Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Grinch (2018)

And they probably didn't want to a feature a Christmas song when marketing the movie in March.

Every Who Down in Whoville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch,Who lived just north of Whoville, Did NOT!
The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all,
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
Whatever the reason, His heart or his shoes,
He stood there on Christmas Eve, hating the Whos,
Staring down from his cave with a sour, Grinchy frown,
At the warm lighted windows below in their town.
For he knew every Who down in Whoville beneath,
Was busy now, hanging a mistletoe wreath.
"And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer,
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"
Then he growled, with his Grinch fingers nervously drumming,
"I MUST find some way to stop Christmas from coming!"
For Tomorrow, he knew, all the Who girls and boys,
Would wake bright and early. They'd rush for their toys!
And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise!
Noise! Noise! Noise!
That's one thing he hated! The NOISE!
NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!
Then the Whos, young and old, would sit down to a feast.
And they'd feast! And they'd feast! And they'd FEAST!
FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!
They would feast on Who-pudding, and rare Who-roast beast.
Which was something the Grinch couldn't stand in the least!
And THEN They'd do something He liked least of all!
Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small,
Would stand close together, with Christmas bells ringing.
They'd stand hand-in-hand. And the Whos would start singing!
They'd sing! And they'd sing! And they'd SING!
SING! SING! SING!
And the more the Grinch thought of this Who ChristmasSing,
The more the Grinch thought, "I must stop this whole thing!"

All the reasons the Grinch may hate Christmas otherwise this thread will just be random quotes

Every Who Down in Whoville Liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch,Who lived just north of Whoville, Did NOT!
The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all,
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
Whatever the reason, His heart or his shoes,
He stood there on Christmas Eve, hating the Whos,
Staring down from his cave with a sour, Grinchy frown,
At the warm lighted windows below in their town.
For he knew every Who down in Whoville beneath,
Was busy now, hanging a mistletoe wreath.
"And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer,
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"
Then he growled, with his Grinch fingers nervously drumming,
"I MUST find some way to stop Christmas from coming!"
For Tomorrow, he knew, all the Who girls and boys,
Would wake bright and early. They'd rush for their toys!
And then! Oh, the noise! Oh, the Noise!
Noise! Noise! Noise!
That's one thing he hated! The NOISE!
NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!
Then the Whos, young and old, would sit down to a feast.
And they'd feast! And they'd feast! And they'd FEAST!
FEAST! FEAST! FEAST!
They would feast on Who-pudding, and rare Who-roast beast.
Which was something the Grinch couldn't stand in the least!
And THEN They'd do something He liked least of all!
Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small,
Would stand close together, with Christmas bells ringing.
They'd stand hand-in-hand. And the Whos would start singing!
They'd sing! And they'd sing! And they'd SING!
SING! SING! SING!
And the more the Grinch thought of this Who ChristmasSing,
The more the Grinch thought, "I must stop this whole thing!"

All the reasons the Grinch may hate Christmas otherwise this thread will just be random quotes

And they probably didn't want to a feature a Christmas song when marketing the movie in March.

Yeah, even with the small bit of the inflatables, they aren't going to overly market it as a Christmas film, until later on.

I do think we'll get another trailer sooner than later (possibly by Incredibles 2), but that I do think that they are going to be a bit lesser on the holiday-oriented marketing until they need to be.

I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that it is not uncommon for trailers to include pop songs that aren't in the film.

It's not the fact that it's a pop song: it's their pop song. Illumination feels the incessant, irritating need to whack you at every single moment in their marketing that WE MADE DESPICABLE ME AND THE MINIONS THAT IS US YOU KNOW DESPICABLE ME MINIONS YES WE DID IT THAT GO SEE OUR MOVIE

Which brings me to...

Everyone freaking out about a Minion in the production studio title card...

"OH MY GOD! Why does Pixar insist on putting that stupid hopping lamp in every one of their films?"

You. That's what you sound like.

Really because in most Pixar trailers the logo shows up for a half second whereas the minion got his own 10-second little moment in this... the trailer... like, I don't mind it in the movie but a trailer is just absolutely absurd and painfully transparent.

Illumination's films are mediocre. They make a butt ton of cash which is infuriating but the real issue I have with them is their marketing barrage that is so annoyingly cloy and obvious. They will sell out the entire movie and bash your head in with a mallet and do everything under the sun to make you see their films, and some people find it annoying. It especially sucks when they trounce over other animated films that their creators put far more work and love into the product.

If you like Illumination: fine. But please don't try to make it seem like they aren't marketing first, story second.

"OH MY GOD! Why does Pixar insist on putting that stupid hopping lamp in every one of their films?"

Yeah sure, but Luxo Jr doesn't scream the word Pixar at me either.

