Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Concept for USH's 2nd Gate and How it Could Work

Universal (with Nintendo) heck even Disney (with Tomorrowland Shanghai) have started to do multi-level lands, so it's possible they would build vertical with the lands and attractions.

Only problem with a new park would be if there is enough attendance to justify. If Hollywood can get 2-3 on-site Universal themed hotels, I think it can hold.
At a certain point you need enough walkways for people to move. I'm not sure you can just multi level yourself out of that. A lot of major parks are bigger than these two parks would be combined. I think universal should stick to expanding Hollywood as one park because they would screw themselves on most all future expansion space if they max out the land with a second park. USJ is larger in area and has not tried to build a second park.

Hollywood doesn't really need on site hotels to keep up attendance. Disney is pretty limited in hotels at Disneyland and the parks are packed all the time. The market is just too large. If you build attractions the people will come.

At a certain point you need enough walkways for people to move. I'm not sure you can just multi level yourself out of that. A lot of major parks are bigger than these two parks would be combined. I think universal should stick to expanding Hollywood as one park because they would screw themselves on most all future expansion space if they max out the land with a second park. USJ is larger in area and has not tried to build a second park.

Hollywood doesn't really need on site hotels to keep up attendance. Disney is pretty limited in hotels at Disneyland and the parks are packed all the time. The market is just too large. If you build attractions the people will come.

Tokyo DisneySea did it far before what Galaxies Edge and Super Nintendo World will do.

And as far as the USJ debate goes, there were rumors actually on the plausibility of having a new USJ in Okinawa, off the coast of Japan. But that I now believe has turned the way of Universal Dubai and Universal Moscow.

USH, does need a hotel, as it doesn't have anything to keep guests on property, and that Hilton and Sheraton aren't licensed by Universal either, so it makes them almost direct competitors when you consider Universal possibly going against the expansion of the Hilton currently in Universal City.

Tokyo DisneySea did it far before what Galaxies Edge and Super Nintendo World will do.

And as far as the USJ debate goes, there were rumors actually on the plausibility of having a new USJ in Okinawa, off the coast of Japan. But that I now believe has turned the way of Universal Dubai and Universal Moscow.

USH, does need a hotel, as it doesn't have anything to keep guests on property, and that Hilton and Sheraton aren't licensed by Universal either, so it makes them almost direct competitors when you consider Universal possibly going against the expansion of the Hilton currently in Universal City.

The Okinawa park got cancelled because of anti-American sentiment on the island due to the US military presence and their consistent screw ups (DUIs, raping, etc). The park was also going to be an non IP based park. USJ issue is the fact the park is essentially land locked and there is not a lot of areas for them to expand. They do want another park though. This is not related to Universal Dubai or Universal Moscow (Universal Moscow also likely to get cancelled as Universal Executives have continued not being allowed access in the country in addition to multiple films being blocked.)

USH issue is it has to determine what it wants to be first. Do you build more theme park area which gives you visibility or do you build more production assets that brings in way more long term revenue.

Disney Sea is listed at 176 acres. I imagine it is less if you define the park boundaries but would still more than the combination of the USH parks. And they really don't "need" a hotel to make another park profitable given the local population if the rides are good enough. They absolutely should build them though if possible.

USH issue is it has to determine what it wants to be first. Do you build more theme park area which gives you visibility or do you build more production assets that brings in way more long term revenue.

Your assuming that the theme park can't bring long term revenue like how the Studio would (even though Hollywood has had high tax rates that have pushed productions to places like Georgia, Texas, Hawaii, Vancouver, and so many other places around the world).

I do believe there can and could be a balance between the two, as you don't have to rely on the space of a backlot to be successful all the time. I just think it depends on how Universal approaches things going forward, as you mentioned.

And they really don't "need" a hotel to make another park profitable given the local population if the rides are good enough. They absolutely should build them though if possible.

I would argue having a hotel or two would help allow Universal to up the resort capacity more than what it would mean for the parks. It would add incentive for them to stay on property, and in turn, allowing universal to gain profit from those who pay money to sleep right next to the park.

I don't think a second gate is going to happen for a least ten years. Otherwise, why is Diagon so heavily rumored to go in the tour plaza? USH still has several expansion pads to work with before expanding into a second park (WW, soundstages, CSI soundstages, 28, AA and SES, and tram plaza).

Also, if we get a second park, I would be very disappointed if we got more than one clone of a good ride from Orlando. I love Spiderman, their Mummy, MIB, Poseidon, and Kong, but if any of those are cloned, I would be disappointed knowing we could've gotten something different.

When you ask theme park fans about USH and how much we want and need a 2nd gate, they generally laugh and say "never going to happen", "not possible", ect. Well, it's very possible. Universal has the room, the infrastructure in place, they eventually just need to pull the trigger. The 2nd gate would be located on the opposite side of the original park. Where Falls Lake, iFly, War of the World, Psycho, Whoville, some maintenance buildings, and Fast and Furious Supercharged currently sit giving us about 40 acres of land to work with. Most of those facilities can be relocated, especially Falls Lake. The Psycho House has been moved in the past so the "destroying Hollywood history" argument holds no merit. The layout would look something like this:

View attachment 6171

The only major issue I see happening is how close Universal will be able to build to the homes. Knowing that Universal does own a majority of the homes along the ridge, I don't see this being an issue much longer.

