Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Skyliner - Gondola Transportation System

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So basically long for a gondola but quick for Disney.
I want to say yes, but I don't know for sure. I'd have to have a comparable project in a similar climate. The best that i've found for a comparison is the Hong Kong Gondola system.

Hong Kong (Ngong Ping 360) took a little more than 2.5 years, but used public funding and also ran into some snags due to a Typhoon that hit. Started beginning 2004, opened September 2006.

Reactions: Scott W.
I'd say long for Gondola system because this is more complex than a typical system. For the most part they are just two stations. So really, this is almost like 4/5 gondola systems. Granted, I'd say pole installations are much easier here than on a mountainside. But overall, the holdup was always going to be station construction. Thats going to go at normal Disney pace.

Gondolas don't take long to build. Tbh, this is going to end up being fairly long in terms of the norm for a Gondola project, but the project is fairly large in scope and a lot of ground work needed to be done, unlike at your average Ski Resort, due to Florida's climate.

To go along with your point..

The installation may be less technical than a mountain one, but I think the environmental conditions of being in a Disney Resort make it harder. For example, Beaver Creek just installed the new Red Buffalo lift last summer, installing multiple towers (5-10) per day. But they don't care about being seen installing towers, especially because its just deer and rabbits that see them. Also Disney has to clean up the mess that they make installing towers, repave if necessary, Disney-fi, etc. Mountain installations use helicopters so they have minor clean up to do afterwards and then let nature run its course.

What do you think all of the gray pipes are for? If electric then why so many? My current theme park sphinx...
Gray pipes are generally electrical conduits or raceways if you will. My guess is that at every tower there will be sensors mounted above the wheels that carry the cable to detect an issue or car that's misaligned. I would venture a guess and say that would be the main control room for the entire system and all sensors will lead back to this spot (referring to the Caribbean Beach station). On top of that there is a lot of individual motors involved to keep the cars moving around when it detaches from the main line. This is purely speculation and from past experiences with gondolas and chair lifts. I'm always looking around at how things work and try figure it out because I have the thirst/desire to know how everything works.

Reactions: JoeCamel
The International Gateway is never going to be the same again. I'm trying to work out if they'll expand the turnstiles or not, there isn't much space.

Unless guests are Sec Checked and Ticket Checked before Boarding and can go straight through it's gonna be a mess of an entrance

The International Gateway is never going to be the same again. I'm trying to work out if they'll expand the turnstiles or not, there isn't much space.

Unless guests are Sec Checked and Ticket Checked before Boarding and can go straight through it's gonna be a mess of an entrance

They may just get there own entrance into the park. I'm just not clear how security works in this case.

One thing I learned when I went to Magic Kingdom, the security wait at the Transportation center was minimal. When we got to Magic Kingdom, the line for security for "bus people" was huge.

The gateway entrance does fine with the Friendship boats. At least the Gondalas will be split into small groups, so the line should never back up. As long as the Cast Members keep the line moving, it's not like everyone arrives in droves like a Ferry boat or Monorail. Just small groups of like 5 or so.