 4 to 8 months after Disneyland. WDW will get swamped with bookings no matter when GESWL opens. Two openings actually extends the marketing, and the talk , for the P&R system......

DHS' version is opening second because the team that programs the ride systems is small and they can't do both at the same time. They had to chose which to open first. And because Disneyland is closer to Hollywood and can easily bring in A List celebrities for the Grand Opening combined with the fact that Disneyland has the capacity to handle a larger crowd (parking excepted), Disneyland won.

They also need time to finish Mickey's ride before SW:GE opens.

They really shouldn't have any testing issues. They have a fully functioning test model being built at Disneyland. All of the programming kinks should be fixed out there. Any delays they have in DHS should be construction related or just due to individual pieces of faulty equipment.

And because Disneyland is closer to Hollywood and can easily bring in A List celebrities for the Grand Opening

Yep. They're going to get the all-star opening. We're probably going to get Warwick Davis and the kid who played young Boba Fett.

And I love Warwick Davis! He was the sneaky MVP of Star Wars Celebration last year. He's delightful... but he's not George Lucas, Mark Hamill, J.J. Abrams, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, or John Boyega.

Does anyone else find the layout and quantity of pipes sticking up from this (what I assume to be the ride exit/gift shop) building particularly interesting?

Especially after seeing the retaining wall that runs for most of the berm, breaks at this point for an elevator/stair shaped gap.

DW00IUMX4AAknW6.jpg-large.jpg

Out of interest, is anyone expecting a big increase in attendance to DHS when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens, like the 30% increase that IOA got when WWoHP opened in 2010?

Out of interest, is anyone expecting a big increase in attendance to DHS when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens, like the 30% increase that IOA got when WWoHP opened in 2010?

Problem is DHS’s attendance is already significantly over estimated. 9 attractions and they pull in over ten million a year? No way, they’re a 6-7 mill a year park now.

This is something I have been wondering as I hear a lot of “wow biggest ever” talk. Star Wars has been in the parks for decades, with DHS being the Star Wars Park for awhile. I wonder if people are over estimating the amount of people who will go the first year. Not saying it’ll be none or small, but all other hype puts it at levels unprecedented and I do question that.