So what will this park entail, it will consist of 6 lands.

Infinity Street: A main street-escque marketplace with an immersive story telling theater and Land of the Lost boat ride attraction (it ties in with the theme of the street perfectly)

Port of Europa: This land has 3 sublands, an Italian pavilion, London Street and French Square as well as a small lagoon, large enough to host a nighttime show. The London Street will house Kings Cross Theater, since the Hogwarts Express may not be a possibility I have come up with a concept to house a Jason Bourne themed stunt show held within the famous train station just like in the films.

Diagon Alley: Self Explanatory, slight layout change in order to fit the park's layout.

Sci-Fi City: Inspired by the popular land at Universal Singapore, this land will house 3 attractions. a Ready Player One simulator, Pacific Rim trackless shooter and a Voltron Legendary Defender play area. Essentially a life-size Lion of Voltron that you can climb into, play with buttons, slide down, ect.

Horror Island: This is Universal's ultimate love letter to the iconic Universal Monsters franchise. Set amonst a huge rock mountain (that also hides ET), the main Icon of this land will be Dracula's Castle. Here you can explore the main labyrinths and discover some of his biggest secrets. The Inner Sanctum is what every horror fan has wanted, a themed meet and greet where all the iconic Universal Monsters come out to play. This land also houses a large seated venue facing towards the lagoon where a mass capacity Water Arena type show can take place.

Lost Continent: Inspired by the land at IOA, this takes things a bit futher. The signature attractions are Skull Island Reign of Kong, a life size Kong meet and greet, a Water Rapids ride through Atlantis ruins, the popular Mythos Restaurant, Prehistoric Flyers and Poseidon's Fury.

Here is my vision in full:

View attachment 6172

What do you think? What changes would you make? I think it's totally possible for us to have a 2nd gate. They just have to be creative with the layout and prioritize story over IP. Though they do work hand in hand. Jaws Lake would eventually become the future expansion area and that would require another Star Way to the lower lot.

Terrible park. I wouldn't pay to visit that.

I'm on the side of maximizing USH first, before building a 2nd gate. This gives UC enough time to fully flesh out a 2nd gate, while at the same time creating an incredible 1st gate.

Whoa, I just thought about this. HOGSMEADE, DIAGON ALLEY, SUPER NINTENDO WORLD, JURASSIC WORLD all in 1 PARK. Now that would be incredible.

Definitely looks possible.

Building that parking garage really took up a lot of valuable space. I know it was needed, but they really should've found another location.

The Okinawa park got cancelled because of anti-American sentiment on the island due to the US military presence and their consistent screw ups (DUIs, raping, etc). The park was also going to be an non IP based park. USJ issue is the fact the park is essentially land locked and there is not a lot of areas for them to expand. They do want another park though. This is not related to Universal Dubai or Universal Moscow (Universal Moscow also likely to get cancelled as Universal Executives have continued not being allowed access in the country in addition to multiple films being blocked.)

Also with the current circumstances with Russia (and I don't want to discuss deep into the subject since this is a theme park forum), it might not be good for Universal to expand its park in Moscow, as doing so is equivalent of putting a park in North Korea. It's better to move into parks that are not hostile and are friendly to our nation, like Western Europe.

As for Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City really need to sort out to what they have first before they could do the 2nd park. I rather have the 2nd park be as large as either DCA or Disneyland so as to make the park very worthwhile. 43 acres is never gonna cut well with American theme park fans, as I believe Universal Hollywood has 200 acres of empty land left. We want something fun, something expansive, something immersive, and something that could blow your mind. I don't think we could pay for 43 acres of land, even though it's really impressive, as it would very underwhelming. So they need to plan something better.

Also with the current circumstances with Russia (and I don't want to discuss deep into the subject since this is a theme park forum), it might not be good for Universal to expand its park in Moscow, as doing so is equivalent of putting a park in North Korea. It's better to move into parks that are not hostile and are friendly to our nation, like Western Europe.

As for Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal City really need to sort out to what they have first before they could do the 2nd park. I rather have the 2nd park be as large as either DCA or Disneyland so as to make the park very worthwhile. 43 acres is never gonna cut well with American theme park fans, as I believe Universal Hollywood has 200 acres of empty land left. We want something fun, something expansive, something immersive, and something that could blow your mind. I don't think we could pay for 43 acres of land, even though it's really impressive, as it would very underwhelming. So they need to plan something better.
Out of curiosity, where is this 200 acres of land you speak of? The property as a whole is just shy of 500 acres. And most of it has been developed.

Being at the park yesterday, I realized that the sound stages that were rumored to go where WotW is has been relocated to where Red Sea was. I guess they want to keep their options open?