Oh, please. It's not even remotely alike.
1) The Pixar logo takes a second or so at most out of most trailers. This was ten whole seconds of a trailer for the Grinch spent on a character from Despicable Me.
2) The Luxo Lamp is hardly even a character; it's nothing more than part of a logo. It represents part of Pixar's past. Meanwhile, Minions are purely there so people think "remember Desipcable Me?" and "remember the Minions?"; purely forced product placement and synergy. If it were Woody or Buzz showing up in the Pixar logo in every trailer, that'd be a fair argument, but don't act like Luxo Lamp and the Minions are even remotely comparable.
3) Minions are pretty much about the epitome of soulless, purely meant for marketing characters. So much so, that we even have to see them in trailers for movies that have nothing to do with minions, in the name of $ynergy. It's obnoxious.
It's not the fact that it's a pop song: it's their pop song. Illumination feels the incessant, irritating need to whack you at every single moment in their marketing that WE MADE DESPICABLE ME AND THE MINIONS THAT IS US YOU KNOW DESPICABLE ME MINIONS YES WE DID IT THAT GO SEE OUR MOVIE

Which brings me to...

Really because in most Pixar trailers the logo shows up for a half second whereas the minion got his own 10-second little moment in this... the trailer... like, I don't mind it in the movie but a trailer is just absolutely absurd and painfully transparent.

Illumination's films are mediocre. They make a butt ton of cash which is infuriating but the real issue I have with them is their marketing barrage that is so annoyingly cloy and obvious. They will sell out the entire movie and bash your head in with a mallet and do everything under the sun to make you see their films, and some people find it annoying. It especially sucks when they trounce over other animated films that their creators put far more work and love into the product.

If you like Illumination: fine. But please don't try to make it seem like they aren't marketing first, story second.
:agree::agree::agree:

I legit figured the purpose of the minion was to give the trailer enough time to stream at proper 1080p because that's exactly how long it took for me. :lol:

Which brings me to...

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

Never seen an Illumination film, so I really have no opinion on them as a studio, or the quality of their product. I'm just observing that people are actually complaining about a title card. A title card. If you want to complain about the LENGTH of the title card, then by all means do. But don't kvetch about a production studio using their most profitable and recognizable character to announce that this film uniquely belongs to them. Most people can't tell the difference between Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, Blue Sky, or Illumination at a glance. There's nothing wrong (no really) with a studio striving to let people know that THIS version a story you've seen a couple times already is being done by someone completely different.

To perhaps meddle in, the minions have become the Luxo of the Illumination Entertainment intros, since the very beginning of Illumination. For better or worse, they've been apart of all of the title cards, so why does it come to a shock that they are in the title card of the trailer.

I'm OK with the minions appearing from a quick cameo, but it just felt very unecessary in the trailer. I've seen the majority of illumination films and they are mostly either lazy or awful. However, the worst is Sing. The concept doesn't work whatsoever and doesn't even make sense, let alone seem like an interesting idea.

I'm OK with the minions appearing from a quick cameo, but it just felt very unecessary in the trailer. I've seen the majority of illumination films and they are mostly either lazy or awful. However, the worst is Sing. The concept doesn't work whatsoever and doesn't even make sense, let alone seem like an interesting idea.
So, I just read through the plot synopsis of Sing, and the story is essentially The Muppets. Theater falls into disarray. A show is put together to try and save it. Shenanigans ensue. Everyone learns it wasn't about the theater, it's about doing what you love.

I'm not seeing how it doesn't make sense.

Never seen an Illumination film, so I really have no opinion on them as a studio, or the quality of their product. I'm just observing that people are actually complaining about a title card. A title card. If you want to complain about the LENGTH of the title card, then by all means do. But don't kvetch about a production studio using their most profitable and recognizable character to announce that this film uniquely belongs to them. Most people can't tell the difference between Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, Blue Sky, or Illumination at a glance. There's nothing wrong (no really) with a studio striving to let people know that THIS version a story you've seen a couple times already is being done by someone completely different.

You clearly aren’t reading what we’re talking about, and have little knowledge of Illumination whatsoever so I’m not sure why you’re butting into the argument like this. My point has always been this: there are 10 seconds of a minion in a 2 1/2 min trailer for The Grinch. Not a quick 1 second shot of a minion. They spend time for audiences to see a minion first doing a funny thing. Another example of absurd, obnoxious marketing techniques that have plagued the existence of the studio since almost its inception.

If you’ve seen the movies and their trailers, many things will become much more clear about the fact that they are marketing first, story second.

The minion in the logo is nothing new and nothing significant.

The real issue you all have with it is the amount of time it takes up, especially for a trailer. Title cards have become ridiculously long these days. Simply look at the Black Panther or Doctor Strange Marvel title card for one of the biggest culprits.

You clearly aren’t reading what we’re talking about, and have little knowledge of Illumination whatsoever so I’m not sure why you’re butting into the argument like this. My point has always been this: there are 10 seconds of a minion in a 2 1/2 min trailer for The Grinch. Not a quick 1 second shot of a minion. They spend time for audiences to see a minion first doing a funny thing. Another example of absurd, obnoxious marketing techniques that have plagued the existence of the studio since almost its inception.

If you’ve seen the movies and their trailers, many things will become much more clear about the fact that they are marketing first, story second.
I'm "butting in" because people are complaining about a title card like it's indicative of a film. Complaints about the title card length are valid (as I've said already). Complaints about the actual movie are fine. But harping on what is the Illumination equivalent of Cinderella's Castle is just unreasonable, misdirected loathing.